Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: December 13, 2011 01:43PM

For those who keep count of the number of threads on the same topic, and either complain about it or worry about it, here's how I look at it.

If threads weren't closed at 30 posts, there could be only one thread on a given topic, with 173 replies. Would it be better to have a huge long thread, and only one of them, on subjects you don't like or disagree with or hope no TBMs have to look at?

We must have had 1000 threads through the years on polygamy, maybe 900 on the BoA, around 1562 on what the GAs know, or don't, 3789 on JS, and a flurry of Smithmas musings a coupla yrs back when BYU featured Baby Joseph in their Nativity instead of the more mainstream Christian scene that includes Baby Jesus, just to be traditional.

I could not possibly care less about the BoA. I rarely open threads about it. Just not interested. Don't know about it, don't understand it, just don't care. When someone who is keen on the subject writes a post about it, no offence but I'm not likely to participate in the discussion or follow the thread.

I don't, though, tell them I'm sick of the topic or ask why they're talking about the stupid BoA again and if the discussion goes long and a Part 2 thread begins I don't get too revved up about it. If that's what some people want to discuss, hey, that's what RfM is here for. I can skip over that sub line, others may choose to click on it and enjoy.

It's not a case of me telling others how to feel or what to do - I'm genuinely mystified as to why some people are keeping count of the numbers of threads that appear on certain topics. Why does it matter?

And yeah, put me firmly in the camp of those who think that questioners/seekers/lurkers have to take the board as they find it - it is what it is - rather than having posters choose only "approved" topics or write with a view to avoiding "offence" to any potential TBM or other reader. I'm not saying anything goes and we don't care about the sensibilities of others, just that if we stick to the board guidelines in the way we post then the board should be in a reasonable enough state for even newbies and lurkers to find value here, without our conversations being stunted due to worry about possibly giving offence.

For me at least, one of the most valuable things here has been experiencing people's honest, straightforward opinions and getting accustomed to people disagreeing with each other. I'd far rather know honestly what's up than live in a dream world, which can happen if people are so focused on the merits of being "nice" that they never produce an honest statement and don't want to hear your real opinion either.

I hope that everyone gets benefit from the board, whatever the season and no matter what's going on in the world. I look at it as being a matter of where *I* am at in any given moment - sometimes I enjoy the cut and thrust and other times I stay away from it, depending on how I feel or what I need, as well as my current circumstances.

In December, I expect the annual discussions about religious belief around the season, Santa, Smithmas, etc. It's what people want to talk about. I usually find it interesting and fun, even. If, though, it gets too much for me I just turn up my Christmas music louder and enjoy my favourite tunes (that don't include "Here Comes Santa Claus" or "Santa Baby"!)

Fortunately for me, I don't care how many threads appear on the same topic. If I don't like one I can easily move onto another one. That's one big advantage of being on such an active board and having so many fine posters.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/13/2011 01:49PM by Nightingale.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: December 13, 2011 01:47PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/13/2011 01:48PM by steve benson.

Date: December 13, 2011 01:50PM

Posted by: derrida ( )
Date: December 13, 2011 03:52PM

Posted by: Timothy ( )
Date: December 13, 2011 01:51PM

... how many of the day's folk singers were actually protest singers.

Dylan's reply; "A hundred and twenty-seven ... I think."

So that's my answer, Nighty. A hundred and twenty-seven ... I think.

But don't quote me on that.

Timothy

Date: December 13, 2011 01:53PM

Date: December 13, 2011 01:55PM

You believe that don't you?

BTW, that's the one-hundred and seventh time I've used that line!

Too much?

Timothy

Date: December 13, 2011 02:01PM

"...that's the one-hundred and seventh time I've used that line!
Too much?"

It appears that some would say so, Timothy!

I worked with an MD way back who would repeat his jokes over and over and over so not only all the staff but every single one of the patients had heard them all repeatedly. You'd think that would be annoying. Strangely, it made him funnier. :)

Date: December 13, 2011 04:01PM

+4!

Posted by: elee ( )
Date: December 13, 2011 02:01PM

Date: December 13, 2011 02:02PM

What was the question again?

Timothy

Not sure.

Date: December 13, 2011 02:05PM

Date: December 13, 2011 02:07PM

That's mean-spirited, hateful atheists.

You can't just be an atheist round these parts.

Timothy

Date: December 13, 2011 02:07PM

Date: December 13, 2011 03:59PM

Date: December 13, 2011 02:09PM

Sign of the beast.

Date: December 13, 2011 02:06PM

There are 50 threads on each page and dozens of pages.

I can easily skip over one or two sub lines that indicate I'm unlikely to enjoy the post or am not interested in the topic.

Three or four even. :)

Date: December 13, 2011 02:30PM

I think RFM needs better forum management software. The idea that a thread dies after 30 to 40 posts, and so a conversation has to get jump-started in yet another tangentially titled thread, and another, and another is ludicrous. Most forums will have something like sections for different topics. Threads can be closed by moderators, but active threads are usually allowed to sprout and vine IN their section and threads can grow (mixed metaphors I know), so that people can track them. The tracking function at RFM seems pointless because people keep changing the Subject titles.

Date: December 13, 2011 02:37PM

We must have something to conform to. Something that allows us to utilize the fewest brain cells possible. Something that everyone else is doing. Something that ...

Wait, didn't we just leave that party?

Timothy

Posted by: Outcast ( )
Date: December 13, 2011 02:44PM

If all the atheists had little red angry faces next to their screen name. Then I can maneuver around them and save time. Yeah, that'd be great.

Date: December 13, 2011 02:47PM

. . . I can focus in on them and have myself a good laugh.

Yeah, that'd be hilarious. :)

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 12/13/2011 02:49PM by steve benson.

Date: December 13, 2011 02:52PM

... how would you be able to tell the difference between believers and trolls?

And I really despise this simple "atheist" crap (see post above). Its hateful, mean-spirited, bully atheists damnit!

Timothy

Posted by: Outcast ( )
Date: December 13, 2011 03:03PM

You are hilarious and so awesome, I mean having oodles of time to re-edit all your posts in between drawing cartoons for a living. Pretty sweet existence. :)

Date: December 13, 2011 03:06PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/13/2011 03:06PM by steve benson.

Date: December 13, 2011 03:54PM

Thinking...isn't it about...TIME?

Date: December 13, 2011 03:56PM

Who are all these believers you keep obsessing about?

Names man.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: December 13, 2011 06:50PM

Anyone who writes a thread benefits from doing so. Those who read it also benefit because they could skip by it if it didn't fulfill an interest or need.

All those who respond also benefit. They wouldn't take the trouble if they weren't interested.

And so it goes with writers, readers, and private conversations passing along humor, widom, and useful information.

There's a huge but not unlimited number of interesting topics on mormonism. We see the same ones again and again. Anyone who doesn't like the topics stressed on RfM can contribute a new one or they can leave the board, go for a walk or learn a language.

Thank you for bringing this up, Nightingale.

Posted by: snb ( )
Date: December 13, 2011 06:52PM

I'm not sure exactly which thread or comment you are referring to, but I'd have to say that I totally agree with your argument.

Posted by: forestpal ( )
Date: December 13, 2011 07:37PM

Thanks, Nightingale. I agree with you. Variety is the spice of life.

By the way, it was a BofA thread that blew my mind right out of its Mormon rut! I'm glad someone posted about it that day. Now, several years later, I'm glad that I don't have to think about that garbage anymore. I appreciate it when someone posts about BofA, so some other poor newbie can discover the Truth. These topics are RFM traditions!

I'm looking forward to all the seasonal Christmas posts. I enjoy re-posts, too. Posts about personal problems are valuable, because we share many of the same problems, trying to recover from Mormonism. That is our goal, and there are many, many ways to reach it.

My avenue led me to Christianity. I do skip the posts on the subject of atheism itself--yet the atheists write some of the best posts, ever, on all other subjects. I'm learning, outside of the cult, that most of the time, someone's religious beliefs are just a non-issue. Some of my best friends are rooting for Romney, and that doesn't matter, either. How are we to learn tolerance, if we start restricting this RFM board, like some damn country club, or something.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 12/13/2011 07:41PM by forestpal.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: December 13, 2011 09:35PM

Don't forget to specify who may participate.

:-)

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: December 13, 2011 09:43PM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.