Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: December 13, 2011 07:01PM

Or "Church of Latter-day Saints?"

I giggle a little because they so often leave Jesus out of the name.

If others have mentioned this lately, I'm sorry, I missed it.

I seldom heard references to the mormon church before there were national mormon political guys in the news. Now the name comes up so often, they've had to shorten it and it still sounds awkward and too long at that.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: December 13, 2011 08:24PM

Shows their level of incompetence -- they know they are to get names correct. How embarrassing for them.

Posted by: forestpal ( )
Date: December 13, 2011 08:50PM

We should insist on "Mormons" or "LDS" without Jesus, Christ, Saints or Church in the name at all. I object to every one of those words. "Church" should be "cult", and what's with calling themselves "The Saints?"

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: December 13, 2011 08:52PM

It's the Church that's unintentionally driving it. The Mormon church doesn't give people very many comfortable options. They're not allowed to say "Mormon church." "LDS church" sounds like an illegal drug, and many people don't know what it is. "The Church of Jesus Christ" could mean anything. "The Church" means the Catholic church. "The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints" is too damn long. So, people say "The Church of Latter-day Saints" because it's reasonable short, and everybody knows it means the "Mormon church" that you're not supposed to say, because of the old commercials they used to do.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/13/2011 08:54PM by Makurosu.

Posted by: Lilith ( )
Date: December 13, 2011 09:07PM

In the Book of Mormon musical the song Two By Two makes wonderful fun of the whole thing with the name.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.