Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Puli ( )
Date: December 16, 2011 02:44PM

I ran across this article on Yahoo this morning and wondered if anyone has information not reported here.

http://news.yahoo.com/utah-family-supports-school-outed-gay-son-154123202.html

The article's title "Utah Family Supports School that Outed Gay Son" sounds terrible, but in reading the article, the situation sounds as if the boy was in the process of outing himself - at least at school.

"The situation began last week when the teenager used a class assignment to reveal his sexuality to his classmates. The teacher asked him if it was okay to post his project with the others, and he said yes."

According to the article, school officials thought the boy's parents should be informed because there was some negative reaction from a few other students (and an apparent overreaction from a faculty member).

""[The assistant principal] expressed she felt it was important to include the parents because it was a safety issue and the parents needed to be aware so they can stay on top of things," Bromley {an administrator at the Alpine School District} said. "He was very reluctant, but he did agree that it was okay. He was scared. He was afraid his parents were going to be angry. He didn't want to be in the room.""

The situation appears to have escalated when Gay activists heard about the incident.

"The father said the situation did not become a problem until a Facebook page was created calling for support of the boy to "end homophobic discrimination in schools" and containing "misinformation" about what had happened.

"The page said the boy was in trouble with the school for being gay and had been suspended for his sexuality."

"The boy's story became an issue when gay activist organizations made public statements condemning the school's actions, claiming school officials violated the boy's rights and put him in danger.

"The group's statements turned the story into news items on Salt Lake City television stations and newspapers.

"A spokeswoman for the Utah Pride Center in Salt Lake City called the situation "disturbing" and Eliza Byard, the executive director of the Gay, Lesbian & Straight Education Network, said that outing a student "violates their right to privacy" and could "compromise their safety.""

That's the bare bones of the story I get from the article. It sounds like their may have been a misunderstanding or something, but the gay advocacy groups appear to have reacted with the best interest of the kid in mind. It also sounds as if the kid's parents are also supportive, although being supportive could mean enrollment with Evergreen or something similar if they are Mormons.

Is there more to the story that anyone is aware of? I thought Lehi and the areas around Provo had a higher concentration of Mormons.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: bignevermo ( )
Date: December 16, 2011 02:59PM

i would like to hear an update if anyone has one! :)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/16/2011 03:00PM by bignevermo.

Posted by: Puli ( )
Date: December 16, 2011 03:13PM

I did a search on the school's name since it was mentioned in the article. I didn't get any hits. I guess I should have searched on something else.

Date: December 16, 2011 03:18PM

let me see if i can help... the search engine doesnt always work for me either... it works for authors...but nuttin else...for me anyway!

Date: December 16, 2011 03:22PM

mark24...i typed in "gay" in subject matter and found it... :)

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.