Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: m ( )
Date: December 15, 2011 01:11PM

can someone elaborate on this. I was told BS on this subject
when I brought it up and had no reference.

can you guys help with a credible source?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: captainmoroni ( )
Date: December 15, 2011 01:22PM

This website has good analysis and statistics on church records. Show him this.

http://www.mormoninformation.com/stats.htm

Also, I bear my testimony that I have seen Third World stakes and I calculated that we didn't even know where 70% of our members were. We tried "reactivation" drives all the time only to find out that our targets were either dead or didn't know that they were Mormon. They are still on the records in SLC.

Cumorah.com is an LDS site that also has an extensive study on true church membership.

Also, the church counts children born to converts as "children of record" rather than actual baptisms at 8. So we are counting all kinds of kids that will never get baptized as members as well.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/15/2011 01:25PM by captainmoroni.

Posted by: anonow ( )
Date: December 15, 2011 01:25PM

There is something related to genealogy about the 110 years. If there is no valid confirmation as to a person's death date, temple work cannot be done for them until 110 years after their birth date.

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: December 15, 2011 01:27PM

The "member loss" categories in each of the above analyses fluctuated vastly over the years, yielding no appreciable pattern, especially when contrasted with the relative predictability of all the other statistics taken alone. Although this could be attributed to rounding and/or clerical error (since individual membership records are handled on the local level), it fails to account for the "ghost members" created in 1975, 1985, and 1999. This is because not only is it impossible to count members who do not exist, it is also highly unlikely (to say the least) that no members died during those years. This, along with the fact that all records of missing members are counted until they reach the unlikely age of 110, makes it clear that the membership statistics revealed by the LDS Church each year probably ought to be viewed with a measure of skepticism.

From mormoninformation.com

Posted by: WiserWomanNow ( )
Date: December 15, 2011 01:32PM

From the link above:

"An official in the Church Office Building reports that for approximately the last 30 years 'children of record' have been included in the membership total, not children who are baptized at age 8. In other words, children blessed in Sacrament Meeting and children age 7 or less of converts are immediately included in the aggregate membership total. So for purposes of the church's increase, the statistic titled 'increase in children of record" should be considered in the total, not "eight-year-olds baptized,' 'eight-year-old children of record baptized,' or 'children of record baptized.'"

Posted by: seamaiden ( )
Date: December 15, 2011 06:12PM

So how do you go about removing your child name? I have a harder time getting out then I did getting in!! Stupid!!!

Posted by: jpt ( )
Date: December 15, 2011 03:18PM

and it will probably exist long after 110 years in this genealogy-fixated organization.

They don't tell us about their money, and they're not going to tell us how they count membership, (or at least honestly). The 110 issue is just one instance of counting that shouldn't be applicable.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: December 15, 2011 03:37PM

I think (yeah Right) that figure applies to people who the morg has 'lost' (or people who LOST THE MORG...

Since they don't know where 'the lost' are, they assume they're still alive, still members because they don't "know" otherwise.

this, to them, affirms the ward-stake-membership plan, where they intend to track every member through their entire lives.

Posted by: Nona ( )
Date: December 15, 2011 08:17PM

You only get kept on the records until you're 110 if the church doesn't know where you are. If you die, and the church knows about it, or if you (somehow) resign from the church, or get excommunicated, you can be not counted in their membership numbers before the age of 110. But if you kind of disappear and no mormons know where you are, so they can't contact you, you'll be counted until you're 110.

Date: December 15, 2011 08:53PM

…according to “Demon of Kolob” (a past employee in the records dept. at the COB.)

According to D of K, if you resign, you are no longer counted as a member at the *ward or stake* level, but you are STILL included in the TOTAL membership count.

Here is the link to the relevant thread. If you choose to look at the thread, suggest you read ALL of Demon of Kolob’s posts within the thread, for complete information.

http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,341577,341600#msg-341600

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: December 15, 2011 09:20PM

That would make them look bad.

Date: December 15, 2011 08:51PM

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/15/2011 08:53PM by WiserWomanNow.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.