Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Thread Killer ( )
Date: December 25, 2011 05:36PM

Since the "non-LDS Christmas Eve" thread seemed to fall apart, I want to know if anyone else digs Midnight Mass, the kind where cool things happen like singing 'Silent Night' as everyone is given a candle, then the priest lights the first one and uses that tiny flame to pass the flame through the congregation as the church lights go off one by one; even if you're not religious, that kind of stuff makes walking out into the clear, cold, night air something special....

I don't think LDS do that.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: lily ( )
Date: December 25, 2011 05:40PM

I do. I almost went and found one this year, but wasn't feeling well enough.

I "lost" my faith a few years ago and no longer believe, but I still find some of the older churches beautiful, and I can appreciate the songs and candles and such.

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: December 25, 2011 05:43PM

We went to early mass and it was standing room only. There were folding chairs everywhere, as well as pews, and the church was at least 3 times the size of a Mormon one. And people were still standing. LDS don't do that at Christmas either.

I'd love to go to a candlelight service some time. I think it's all about getting in touch with your inner spirituality and what real reverence (not Mormon reverence) means. Glad you had that moment to make your Christmas even better.

Posted by: blindmag ( )
Date: December 25, 2011 07:20PM

I always loved the look of older churches and the feel of them the spiritualaty the fact I know so many people had hopes and dreams and felt something special there. Mormon chapels feel cold compared to that like they are sterile and unused.

Posted by: presbyterian ( )
Date: December 25, 2011 08:06PM

If you have an emotional reaction to music and art, I think you would appreciate a candle light Christmas Eve service. If hearing people read from the Bible bothers you, distract yourself by observing the ugly Christmas sweaters around you.

Start planning for next year! Every church has a website these days.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: December 25, 2011 10:09PM

The Westminster Presbyterian church here had a Celtic Christmas service starting at 11pm. It was beautiful and the music upbeat and fantastic. It began with music guy Rob marching in playing the pipes and wearing a kilt. The pastor, a young good-looking Scotsman himself, also preached in a kilt. Fantastic. Then we finished by sharing candle light. I paid them 20 bucks for the time that was well worth it.

Posted by: Julie1 ( )
Date: December 25, 2011 10:17PM

And I can tell you that I most certainly did not "dig" it.

I hated every minute of church every week, regardless of what time of day it took place.

Two good things about MM. Getting to open 1 present when we got home and knowing I didn't have to go the next day.

Posted by: BadGirl ( )
Date: December 25, 2011 10:26PM

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: December 25, 2011 11:08PM

One of my favorite Christmas Eve services I went to was at one of the oldest churches in the downtown area, which was a UCC church. The best thing about other churches is that they have Christmas Eve services regardless of what day of the week it's on, and if you go on Christmas Eve, you've met your quota for the holiday. Even if you decide not to go to church on either day, nobody is going to knock on your door to find out why you weren't at church.

Posted by: Drew90 ( )
Date: December 26, 2011 02:14AM

I went to the Presbyterian Church last night. I always love it when the lights go out and everybody gets their candles lit while singing Silent Night. It's always felt more spiritual than and mormon church. And my tbm sister loved it. I'm glad she never even said it's still not the true church.

Posted by: utahmonomore ( )
Date: December 26, 2011 09:18AM

I always found that Mormon stuff was SOOOOO boring and phoney. They have never had anything special for x mas, and when I asked my ex why dont they go to church when xmas fell on the same day, I was shocked at the answer. I should have seen it then...Mormon sermons/culthouses are as plain and bland as their churches!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.