Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: sam ( )
Date: December 22, 2011 09:04PM

Getting ready to go to a great party to drink and be merry. OMG, it is so wonderful to be able to just be myself--it feels so good.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: rodolfo ( )
Date: December 22, 2011 09:06PM

Posted by: forestpal ( )
Date: December 22, 2011 09:49PM

Yes, the (non-Mormon) parties have been fun this year. Non-Mormons hug each other, and I've never been hugged so much in my life!

I like the fact that I can wear whatever I want! Tomorrow's party is in Park City, in a hilly area, where the parking is not good. So--I can wear warm pants!! Warm boots!! I can even wear my Christmas sweater, without having anyone laugh at me or judge me. Yes, I wore the same sweater last year, but who cares. I used to hang out with a very snobby, superficial group of Mormons who would fly to San Francisco or New York to buy their clothes. These are wealthy women who live off their husbands. Their parties are very beautiful looking--professional decorating and catering--but the conversation is mostly just gossip about people I don't know anymore, or travelogs about places I haven't been in years, or comparing fancy restaurants and stores where I'll never go. They don't talk about their children...makes me wonder....

Maybe it's better not to talk. At a fun party last week, we started singing around the piano, and we got carried away, and sang probably every Christmas song ever written. The children and old folks joined in, too. At another party We danced. One party was a moonlight cross-country ski and a bonfire w/ smores and hotdogs. This is stuff that a Mormon Relief Society would never plan.

Instead of the cold,"cultural hall" with its harsh lights casting shadows, and the echo of metal chairs, normal parties take place in an actual home! Yes, someone actually invites you to their house! It is not a copied flyer or an announcement, but an invitation with your own name written on it, or a personal phone call just for YOU. Someone opens the front door for you, and walk in without taking off your shoes, and you are invited to sit down on a real living room couch--and no one is a HT or VT! The homes are warm, with soft lights, a Christmas tree, sometimes candlelight, and smells of cooking. People smile and laugh! That's the spirit of Christmas!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/22/2011 09:53PM by forestpal.

Posted by: AtheistMarine ( )
Date: December 22, 2011 09:52PM

+1 acceptance and hopsitality are so much better outside of the Morg

Posted by: honestone ( )
Date: December 23, 2011 12:01PM

Great to hear all the fun you are having and realizing how people live outside of the Morg. Can't imagine no loud laughter, no music blaring, or a bit of wine. Life can be very good if only the other Mormons knew!!!

Posted by: fizzledizz ( )
Date: December 23, 2011 12:09PM

I find that it must have been very depressing to be a mormon. I am only here because my son was dating a mormon for the past 3 months and wanted to find out more about it. I have found that by reading from ex-mormon blogs explains alot of things that were going on in their relationship.

Posted by: gregbrady ( )
Date: December 23, 2011 11:10PM

It's funny that you say that, I came here for the first time because I was dating a Mormon girl; she wasn't as TBM orthodox of many of the descriptions here but ultimately I think that is what led to us breaking up because it made me think that by presenting her with some of this information she might be completely done with it; I was wrong, we stopped dating shortly after the incident. It's too bad, she was and is a very nice girl.

On the plus side, I've found this site to be fascinating as a study of people and relationships in addition to a faith I knew very little about before.

Posted by: fizzledizz ( )
Date: December 27, 2011 01:58PM

gregbrady Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It's funny that you say that, I came here for the
> first time because I was dating a Mormon girl; she
> wasn't as TBM orthodox of many of the descriptions
> here but ultimately I think that is what led to us
> breaking up because it made me think that by
> presenting her with some of this information she
> might be completely done with it; I was wrong, we
> stopped dating shortly after the incident. It's
> too bad, she was and is a very nice girl.
>
> On the plus side, I've found this site to be
> fascinating as a study of people and relationships
> in addition to a faith I knew very little about
> before.

Yes Greg, and thank God you were not lued into the abyss what is the LDS Cult. The girl I was speaking of is moving to a mormon commune south of Mesa AZ (SLC South) because she was being manipulated and lured away from the compound.

Posted by: jon1 ( )
Date: December 23, 2011 12:05PM

forestpal Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
I can even wear my
> Christmas sweater, without having anyone laugh at
> me or judge me.

Sorry, but this is not a true statement. I'm laughing and judging, and I haven't even seen the sweater. lol

Posted by: wine country girl ( )
Date: December 22, 2011 09:54PM

Posted by: michael ( )
Date: December 22, 2011 09:57PM

For the first time in a LONG time, I was actually invited to a party and went to "the social event of the filk season" where we dined on turduken and a whole bunch of other stuff on the fine china with the fine silverware and a good night of music and talk.

Date: December 23, 2011 01:30AM

I just got back from the party. Too many glasses of wine, great food, great company, no cultists, great stories, many laughs, great fun. I am enjoying life so much--thank you God for freeing me.

Posted by: SerenitySeeker ( )
Date: December 23, 2011 01:33AM

Date: December 23, 2011 02:07AM

SerenitySeeker--I honestly never knew how good it could be. Life is so good outside of the Morg. I actually feel (for the first time) I am myself, not controlled by outside forces, and just enjoying life like a normal person. I could never say that before in recent times

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/23/2011 02:08AM by sam.

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: December 23, 2011 03:13AM

That's so true about life on the outside, as I've been to some excellent parties where there was lots of loud laughter as well as good food and wine.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.