Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: seamaiden ( )
Date: December 12, 2011 11:22PM

I haven't but I have always wanted to after researching my genealogy. Link below is the immigrant ancestors of my paternal line.
http://www.geocities.com/mikebisail/immigrant.html

Most native cultures are matrilineal, Meaning, if a child was fathered by someone outside the nation the mother was from, they usually stayed with the mother/ In the nation. However, seeing that native peoples didn't have rights until the 1920's some mixed families would try to pass them off as white. On some of the censuses of my family, there will be a note that they question someone is native.

This is me, what do you think?
http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s21/EvilStewie_bucket/meatevent.jpg

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/12/2011 11:56PM by seamaiden.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: December 13, 2011 02:28AM

I am admittedly only an "educated layman" on this subject, but I know enough to recognize unwarranted claims, particularly in the area of Native American ancestry.

If you want a site and test that's legitimate, I recommend National Geographic's genome project...

https://genographic.nationalgeographic.com/genographic/index.html

Posted by: Sandie ( )
Date: December 13, 2011 07:59AM

The NatGeo project will only give me, as a female, results on my maternal side.

With skeletons in the closet, I don't think I could talk my older brother into participating in the NatGeo project to obtain the paternal side of the family.

Posted by: Jesus Smith ( )
Date: December 13, 2011 10:12AM

Sandie Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The NatGeo project will only give me, as a female,
> results on my maternal side.
>
> With skeletons in the closet, I don't think I
> could talk my older brother into participating in
> the NatGeo project to obtain the paternal side of
> the family.

Sandie, there's a reason for this: You have two X chromosomes. Without a Y-chromosome, there is no unique way to find paternal lineage. If the dnatribes test claims it can get paternal lineage with female DNA, then it is a scam.

The solution is as quoted:
However, if you are a female and would like to learn about your paternal lineage, then a male relative—such as a father, a brother, or a paternal blood relative of your father's, such as his brother—can test his Y-chromosome DNA. The results will reveal a female's paternal lineage.

Posted by: Jesus Smith ( )
Date: December 13, 2011 10:17AM

What I wonder is what does the rare 47,XXX aneuploidy give in terms of which mitochondrial DNA it presents... I'm not was well versed in human genetics as others, but I would bet the result probably wouldn't change, given the MT encoding is probably transferred only on the X chromosome found in the egg.

Posted by: wittyname ( )
Date: December 13, 2011 10:37AM

Autosomal testing isn't a scam, but the results aren't what DNATribes implies (at least not on the homepage. Piecing together some of the FAQs sheds better light on what they do provide). This test is not a substitute for a Y-chromosome test, but I suppose it's the only option out there for women who have no surviving male links to their patrilineal line. Though at this point, it's probably a waste of money (especially for someone who is only second generation American). Here's some more info on Autosomal DNA testing: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genealogical_DNA_test#Geographic_origin_tests

(I did research on this a while ago when I was searching for an option as a second generation amercian with no remaining patrilineal links and very little information about that side of my family. In the end, I just accepted that there was no real option at this point)

Posted by: looking in ( )
Date: December 13, 2011 10:05AM

We've used the NGO to test my husband's DNA, as he knew nothing about his birth father, but were sure he was Asian. Turned out we were right.

I understood that females could only have their maternal genetic line traced because we don't have the "y" choromosome (ours is xx, men have xy).

Posted by: michaelm (not logged in) ( )
Date: December 13, 2011 05:20AM

This article is a must read about those DNA testing companies
http://web.williams.edu/go/native/tallbear_bolnick%20_dna.pdf

Posted by: Sandie ( )
Date: December 13, 2011 08:02AM

Posted by: marcionite ( )
Date: December 13, 2011 08:19AM

I did it and it pretty much reflected what shows up on our paper trail. I thought it was pretty interesting.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.