Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: blackholesun ( )
Date: December 23, 2011 09:50AM

I attended my first non-LDS christmas eve service last year. I thought it was very nicely done with lots of singing etc. So last night my still tbm wife asked me if this year I could make sure I go after the kids are fast asleep. She is worried that they will think it is weird that I am going somewhere on christmas eve. Now if the LDS ward was having some sort of service that night you could bet that the whole family would be there and my wife would be telling me how Christ centered the Mormon church is, how other churches don't celebrate Christmas the right way like Mormons do etc. If the LDS church does it then its ok. If they don't then its strange and to be avoided.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: blackholesun ( )
Date: December 23, 2011 10:30AM

I think I'll do that. But I'm pretty sure what the response will be. Its a slippery slope from attending a nonlds church service to becoming a full blown apostate like her husband. You know how fragile Mormon testimonies are. They must be protected at all cost.

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: December 23, 2011 10:48AM

Posted by: honestone ( )
Date: December 23, 2011 11:55AM

Go to the Christmas Eve service of your choice. My church as 4 services- 5pm, 7, 9 and 11. I usually go to a later one, but this yr. the kids are putting on a play and since I am a Sun. School Teacher some Sundays I want to see them. All are candlelight services too. Anyhow, to please the wife go to a later service if you think it will keep the peace. Hope you come home feeling the real meaning of Christmas.

Posted by: sandie ( )
Date: December 23, 2011 01:14PM

If I can heal up from this dang cold, I will be attending a candle-light service at a church around the corner from here just for the delight of the Christmas season.

What you can do is either attend the latest service, or take the children with you to a very early service and serve ice cream afterward.

Posted by: Timothy ( )
Date: December 23, 2011 01:31PM

... that these types of problems wouldn't exist were it not for religion?

Just sayin'

Timothy

Posted by: blacholesun ( )
Date: December 24, 2011 10:30AM

If only religion would go away we would all be holding hands around the campfire in perfect harmony. We could finally become the loving compassionate creatures that the gentle mechanism of natural selection selected us to be.

Imagine there's no heaven. Its easy if you try.

Posted by: munchybotaz ( )
Date: December 24, 2011 11:47AM

That would be better, wouldn't it?

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: December 24, 2011 01:49PM

Sounds like she would find something else to dictate. Personalities don't change all that much when belief systems change.

Date: December 24, 2011 06:40PM

Bona dea writes:

"Personalities don't change all that much when belief systems change."

Actually, they do.

You have evidence to the contrary?

Timothy

Date: December 24, 2011 06:46PM

Once a black and white thinker, always a black and white thinker.Once a know it all, always a know it all. Once and ahole, always and ahole. May not be true in every case, but it is true in many.

Date: December 24, 2011 06:53PM

Isn't it wonderful?

Isn't it marvelous?

Still no evidence to the contrary?

Figured as much.

Timothy

Date: December 24, 2011 06:54PM

Who cares what you think?

Date: December 24, 2011 08:34PM

Eh?

Timothy

Posted by: thingsithink ( )
Date: December 25, 2011 04:07AM

You're funny. Really.

That's a real interesting comment - that personalities don't change when belief systems change. I've never thought about it. You went on to explain once an a-hole always an a-hole. (That's the funny part). But, seriously, do you think someone can change their personality and how? I think I always assumed my personality changed along with my belief system, but you've made me realize that although my beliefs have changed I'm still an . . . . My friends have been right about me all along.

Date: December 25, 2011 04:40AM

Some people do change, but I think more don't.I think we see a lot of people here with Mormon personalities. By that, I mean they think they have the truth and they have a need to convince the rest of us they are right.They may have given up Moromonism, but they still have the mindset.

Date: December 25, 2011 08:20AM

You're usually very quick to point out that certain personality traits are not indigenous to mormons, yet here you are pigeonholing most RFM participants with stereotypical "mormon personalities."

That's rich!

And aren’t you the one who continually argues the existence of hysterical JuHEEsus via a non-existent document (Q) and an imaginary survey (most reputable scholars and historians agree)?

If the shoe fits, I guess, but please don’t assume that because you haven’t changed no one else has.

Still waiting on that evidence.

Timothy

Date: December 25, 2011 02:28PM

Shut up, Timothy. Your attacks on me are getting really boring.

Posted by: lostinutah ( )
Date: December 25, 2011 02:31PM

HAHAHA Classic Bona. Shut the fuck up when she runs out of things to counter with. LOL Bona, you never change.

Date: December 25, 2011 02:34PM

You need to take my advice to shut up too.There is plenty I could say to Timothy(what he doesn't know about Q for instance) but he isn't worth the effort and neither are you. Have a Merry Christmas.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/25/2011 02:36PM by bona dea.

Date: December 25, 2011 02:38PM

Bona, the day I would take your advice on anything is the day they would commit me to an institution for losing my logical and rational mind.

Oh, and just who the fuck do you think you are to measure my worth or anyone else's?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/25/2011 02:49PM by lostinutah.

Date: December 25, 2011 03:28PM

I think she's on to something - mormon personalities. Just look at the response she's getting for making an observation about people's intolerance. I've noticed it too. And, yea, I can be intolerant as well, but I can admit it.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/25/2011 03:30PM by thingsithink.

Date: December 25, 2011 04:10PM

Yeah, except I'm not a Mo and have never been. Bona always acts like this, no matter what or who.

Date: December 25, 2011 05:52PM

Lost in utah, why don't you grow the hell up? I have never done anything to you and everytime you come on the board you start attacking everything I say. How about you ignore me if I bother you so much?I'm sorry you don 't like Christmas but it is hardly my fault and you don't need to come on this board and start with the personal attacks in order to ruin other people's holiday.

Date: December 25, 2011 06:18PM

Bona, you're the one who told me to shut up. You never change a bit, you're abrasive - it's not just me who finds you totally obnoxious. There are quite a few on this board who do. You like to think you think, but you're lost in your emotions. Go fuck yourself.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/25/2011 06:19PM by lostinutah.

Posted by: munchybotaz ( )
Date: December 25, 2011 04:33PM

but getting into personalities on the board is just grinding the same old axe that we should just about now be needing a nanoscope to see. And I think we need an expert in the development of personality to tell us whether and how much personalities change when belief systems change.

Date: December 25, 2011 06:08PM

+1. Looks like I may have hit a nerve.

Date: December 25, 2011 06:19PM

This is what I mean by abrasive, you love to hit nerves. Gloating isn't very becoming.

Date: December 25, 2011 06:23PM

Neither is telling people to fuck themselves. And you call me abrasive. That is rich. You could give lessons in abrasiveness. I'm done with you. It is Christmas and I am not going to spend it fighting with a person like you.

Date: December 25, 2011 07:30PM

Since Bona dea is calling it a day, I'm ready to call a winner. Bona dea takes this round. Munchybotaz, lostinutah and timothy - sharpen up your insults - 2012 is right around the corner.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: December 23, 2011 02:33PM

...is that bad things can be okay if the LDS church them.

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: December 25, 2011 04:57PM

Did you invite her to your Christmas Eve service?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.