Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Formerly known as TBM ( )
Date: December 15, 2011 01:48AM

Probably 95% of my FB friends are very very mormon, and it's getting to me. The latest:
"Life is bigger than just this earth. Our Heavenly Father is a just Father but also a merciful one. Isaiah 12:2 'I will trust and not be afraid.'"

For those of you that have followed me. This reminds me heavely of the "I will obey, amen." MTC incident. Also, God is starting to sound less and less merciful to me...

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: December 15, 2011 04:21AM

Do what every 13 year old Mormon kid does. Create two face book pages. One for all your parents and good Mormon friends so you can keep in touch with them (and also throw them off the trail) and your real facebook page where you and your real friends talk about whats really on your mind.

Actually, you don't even have to do that with the new privacy settings. You can put set up your TBM friends so you only see their posts, and they yours, if you want to communicate with them over a specific idea.

Posted by: imalive ( )
Date: December 15, 2011 12:55PM

I've done that myself. I have one Facebook page for all the TBMers and one for everybody else. But I still haven't found soneone on here yet to friend on Facebook.

Posted by: freeman ( )
Date: December 15, 2011 06:07PM

And I can tell when all my nieces have done this because I get a friends suggestion for their "private" accounts!

Posted by: luckychucky ( )
Date: December 15, 2011 04:24AM

time for new friends and privy seyyings. I'll friend you if you want. just ask here and i'll supply the info.

Posted by: janebond462 ( )
Date: December 15, 2011 05:56AM

I'll second that idea! I'm FB friends with a number of RfM-ers. They've made my FB much more interesting & entertaining!

Posted by: RPackham ( )
Date: December 15, 2011 11:24AM

When I got up to 474 "friends" I realized that FB wasn't worth the effort, time, and aggravation, so I deleted my account (which wasn't easy - FB is like the Mormon church: you can become "inactive" but they keep all your data and make you wait 30 days to actually delete you).

I am so relieved to be "out"! I have more time, and my REAL friends keep in touch via e-mail and this board.

Posted by: Tabula Rasa ( )
Date: December 15, 2011 11:26AM

I use it primarily for one thing: Words with Friends. Some of them cheat, however. Little basquards!

Ron

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: December 15, 2011 12:36PM

Set up FB the way you want it for your personal use. If you don't like what you have now, change your privacy settings, and/or use unsubscribe, and/or unfriend people, and/or have two accounts.
Or, close it.

I find that unsubscribe works well for some posters that post things I am not interested in, but others are.

I don't talk to everyone I want to keep in contact with all that often, so I use FB to keep in touch, share pics, etc.

Posted by: Queen of Denial ( )
Date: December 15, 2011 12:45PM

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: December 15, 2011 12:52PM

I hate FB aout the same as I hate going to church.

Posted by: athreehourbore ( )
Date: December 15, 2011 01:00PM

Facebook rules for Secret Groups of exmormons. Go there and vent to your heart's content!

Posted by: ginger ( )
Date: December 15, 2011 04:36PM

How do you find these secret groups? I want to join in on the fun.

Posted by: snowball ( )
Date: December 15, 2011 03:54PM

One relative of mine put up a pic of the Satan actors together, and said it was a friendly reminder to go to the temple. Their Satanic presence tempted me to comment:

"Rather than do so I would suffer my life to be taken."

I resisted those temptations. I try to keep out of Mormonism related spitting contests with the family.

Posted by: Raptor Jesus ( )
Date: December 15, 2011 03:57PM

Posted by: hello ( )
Date: December 15, 2011 04:22PM

I have no problems with facebook. I never go there.

Posted by: holistic ( )
Date: December 15, 2011 04:49PM

I deleted my facebook the week after conference. I was fed up with the many many statuses about how great conference was. That was just the straw that broke my camel. My former best friend/cousin text me and said...ohh..now all our funny comments are gone. That was her one concern.

I made a bold statement the week before I deleted it and left it on there for about a week and then pushed delete account. My brother-in-law a couple days into my bold comment commented on my wall saying..."exactly when are you deleting facebook?" He was like... "promise to write." I wrote under his comment..."I am choosing not take offense to this". we both have intense personalities. He is a cop-btw. It may have not been the best thing to do but I am happy that I told them off in a scientific way and saying all I ever wanted was love and acceptance. People continually chose to crucify people.

I haven't shared this on here yet but this year in May, my aunt who was 43 committed suicide. She was considered "wayward" her whole life married 3 times. (her first super good looking husband turned to be gay) She was beautiful. She got heavily into abusing alcohol and became extremely extremely skinny unhealthy...went to a couple treatment places throughout her 30's. When I hit my teens and twenties we became very close. I never judged her when I was a believing Mormon. I liked her because she was different and funny we were close. Not super close but i was the closest out of everyone to her. Looking back I feel guilty for not helping her more. About two years ago we went kayaking and we talked about the church...she was still a believing mormon..hadn't done her research but didn't even know much about the church in the first place. We sort of lost touch the last two years of her life. I have been going through a lot with me leaving the church and sort of kept to myself and all.

I didn't speak out against the church openly to family or on facebook until she died. This year many many have stopped talking to me. She is the one that gives me strength--her story and pain drove me to cut a lot of my family off. Her mom--my gma, is one of the most true blue believers I have ever met. Absolutely crazy-- She has a huge propane tank in the back of her house...endless cans of food storage under her house. A couple years ago she was calling her house the nauvoo house and it will be the place where people will come flock to when the end of days come. She has a bumper sticker that says "Jesus is coming soon" I saw it this summer and thought..wow...grandma. Growing up she would tell me that p. blessing said she would live until Jesus comes again. So she is convinced he will be here soon...she is in her mid 80's. She called me the wayward grand daughter this summer at a bbq. Fourth of July. She lives in Montana --where a lot of my family lives. I live in AZ...far away from it all. I said gma...you really don't want to get into it with me and started talking to my sweet mom. Anyways that's my life. Do what's best for you...look deep inside yourself. i really don't regret deleting my account, I felt liberated.

Last night I turned to my boyfriend and said.."I am kind of embarrassed how I went off fbook to everyone. I don't have that same anger I had in Oct. I am healing more and more." with a big smile on my face. He said, "No, you are more than justified. That is a cult and you went through so much. You are so strong." Then we spend off on our rollerblades. haha...nerds..but a great work out! Take care everyone!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/15/2011 04:59PM by holistic.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.