Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: puck ( )
Date: December 25, 2011 08:11AM

Since Beth made me aware of people asking after me, I figured I'd stop in and say hi.

It is true that I left the USA and moved to England. Love it there. don't want to go back. we'll see if david cameron stops being ridiculous and loosens up immigration in a smart way and lets me stay, but that seems like not the most likely thing in the world.

law school is going well, as anybody knows me knows, I was pretty excited to get there, finally.

currently I am in Seoul (yes, south korea) teaching at an english debate camp. it's been a white christmas in seoul! and south korea doesn't look much like it did in MASH. I was disappointed. also annoyed at myself for never picking up any korean from the show. I've been here 6 days and still all I can say is "Hello. My name is..."
Oh, and several swear words.

Anyway, I miss Boston sometimes, but since I haven't been close to my family for ages, it hasn't been that hard to be away. it's been harder to not be close to what seems to be my real family -- the close friends I had. thank goodness for the internet. it must have been really hard before computers were around to move far away.

it's also been very easy to just leave mormonism behind. I haven't been to church since I was 16. this may, it will be 8 years. the freedom of starting over completely was sort of nice -- as far as anyone knows, I grew up catholic because I talk about catholic school, and growing up in an irish neighbourhood. they don't have to know my parents were dumb enough to convert.

at the same time though, it can be a little lonely. I do think I've put up significant barriers because there's just too much to deal with, too much baggage really, that comes with a strict religious background. I do think it keeps me from being very close to anyone, but I've always been a loner so it's alright. mostly I think I should be more lonely than I actually am. the most comforting thing to happen to me all semester was when my sister sent me a link to an online myers-briggs test (I know, it's only online, but bear with me) and it told me I was an INTJ type, which is pretty rare. I made my sister read the wikipedia page on it, and she found it quite funny how the writing about INTJs describes me, to a fault, really. But it's better that way, for now I think it's more okay to not feel lonely, that it's okay for me to spend as much time in the library as I do, etc, etc.

with the time difference between seoul and colorado, it looks like I won't get to talk to my missionary brother at all for christmas. but after the horrific conversation we had last time we talked -- which was august, when his mission president let him call because I was leaving the country -- I'm not sure I want to talk to him. it left me really depressed in august, like there's no hope of him ever being HIM again. I know people on the board say missionaries get better when they come home, but I think he's too far gone. he's written to my sister that he's not very popular with the other missionaries because he enforces all the rules. he's in charge of a bunch of people. I don't know what that's called, but I assume others will know what I'm talking about.

anyways, I hope everyone is having a fine christmas, preferably involving cheery movies and chinese food, and a TON of booze.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: knotheadusc ( )
Date: December 25, 2011 08:16AM

Hi Puck!

Merry Christmas. I enjoyed your post and hope you're having fun in Seoul and England. I'm jealous that you get to live outside of the United States. Glad things are going well.

Posted by: Suckafoo ( )
Date: December 25, 2011 08:35AM

I don't know you but love the adventure your on. Take some risks and open your heart to those around you if you can. I'm the same way. Takes me awhile to let anyone in, if ever. Keep enjoying these experiences!

Posted by: michael ( )
Date: December 25, 2011 08:43AM

Glad to hear things are going a whole lot better for you. Please make sure you keep us up to date with your travels and adventures. And, of course, best of luck with your studies.

Posted by: Timothy ( )
Date: December 25, 2011 09:31AM

Glad to hear you bring glad tidings of great joy!

Party on, Mate!

Timothy

Posted by: scooter ( )
Date: December 25, 2011 09:36AM

but your parents must be proud.

btw, I think your life story about misplaced values of marment parents is something every nevermo should know.

You deserve so much better, and it sounds like you're finally living it. Congrats.

Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: December 25, 2011 11:09AM

Posted by: bignevermo ( )
Date: December 25, 2011 02:46PM

:) hey my Panthers actually be looking good this year...I prolly will see flattopSF in March...we will raise a toast to you! ya come a long way baby...i remember one year when ya didnt want to even go back to your Texas"home"... anwyay..stay awesome! :)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/25/2011 02:46PM by bignevermo.

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: December 25, 2011 02:53PM

What a nice Christmas gift to hear from you! It is like Santa made a special stop :). When you can fill us in more. It will be very interesting living in Korea and I just think you need to tell us all about it.

You take good care of you for us!

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: December 25, 2011 04:11PM

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: December 25, 2011 04:39PM

Don't give up on your brother. Sometimes the most driven Mormons are driven right to the truth, they just want more meat.

Best of luck

Anagrammy

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: December 25, 2011 07:47PM

Hi, Puck!

When you are next in England, we will have to meet up. matt_exmo@yahoo.co.uk will find me.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: December 25, 2011 10:29PM

I'm not sure anymore what it means, but it was a handy phrase when I lived in Korea. It did look something like MASH when I was there. I think the phrase is a formal "pleased to meet you." If not, I am at least sure it is not obscene.

Good to see your smiling electrons on our screens again. The internet is amazingly good at keeping relationships going in spite of distance.

Don't give up on brother. I was a stickler for the rules on my miss, and within 4 years I was out. Thank you, Hugh Nibley.

Posted by: honestone ( )
Date: December 25, 2011 11:06PM

Merry Christmas and hope your time in Seoul is very enjoyable. I was there yrs. ago and loved it....only for a vacation tho. When I went to London once it actually was sunny the whole time and in Germany it rained. Go figure. Anyhow, enjoy your studies and in time you will know where you want to be permanently. Sorry about your brother.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: December 26, 2011 12:08PM

Great to hear from you! Its sounds like you're having some wonderful adventures. Sorry about your difficulties with your brother. Hopefully they will iron out in time.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.