Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Quoth the Raven "Nevermo" ( )
Date: December 13, 2011 11:29AM

Steve from what you wrote you parents were big into promoting the santa myth, but it all seemed in good fun. you said that you helped with the myth making with your younger sibs and I don't remember you stating that you were upset when the truth came out, but I could be wrong. What did finding out santa was a myth mean to you?

Did your parents use santa as a control or was it all good fun? You compare santa belief with god belief but what if you had not had TSSC shoved down your throat, would the santa myth matter to you now? It seems that the real issue is, of course, TSSC, and santa just get tied in by association. If you were raised a non religious household, I doubt that you would even think of the santa myth or care about it.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: steve ( )
Date: December 13, 2011 11:48AM

Posted by: also steve ( )
Date: December 13, 2011 12:06PM

Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: December 13, 2011 01:23PM

Posted by: bignevermo ( )
Date: December 13, 2011 11:49AM

impossible for Steve Benson to evaluate this:

You compare santa belief with god belief but what if you had not had TSSC shoved down your throat, would the santa myth matter to you now.

no way to actually say...but from what i read... his parents were kinda "outliers" in this regard...not the norm in any neighborhood i spent time in... and i have lived in quite a few...his family seemed to like to perpetuate the Santa Myth to the Nth degree

just sayin

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/13/2011 11:49AM by bignevermo.

Date: December 13, 2011 12:02PM

Steve, have your reading skills left you? What I wrote was quite comprehendible.
I will attempt to break this down for you.

1. "Steve from what you wrote you parents were big into promoting the santa myth."

Didn't you write that your parents used sleigh bells and a flashlight with a red sock in the yard to make it look like rudolph's nose? This means that they were promoting the santa myth.

2. "you said that you helped with the myth making with your younger sibs and I don't remember you stating that you were upset when the truth came out, but I could be wrong. What did finding out santa was a myth mean to you?"

I assume at some point you found out that santa was a myth. How did you react to it?

3. "Did your parents use santa as a control or was it all good fun?"

Did you parents threaten you with sants to make you behave?

4. "You compare santa belief with god belief but what if you had not had TSSC shoved down your throat, would the santa myth matter to you now?"

If your parents had not forced the false god of Joe smith on you, do you think that you would find the santa myth so upsetting?

Posted by: steve ( )
Date: December 13, 2011 12:42PM

And I still don't know what you're talking about.

Posted by: Timothy ( )
Date: December 13, 2011 12:45PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/13/2011 12:45PM by Timothy.

Date: December 13, 2011 01:24PM

Date: December 13, 2011 12:20PM

Sorry, Steve B, wrong dude. I thought you were being obtuse. Which you are known to be.
Carry on!!!

Posted by: munchybotaz ( )
Date: December 13, 2011 12:23PM

It's a logical position. I think it's offensive to suggest, out of some bizarre discomfort with that position, that he has some extreme issue because of his upbringing.

Hmm, that feels familiar. What is it reminding me of? Oh, yeah ... Mormons saying we left the church because we were offended.

Date: December 13, 2011 01:35PM

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 12/13/2011 01:37PM by steve benson.

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: December 13, 2011 01:59PM

Good point, munchybotaz. I was thinking that while reading through another thread. Steve isn't the only "anti-Santa" here. Some of us aren't BIC, so obviously have different issues with Mormonism than Steve may have, and different upbringings. Yet, we still aren't Santa fans. There's a lot more to it than just having had a childhood in the belly of the beast. Otherwise, only BICs with uber-TBM families would question the Santa spectacle, which is not the case.

Date: December 13, 2011 02:01PM

Its not "Anti-Santa" its "Anti-Claus"

And I better not hear of anyone being "Anti-Santana"

That would be wrong on so many levels.

Timothy

Date: December 13, 2011 12:37PM

The crux of my question was actually, if not for tssc, would steve react to santa as he does? It seems that the two are linked based on his posts. If he didn't have to reject the church, which is a huge deal, would he have to reject santa, which is the minor issue.

It was just out of curiousity that i asked about how reacted to santa, and I got the impression it was no bid deal, otherwise he probably would have mentioned it before.

Date: December 13, 2011 01:38PM

For instance, Tom Flynn, author of "The Trouble with Christmas," is a self-described fully recovered Catholic and Austin Cline, who holds a Masters of Arts from Princeton, doesn't note in his bio any personal Mormon membership history.

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 12/13/2011 01:54PM by steve benson.

Date: December 13, 2011 12:46PM

"If things were different, would you feel differently?"

???????

Timothy

Date: December 13, 2011 01:29PM

"I used to attack anyone who didn’t believe what I believed, now I attack anyone who does not believe in non belief."

(written and posted by "Quoth the Raven 'Nevermo,'" December 11, 2011)
_____

Which prompted this request for clarification:

"'anyone who does not believe in non belief.' ... Huh ?

"English translation please."

(posted by "Dave the Atheist," December 11, 2011)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/13/2011 01:34PM by steve benson.

Date: December 13, 2011 01:03PM

Are you making your own BBC mini-series on this topic? You've posted more than one of your own threads on the subject now and, judging from your own words, you do appear to be interested in mini-series:

"Steve, my comment about you getting a life (as opposed to you writing more mini-series about your well known feelings about god and santa) must have caused you deep emotional distress, since you have quoted me many times. Honey, I am so sorry I told you to get a life. Don’t get a life just because I thoughtlessly said so. Really, having no life is OK with me. The BBC always needs more mini series. Will you dress up in boots and top hat?-- those are very popular mini series with the BBC crowd."

(Posted by: Quoth the Raven "Nevermo," Date: December 11, 2011 10:08PM, Re: In either case, a high-school level of mental engagement)
____

Might I suggest you follow your own advice and "get a life"? Nah, that would hit too close to home. Please proceed with the production of your mini-series. Hope it makes it to BBC. :)

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 12/13/2011 02:30PM by steve benson.

Posted by: derrida ( )
Date: December 13, 2011 05:04PM

What about the Easter Bunny?

Posted by: thingsithink ( )
Date: December 13, 2011 05:40PM

derrida,

Please, not yet. Don't ruin the sequel. :)

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.