Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: December 25, 2011 10:06AM

TBM parents sent a present for my son that arrived day before yesterday. He opened it this morning, and it's a "Mathematical Instrument Set" in a metal box containing a compass and a square.

Nice taunt, parents. Bravo.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/25/2011 10:07AM by Makurosu.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: December 25, 2011 10:08AM

They didn't send him something he would like? Instead they sent him school supplies in order to mock you? What love!

Posted by: Thread Killer ( )
Date: December 25, 2011 10:13AM

Maybe he'll use them to build a catholic cathedral--that oughta do it...

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: December 25, 2011 03:06PM

I thought that was a rather odd gift. Do they want him to go in to Engineering? Don't they know I have already decided he is going in to Medicine? :P

Oh, and PS - I think your son should make them a Christmas card. Just like the one he made YOU!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/25/2011 03:10PM by Susan I/S.

Posted by: munchybotaz ( )
Date: December 25, 2011 03:10PM

Date: December 25, 2011 03:20PM

And yeah, it's pretty obviously a taunt. Just confirms I made the right decision to exclude their toxic negativity from my life.

Date: December 25, 2011 03:24PM

Or, ya don't gotta. Weird that it has two of each.

Posted by: sonoma ( )
Date: December 25, 2011 03:12PM

I'd write a letter to you parents that the gift of a compass and square got your family really thinking; and it has inspired your whole family to join the local Masonic Lodge.

Date: December 25, 2011 03:28PM

Posted by: hello ( )
Date: December 25, 2011 10:06PM

good one, sonoma!

Posted by: WiserWomanNow ( )
Date: December 25, 2011 03:25PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/25/2011 03:25PM by WiserWomanNow.

Posted by: dthenonreligious ( )
Date: December 25, 2011 03:28PM

You should remind them that revealing the covenants of the Lord will result in damnation and torment.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: December 25, 2011 03:32PM

How about this idea.

Get a T-shirt and iron on (or draw) a picture of a compas over one breast and a square over another. Take a picture of your kid wearing this mock garment shirt. Two can play that game.

Man, and I thought my mom was bad! Sheesh.

Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: December 25, 2011 10:11PM

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lhb7p6foxa1qe3nnq.jpg

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/25/2011 10:13PM by steve benson.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: December 25, 2011 10:14PM

Even I could draw that on a kid's t-shirt and make grandma proud!

Snort!

Posted by: helemon ( )
Date: December 25, 2011 03:54PM

Here is a gift you can send them:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-LG-NATURAL-BRAZILIAN-SMOKEY-QUARTZ-CRYSTAL-SEER-STONE-W-GAZING-WINDOW-/110767242955?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19ca3dfecb

"NEW LG NATURAL BRAZILIAN SMOKEY QUARTZ CRYSTAL SEER STONE W/GAZING WINDOW"

Date: December 25, 2011 03:59PM

Posted by: lostinutah ( )
Date: December 25, 2011 04:03PM

ok, for us nevermos, please explain...

Date: December 25, 2011 04:48PM

The square and the compass are masonic symbols lifted by the Mormon church and placed in their temple ceremony and on their undergarments. Basically, my parents are gaslighting me by sending my nevermo son a gift with a hidden message. Then if I say anything about it, they'll deny it and act like I'm making ridiculous claims. This is not the first time.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/25/2011 04:52PM by Makurosu.

Date: December 25, 2011 04:51PM

Well, if they're gaslighting you, just light a match...

Seriously, who needs that shit? Just because someone is genetically related does't mean you have to ever see them or have anything to do with them. Total BS, Mak, send them on their way until they learn to behave, if ever. No more gifts for the kids.

Date: December 25, 2011 04:53PM

I have another thread where I discussed how I wrote them off a few months ago after mom blamed my divorce on my leaving the Church and then she gloated about her 50 year marriage to my father. I haven't spoken to her since.

Date: December 25, 2011 04:59PM

Most excellent. Now it's time to send the gift back.

Date: December 25, 2011 05:47PM

They'd be on the persecution gravy train for years.

Date: December 25, 2011 05:08PM

It doesn't sound like your mom is that subtle. Anyway, it's not a some totally useless piece of Mormon crap. I think you should take sonoma's suggestion.

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: December 25, 2011 05:10PM

I got that every year and hated it. I kept asking for a sub to the Readers Digest.

Posted by: darth jesus ( )
Date: December 25, 2011 10:18PM

you should send them back a blue ring with a big "G" inside a compass and a square.

with a nice note that says "accept no imitations. this is the real deal"

Posted by: sonoma ( )
Date: December 25, 2011 10:33PM

and you pick up a set of quality photocopies of the Joseph Smith Papyri. Wrap them together in a gift box, send it to Mom and Dad, and see what they come up with!!

Date: December 25, 2011 10:47PM

Posted by: ipo ( )
Date: December 26, 2011 06:41AM

It would be worth it to byu the book "... By his own hand upon papyrus"
http://www.amazon.com/His-Own-Hand-Upon-Papyrus/dp/0962096326/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1324899658&sr=8-1

Posted by: forestpal ( )
Date: December 25, 2011 10:57PM

How old is your son? What did you tell your son? He isn't old enough to go to the temple, is he? Like dtthenonreilgious said, it is a sin to reveal the secrets of the temple. Write to your parents that their gift made your son ask you all kinds of questions, and that you answered honestly, you and showed him the signs on the garments--the whole spiel!

The Masonic temple and the tee shirt are great come-backs, too.

Actually, understanding what it is like to have fanatics for parents, I think you should let them "stew in their own juice," as my grandma used to say.

Posted by: wittyname ( )
Date: December 26, 2011 12:51AM

How... subtly blatant. What a weird gift of oxymoronic passive aggressiveness.

Maybe he should write them a thank you note, thanking them for the school supplies and/or craft supplies. For added fun: "I don't need these for my classes, but it was a special opportunity to be able to donate them to a school with budget and resource shortages"

Alternatively, he could write them a note thanking them for the masonic keepsake, that it's found a home next to the square and compass he got as a souvenir when he/when a friend visited a masonic gift shop.

Or there's always "Thank you for the symbols that match your church underwear"

I wouldn't let on to your parents that it bugged you. Let them think their ridiculous "gift" went straight over your head and your son's head.

Posted by: Tyson Dunn ( )
Date: December 26, 2011 02:43AM

It sounds to me like a compass and a divider, which aren't the same but are similar.

Similarly, if the squares are 45 and 60 set squares, that's pretty standard for math sets too; whereas, masonic squares are l-squares.

I mean, sure, it's quite possible that they made the association, but frankly, it sounds like a run-of-the-mill mathematical instrument set to me, especially if it came with a ruler, protractor, pencil(s), eraser, and sharpener.

Tyson

Posted by: sandie ( )
Date: December 26, 2011 06:00AM

http://www.tigersupplies.com/Products/ALVIN-10-Piece-Mathematical-Instrument-Set__ALVMS10.aspx?gclid=CIGa9t7Jn60CFcZM4AodzB1iQA

One is a compass. The other looks like a compass, but actually it has two sharp points for measuring distances, for example, on a map. I have an antique brass one of these.

It looks like a really cool set for a kid.

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: December 26, 2011 07:39AM

So this might just be a pointless present rather than a dig.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.