Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: AmIDarkNow? ( )
Date: December 14, 2011 12:48PM

I am trying to put together a list of Church sanctioned and published doctrine, advice, admonitions to shun, ignore, put away or shut out ex-mo and doubting family even if done in a righteous manner.
The scriptures, JOD, Ensign, Gospel Doctrine or any published source that depicts doubters and non-believers as persons of suspicion and other degrading descriptions and characteristics is what I'm looking for.

My TBM brother told me that the church does not teach shunning after I told him of the behavior of members towards me after my disaffection with the church. I was going to let it go and have done so for some time now. He needs to know the truth. Not trying to de-convert him. Just trying to show him that I have not made the statement that “The church actually teaches shunning” in error. He is an over the pulpit believer and doesn’t read much.

I’ll bet somewhere someone has already started such a list. Anything you can give or steer me to is appreciated.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/14/2011 12:49PM by AmIDarkNow?.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: lapsed ( )
Date: December 14, 2011 12:53PM

I believe Dalin Oaks said in a fairly recent GC talk that parents are not to go easy on kids who leave the church.

Posted by: imalive ( )
Date: December 14, 2011 12:58PM

You are thinking of his abominable talk "Love and Law" from GC October 2009:

http://lds.org/ensign/2009/11/love-and-law?lang=eng

Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: December 15, 2011 10:31AM

If a child or relative of mine forsakes the Gospel, the holy Priesthood, his God, and the kingdom of God, farewell to that child or relative, whether near or distant. I own none as relatives, only those who love and serve our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ. All that belong to my Father's house I own. I love them, I delight in their society, no matter whether they are poor or rich, learned or unlearned, if they observe the laws of the kingdom of God and live according to it.

Remarks by President BRIGHAM YOUNG made in the Tabernacle,

Great Salt Lake City, January 19, 1862.

Journal of Discourses 9:154

Posted by: RAG ( )
Date: December 15, 2011 10:39AM

...states that unbelievers are unclean and commune with "darkness".

14 Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness?

15 And what concord hath Christ with Belial? or what part hath he that believeth with an infidel?

16 And what agreement hath the temple of God with idols? for ye are the temple of the living God; as God hath said, I will dwell in them, and walk in them; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people.

17 Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing; and I will receive you,

Posted by: helemon ( )
Date: December 15, 2011 11:05AM

The temple interview question about associating with apostates is another.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.