Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: BYU_grad ( )
Date: December 22, 2011 06:18PM

Finally some good laugh? Maybe?? :) Returning to the topic of passive aggression... I have a story to share.

It happened on one of those Sundays around 2007. The bishop of our BYU ward (I wouldn't mention names) stood up during the elder's quorum meeting and addressed the audience: - Brethren, it is time we do it again! Let's have some fun! Then he turned to the quorum leader asking him to make the necessary arrangements. I could not believe what I heard: the elders were discussing an organized, bishop-sponsored trip to some desolate location where they planned to smash a microwave oven with sledgehammers. Apparently, the local leadership decided it was time to let out the boys' passive aggression before it blew their heads clean off. What shocked me was that even such a caveman's mischief needed an authorization and approval. The meeting was over, the quorum was buzzing in anticipation. I approached the quorum leader. Hey, I said, Why being neanderthals and use sledgehammers? I think it is plain boring. We are people of the civilized age, so let's use some engineering. I have a better idea. Lemme go home, and gimme just 20 minutes - I'll bring you something we gonna put inside of that oven. You'll see the oven's door taking off good 50 yards up into the skies and then coming down like a helluva Frisbee... It's gonna be FUN!!! He gave me a stern look and uttered in a threatening tone of voice: I WILL NOT ALLOW YOU TO DO ANYTHING ILLEGAL!!! BY MY AUTHORITY I PROHIBIT YOU TO COME WITH US!!! I looked at them and said - screw you, guys. And left. Nobody tried to follow me. Nobody tried to get into my face. They just remained there. Hope, they had a good trip.

Did anybody else experience this curious Church-sponsored stress relief program? :)))

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: voweaver ( )
Date: December 22, 2011 07:32PM

Well, before you smash it all to Heck and gone, my kids tell me that zapping CDs in a microwave is quite a light show!

~VOW

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: December 22, 2011 07:51PM

That can't possibly be fun unless alcohol is involved!

Posted by: dthenonreligious ( )
Date: December 22, 2011 07:55PM

As a guy smashing things and making them go boom are quite entertaining. Alcohol has its place, just not around explosives.

Posted by: orphan ( )
Date: December 24, 2011 12:14AM

Seems to me that this would be better for the women. They're the ones living with the most stress. JMO Jim

Posted by: bingoe4 ( )
Date: December 24, 2011 02:03AM

It's an "Office Space" homage.(Thats an R rated movie BTW)

This is pretty regular activity. Smash things for a buck. They smash a car up at my school as a fundraiser for some fraternity. It was very fun.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: December 24, 2011 08:42AM

But the car they got was from the early '50s, and the steel was so thick the sledge hammer just bounced off. Even the big strong guys could barely dent the car. So after the windows and lights were smashed, the fun was gone.

But I testify, BYU_grad, that physically pounding the crap out of something is much more cathartic than blowing stuff up. Blowing stuff up is cool, but it's not physically involving.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: December 24, 2011 10:25PM

I'm restoring a 34 Ford pickup right now. Ford made their own steel in those days and I always heard it was good. Put it this way, if you are going to drill holes in an old Ford buy the best drill bits. You will need them.

I was watching a program on Bonnie and Clyde and I guess Clyde liked to steal Fords. They were fast if they had the V8 flathead but the steel would tend to stop bullets. A .45 from a distance would just bounce off. It took a high powered rifle to penetrate from a distance.

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: December 25, 2011 02:32AM

Interesting thing about Bonnie and Clyde was that Bonnie was probably the girl friend of a different gang member then Clyde. Clyde instead was romantically involved with a guy named Will Jones. The papers changed the facts about the romantic involvements of the gang, because they did not think Americans would buy a homosexual man as a tough guy.

Just remember, when people try to portray gays as being stereotypically weak, it is because everyone who did not fit the mold was instead portrayed as being straight.

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: December 25, 2011 12:40AM

I just have a couple issues. Neanderthals did not have sledgehammers. Also, they were very sophisticated beings, who did not just mindlessly destroy things. In light of recent scientific studies which suggest that Neanderthals interbred with primitive men, I will ask you to not insult my ancestors by comparing them to a bunch of brainless Mormons.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/25/2011 12:41AM by forbiddencokedrinker.

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: December 25, 2011 06:11AM

Don't see it so much, these days.

Posted by: EssexExMo ( )
Date: December 25, 2011 07:20AM

It happened on one of those Sundays around 2007. The bishop of our BYU ward (I wouldn't mention names) stood up during the elder's quorum meeting and addressed the audience: - Brethren, it is time we do it again! Let's have some fun! Then he turned to the quorum leader asking him to make the necessary arrangements. I could not believe what I heard: the elders were discussing an organized, bishop-sponsored trip to a brothel deep in the heart of Nevada................

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.