Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Queen of Denial ( )
Date: November 18, 2010 01:31PM

This was posted by a Facebook friend and is hilarious. Maybe Prop 8 wasn't the "real" purpose of the Lord after all? Excuse me while I go retch...

The workings of the Lord... Rome, Italy
Many reasons why we follow a prophet....

Jane Parker, who is the late Elder Worthlin's daughter, told us the following story today in Relief Society. She went to a talk given by a lawyer for the European Area (each area of the Church has a legal department). The talk was about the ability to have a temple built in Rome, Italy which was announced as a done deal in conference recently. He stated that they knew they needed to have contact with the cardinals of the Catholic Church to see if they would approve or go along with our desire to have a temple built there. He heard of a reception at which the cardinals would be present, and the legal department for the church was also invited. He approached one cardinal and talked to him about the issue. The cardinal said, "We will support you in any effort you want because of your support of Proposition 8 in California."

Jane's comment was that she doesn't think the Church people in California, who worked so long and so hard on getting that proposition passed and many even suffered persecution, probably know that they were the instruments in getting a temple built in Rome, Italy.

Barton W. Marcois
President, Eagle Foundation

Barton -- Thanks for sharing this note. Please allow me to add a little more to this inspiring story.

The lawyer mentioned was John Zackrison -- a friend of mine who told LDS attorneys attending our Annual JRCLS Leadership Conf. about this last month. John told us that the Church has owned this temple site for several years. But it was close enough to the Vatican that in order to build a temple there, it required consents from both the Mayor of Rome and the Pope. At the reception , John met the one Cardinal who was charged with approving the temple on behalf of the Pope. The cardinal arranged a followup mtg. and John invited the European Area President to attend. He could not attend, but sent his counselor. At the mtg. the cardinal soon discovered that both he and the counselor spoke French. Then they discovered that both of them were from the same city (Bordeaux). And, then, they learned that both had gone to the same school! Who can deny the Lord's hand in all of this?

Joseph I. Bentley, Director
Orange County Public Affairs

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Duder ( )
Date: November 18, 2010 01:37PM

At the risk of bringing Hitler into a conversation, have you ever read all the amazing coincidences that occured to bring Hitler to power - and all the miraculous moments where young Hitler was saved from certain death?

Then, there's the Lord's hand in the case of Rasputin. And the Lord's hand that managed to bring about all that mayhem at Pearl Harbor. Don't forget the Lord's hand with respect to Hurricane Katrina.

Isn't it wonderful? Isn't it marvelous?

Posted by: Jon ( )
Date: November 18, 2010 01:40PM

And where, exactly, was the Lords hand in Haiti...

Posted by: Jon ( )
Date: November 18, 2010 02:01PM

What a complete fuck wit tosser of a lawyer.

So it's okay for the Mormon Church to support discrimination against people who aren't members of their organisation because doing so gets them approval for a Temple in Rome.

Who will they victimise on when they need a Temple in Iran?

This Zackrison guy is a jumped up, self-important, arrogant little turd. He should go far...

Posted by: sisterexmo ( )
Date: November 18, 2010 06:46PM

Posted by: Queen of Denial ( )
Date: November 18, 2010 06:03PM

I'm sure it is just made up, it's just that so many people believe it. That's what's disturbing.

Posted by: nwmcare ( )
Date: November 18, 2010 02:20PM

The Morg can speak of 'miracles' all they want . . . and lie as they always have . . . the upshot is that the Cardinals of the Roman Catholic Church speak to each other in Latin--always have--and are probably laughing their asses off at the LDS simpletons, even as we type . . .

Posted by: anon ( )
Date: November 18, 2010 02:33PM

Ahem, what precisely is the miracle in getting a building licence? So, the RCC used the opportunity to get a bit of their own policies affirmed, but (gasp) there's a Lutheran church in Rome, too. And Martin Luther was sort of a big deal for them. If the RCC isn't bothered about that, what are the chances they'd get up in arms over what the LDS want to build?

Posted by: nate ( )
Date: November 18, 2010 03:14PM

This is a huge load of crap, and has been on the site before, the Rome temple site is a half hour away from the Vatican. In addition the Italian Government and the Commune of Rome are 100% secular and would resent the implication that they need approval from the Vatican to do anything, even if the approval is just implied.

Posted by: martinf ( )
Date: November 18, 2010 03:17PM

Rome temple LMAO. Is that in Rome the same way the London temple is nowhere near London but in a field near Feldbridge?

Posted by: Roma ( )
Date: November 18, 2010 06:32PM

IN Rome (which is huge anyway), just outside the Grande Raccordo Anulare (the ring road surrounding the city), and near IKEA.

Posted by: Heidi GWOTR ( )
Date: November 18, 2010 03:43PM

Posted by: ExMormonRon ( )
Date: November 18, 2010 03:51PM

I once lost my car keys before church, stopped, prayed and then found them in my other pants!

It's a miracle!!!

Ron

Posted by: seymour ( )
Date: November 19, 2010 03:49AM

A true story!

A sister in the ward had loaded us up for some youth activity. The van would not start. She called her husband to come get us.

He said over the phone, "Go try again."

She tried again. It started.

(As I am typing this, heavenly light is shining all around me. I think an angelic chorus is beginning to hum in my spiritual ears.)

As we pulled out of the parking lot, she said, "I'm so glad my husband is a worthy priesthood holder."

That shook me more than the crazy McKay-in-the-volcano story that's been going around.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/19/2010 03:50AM by seymour.

Posted by: Merovea ( )
Date: November 18, 2010 06:52PM

Pas si vite mes freres!

If, and I still say "if", that temple is ever built it will be through the miracles of the conversion of $$$$$$ into Euros!

The Vatican is a HUGE banking system...so is the COJCOLDS! What do you think bankers talk about between each other?

About those miraculous coincidences...meant to go down church folklore! It's not the first time they have lied about the facts!

Posted by: Primus ( )
Date: November 18, 2010 08:50PM

With gambling winnings.

It's for a good cause.

Posted by: Lucky ( )
Date: November 18, 2010 08:50PM

well the LDS kids who had their college funds cleaned out for LDS Inc support of prop 8 can take great comfort in that *fact*
..... & in knowing that LDS meddling in this issue has advanced the normal time for courts dealing with & confirming gay rights by about 25 years! Way to go MORmONS!

Posted by: D. Lamb ( )
Date: November 18, 2010 09:07PM

Who cares if there is a temple there. Who's going to go to it?
Members in Italy are virtually non-existent!

The mormon church is so much show and no substance.

Posted by: piloti ( )
Date: November 19, 2010 08:11AM

Not mentioned is the near-completion of the largest mosque in Europe...not too far from the Vatican. The lord's hand, indeed.

I've lived in Europe for many years, and can assure everyone that the LDS church's stature here has not improved by knowledge of its backing of Prop 8.

Posted by: voltaire ( )
Date: November 19, 2010 09:21AM

finds its way into many mens' pants, jerking them off and making them feel all important and influential and stuff.

And when The Lord's Hand has satisfied and sated them, it leaves them. But not before picking their pockets.

Religion: it's all about how sexy power and money are.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.