Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: December 16, 2011 11:50AM

Hard to tell. Among people who are already here, then the answer is probably yes, but the biggest area where we see population growth is among immigrants, most of whom bring strong religious traditions of their own from their home countries. What we probably need to do is translate Mr. Hitchen's book into Spanish and Arabic, if it hasn't already been done.

In fact, I see us translating his book into every language, and flooding the world with its message. We should start a charity that starts leaving copies in hotel rooms, and airport lobbies, all with handwritten heart warming messages about the happiness we have found within.

Or not, since so many people seem so willing to purchase the book on their own, and read it, all without an army of nineteen year old MORG clones to push it.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: December 16, 2011 12:00PM

...rather than raw numbers, so yes.

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: December 16, 2011 12:02PM

Hey, I learned in Sunday School that feelings were at least infinity times more real then any actual numbers or all your irrefutable data.

Posted by: ronas ( )
Date: December 16, 2011 12:16PM

Religion will morph to stay relevant. Atheism will probably grow somewhat, but I think over time religion will trend towards a more remote, less judgmental, more metaphorical god.

A couple of examples:

There was a time that believing the earth was not the center of the universe was a huge challenge to religion and believing otherwise was heretical. Religion eventually caught up.

30-40 years ago believing in evolution was heretical. Religion isn't quite there yet but is catching up quick.

I believe humans are pretty hard wired to believe in superstition and the supernatural. I kind of doubt that will ever change. The fad of how conceptualized will just change.

Posted by: sd ( )
Date: December 16, 2011 12:36PM

the vast pockets of stupidity that still exist in this country. Religion will safe here for a long time to come.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: December 16, 2011 02:27PM

They may talk a good game, but nothing in their behavior indicates to me that they actually believe in anything resembling the traditional Jehovah.

For most people, "yes" is the only socially acceptable answer to "do you believe in God?" Like saying "good morning", the statement doesn't have to have anything at all to do with reality.

Posted by: top ( )
Date: December 16, 2011 08:03PM

Posted by: archytas ( )
Date: December 16, 2011 10:34PM

If you combine atheists, agnostics, humanists, non-religious, etc, I would say yes. At least within the us pop.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.