Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: CanuckExmo ( )
Date: December 27, 2011 12:40PM

I don't know how to say this kindly, but Americans are so-damn-gullible. Only in America would a "pseudo-religion" like Mormonism take wings and fly.

It's a bit sad, really. What's sadder still is that Mormons with money and influence will use their means to supply PR and advertising to get a Morgbot President, and the general populace will only get that "Mormons seem nice enough" "Harmless, Christians" - no big deal. Without realizing the way this business, masquerading as a religion, has extorted millions from families around the country, to prop itself up and give the "leaders" free rent, 2nd homes, cars, education, bodyguards, insurance, vacations, etc. And that's all we know about... Thre is probably a lot more.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: December 27, 2011 12:44PM

You mean kind of like how the death cult of suicide bombers known as Islam kind of took over all the middle east, and large parts of Asia, or how large swaths of South America and Europe listen to a guy who looks like the Emperor from Star Wars tell them not to use birth control? Or could it be like the Indians who have food shortages, and a religion that won't let them harm or eat all the cows that feed off of their crops? Yeah, those Americans are so gullible.

Posted by: CanuckExmo ( )
Date: December 27, 2011 12:46PM

I always hoped "the West" aka America, Canada, Western Europe, would be above this kind of magical and mystical thinking.

InI guess it's all about making a buck $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: December 27, 2011 12:54PM

I was going to say that but you beat me to it. *L*

Posted by: dthenonreligious ( )
Date: December 27, 2011 12:45PM

Your handle say CanuckExmo. I guess our neighbors to the north are gullible too:)

Posted by: Canuck Exmo ( )
Date: December 27, 2011 12:51PM

Yeah, there are pockets of gullible Morgbots here, and everywhere. That sucks.

But here in the north, we are not electing Mormons to lead the nation. The "church" is not headquartered here, and doesn't run a theocracy in one of its provinces/states.

Despite what us agnostics and atheists prefer, the USA still has a very large religious base. We have Christians up here, but there is no "evangelical voter base" anything like what is down south.

Doesn't necessarily lead to better leadership up here, though.. but there seems to be more of a focus on issues economical and environment.

Posted by: helamonster ( )
Date: December 27, 2011 12:53PM

Whatever the press might be saying there in Canada, the chance is exactly that of a snowball in Hell that Mittens will be our next President.

NOT GOING TO HAPPEN.

Mark my words and take them to the bank.

Posted by: rodolfo ( )
Date: December 27, 2011 01:09PM

Posted by: nonmoparents ( )
Date: December 27, 2011 02:14PM

Date: December 27, 2011 12:57PM

I am always baffaled at my country's predispostion towards the religious views of candidates. It makes ass all sense to me and most of the people I know.

It does suck that the secular movement in America has taken this long to gain momentum. This last decade has seen positive increase in people thinking for themselves. Maybe there is hope for my nation.

Now, what to do about the Utah, Idaho and Arizona? Along with most of the southern state.

Posted by: spaghetti oh ( )
Date: December 27, 2011 01:59PM

"But here in the north, we are not electing Mormons to lead the nation."

True but a huge swath of the Canadian voting public was stupid enough to elect the SPAWN of SATAN as our Prime Minister.

Posted by: elcid ( )
Date: December 27, 2011 12:49PM

There were pretty kooky religions started everywhere...

Islaam...Saudia Arabia
Catholicism...Italy
Protestant Religions...Germany, England, etc.

America does not have a corner on kooky religions...

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: December 27, 2011 12:50PM

Posted by: rodolfo ( )
Date: December 27, 2011 12:50PM

Most people are victims. I refer you to this famous experiment:

The Monkey Banana and Water Spray Experiment

5 monkeys are locked in a cage, a banana was hung from the ceiling and a ladder was placed right underneath it.
As predicted, immediately, one of the monkeys would race towards the ladder, to grab the banana. However, as soon as he would start to climb, the researcher would spray the monkey with ice-cold water, but he would also spray the other four monkeys.

When a second monkey tried to climb the ladder, the researcher would, again, spray the monkey with ice-cold water, As well as the other four watching monkeys;

This was repeated again and again until they learned their lesson

Climbing equals scary cold water for EVERYONE so No One Climbs the ladder.

Once the 5 monkeys knew the drill, the researcher replaced one of the monkeys with a new inexperienced one. As predicted, the new monkey spots the banana, and goes for the ladder. BUT, the other four monkeys, knowing the drill, jumped on the new monkey and beat him up. The beat up new guy thus Learns- NO going for the ladder and No Banana Period- without even knowing why! and also without ever being sprayed with water!

These actions get repeated with 3 more times, with a new monkey each time and ASTONISHINGLY each new monkey- who had never received the cold-water Spray himself (and didn't even know anything about it), would Join the beating up of the New guy.

When the researcher replaced a third monkey, the same thing happened; likewise for the fourth until, eventually, all the monkeys had been replaced and none of the original ones are left in the cage (that had been sprayed by water).

By now, none of the monkeys had ever been sprayed and so they really had no clue why they shouldn't get the banana but it didn't matter, it's too late, the rules have been set. And so, although they didn't know WHY, they beat up the monkey just because " that's the way we do things around here"…

This says it all about religion in much of the world, and also explains many TBMs I would say.

Sources: Stephenson, G. R. (1967). Cultural acquisition of a specific learned response among rhesus monkeys. In: Starek, D., Schneider, R., and Kuhn, H. J. (eds.), Progress in Primatology, Stuttgart: Fischer, pp. 279-288.

Date: December 27, 2011 12:55PM

Posted by: Hermes ( )
Date: December 27, 2011 12:54PM

It isn't just America. People are dumb everywhere.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: December 27, 2011 12:56PM

Posted by: LongTimegone ( )
Date: December 27, 2011 02:48PM

Didn't you hear? Alberta (Canuckian-Mo's polygamy haven) seceded from Canada. All other Canuck-AMormonicans were sent to the gallows.

Date: December 27, 2011 12:57PM

Posted by: ExmoCanuck ( )
Date: December 27, 2011 01:47PM

Yeah, SM, my parents were among the converted, sadly. if it weren't for this "made in America-religion," my own parents (who spoke no English at the time the missionaries approached them) would not have handed over all their hard earned cash to a group of con men posing as religious figures.

It must have had an air of legitimacy about it. Con artists are pretty good at this game.

I am sorry but just really feeling pissy that this"religion" made its way into my family at all. I believe this board is for venting, so I'm venting!

Posted by: kolobian ( )
Date: December 27, 2011 02:06PM

Are you absolutely sure they wouldn't have handed their hard-earned cash over to another group of con men?

Don't you think your parents should take at least *some* responsibility?

Just askin'

Posted by: ExmoCanuck ( )
Date: December 27, 2011 02:18PM

Yeah, there was some weird UFO cult in Quebec that made the headlines (too bizarro- to attract a large following!) But quebec doesn't count, at least a few of us would be happy if it seceded and took its entitlement views with it!

Name a Canadian-born cult that went south and converted tons of Americans? Just sayin'...

ps - Regardless, I still love 'mer-kans. Just frustrated in that Whatever takes off in the U.S. often gets a following here. Mo-ism is one thing I do not want imported any further. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr! Hope Helamonster's right.

Posted by: spaghetti oh ( )
Date: December 27, 2011 02:25PM

ExmoCanuck Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Name a Canadian-born cult that went south and
> converted tons of Americans? Just sayin'...

The NHL! ;-)

(please remind me to read the whole thread before posting, d'oh)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/27/2011 02:26PM by spaghetti oh.

Date: December 27, 2011 01:55PM

I can't think of their name, but I know for a fact that there was that one looney Canadian cult that had all those crazy beliefs and acted all weird. Actually, I might just be thinking of Canadians in general.

Date: December 27, 2011 02:02PM

That's what it was called. Yeah, the priest stands in front of a net, wearing a holy mask, while the holy men from a rival congregation try to hit him with a little round stone. Whichever priest gets struck the most is the most unworthy, and thus the other congregation wins the favors of their gods, who are represented by men in bright costumes dancing along the sidelines.

Posted by: helamonster ( )
Date: December 27, 2011 02:29PM

Posted by: notamomo ( )
Date: December 27, 2011 02:20PM

So why are you Canucks harboring polygamous Mormon fundamentalist communities?

Date: December 27, 2011 02:20PM

But I'll forgive you that....since you gave us the best rock band ever...RUSH!!!!!!!

Posted by: nonmoparents ( )

What's interesting to me is that when religion (the Catholic Church) ruled the Western world, it was called the Dark Ages. Are we really up for that again?

Date: December 27, 2011 02:31PM

"Now it's come to this
It's like we're back in the Dark Ages
From the Middle East to the Middle West
It's a world of superstition

Now it's come to this
Wide-eyed armies of the faithful
From the Middle East to the Middle West
Pray, and pass the ammunition."

- Neil Peart

Date: December 27, 2011 02:42PM

"I am tired of people comparing Neil Peart and God. I mean he is a cool guy and all, but he ain't Neil Peart".-I can't remember who said this.

Date: December 27, 2011 02:43PM

dthenonreligious Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> "I am tired of people comparing Neil Peart and
> God. I mean he is a cool guy and all, but he ain't
> Neil Peart".-I can't remember who said this.

ZOMG!!! I love this!! Stealing! :-)

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.