Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Anony ( )
Date: December 28, 2011 10:23AM

How many of you, after getting your endowments and realizing that life (according to Mormonism) is about spiritual preparation to become Gods... and/or after studying the Book of Abraham and learning that God has worlds w/o number,...

Couldn't figure out how Jesus was the savior for all these other planets?

I remember having some major confusion about this on my mission and being instructed that all other planets did not get any visitation of Jesus but would learn about Jesus from Prophets appointed there...but that we just HAPPENED to be on the ONE planet (out of a seemingly endless supply of planets) that actually served as Jesus' staging point for gaining a mortal body...

How did I not figure out then and there that Mormonism is just plain ol' stupid?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: kolobian ( )
Date: December 28, 2011 10:24AM

2 + 2 = yellow

Posted by: jessica ( )
Date: December 28, 2011 10:28AM

I heard two things, that every world had their own Jesus to crucify and that there was only one Jesus but our world was the only one that would kill him.

Posted by: dressclothes ( )
Date: December 28, 2011 04:30PM

I always heard the one about Earth being the only one wicked enough to crucify their God.

Posted by: nickerickson ( )
Date: December 28, 2011 11:00AM

Yes - I do remember being taught just that. Jesus / God / and all the temple prophets doing the return and report earth making thing and it just so happens that all other earths were much better off than us, and only our nasty, evil, degrading earth was wicked enough to kill Jesus, so that is why he came here. So we (collectively) could kill him to atone for the sins of us and all the other more awesome planets.

Posted by: elcid ( )
Date: December 28, 2011 11:27AM

I was taught the atonement was "infinite" and this meant for all the worlds created. So, yea, I often wondered how in the heck people on Alpha Centari would accept a story about a guy on Earth being crucified and dying for their sins. Talk about using ALOT of faith to believe in that!

Posted by: helemon ( )
Date: December 28, 2011 04:28PM

Think about what that information would mean to prehistoric man! They would never question whether there was intelligent life somewhere else in the universe. They would not go through a phase where they believed in a flat earth, or that the stars were gods or that they orbitted their planet. Think of the boost to human knowledge that one belief would have on how the cultures of these other planets evolved. There would likely be a powerful drive to explore the universe, and perhaps find the planet where their god was born and died. Rather than religion surpressing scienctific exploration it would be a mjor driving force.

Posted by: exedman ( )
Date: December 28, 2011 04:35PM

What they really mean is that the Jews of the time were the most wicked of anyone in the universe. Pretty awful stuff.

Posted by: Claire Ferguson ( )
Date: December 28, 2011 04:57PM

I'd forgotten that particular nugget. We were taught in seminary, in the late 70s, that the atonement covered all the worlds and the reason jesus came only to this earth was that the most wicked AND the most righteous spirits would be born here.

At the same time we were taught some mumbo jumbo about this planet being the furthest from kolob and the nearer the other planets were to kolob the less wicked/righteous were the spirits born there.

How did they think up this shite?

Date: December 28, 2011 05:06PM

And where is the personal responsibility and free agency if your worthiness and spiritual prowess are based on how many light years from kolob your solar system is located?

Date: December 28, 2011 05:06PM

Posted by: helemon ( )
Date: December 28, 2011 05:19PM

http://www.enchantedlearning.com/subjects/astronomy/solarsystem/where.shtml

While we are pretty far out there from the galactic center, we are not the furthest.

Also, does that mean god is only god of the Milky Way?

It is easy to make stuff up when you are not bound by facts and observations.

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: December 28, 2011 05:50PM

And the counties closest to the temple in Salt Lake must be the most righteous and the ones farther away...

It's a Winchester Mystery House of theology.

Anagrammy

Posted by: Levi ( )
Date: December 29, 2011 05:09AM

"It's a Winchester Mystery House of theology."

I LOVE IT!!!!

Posted by: amos2 ( )
Date: December 29, 2011 06:30AM

of being LDS

The Mormon moment, if it lasts 500 years, is still only 1/4,000th of human existence.

Mormons are about 1/20,000th of all humans estimated to have ever lived.

And that's just "this" earth.

Holy cow, what are the odds of being LDS on the ONE planet out of innumerable planets that Jesus lived on? Not credible odds at all. 1 in a trillion. You have far better odds of getting hit by a meteor.

Probability and statistics are, besides being "damn lies", sensitive BS detectors. Astronomical odds are a good sign of if-it-seems-to-good-to-be-true-it-probably-is.

Posted by: rowan ( )
Date: December 29, 2011 08:12AM

All these "truths" of the LDS Church are great fodder for fiction writers. They can author "worlds without end" and make a really good living at it!

Posted by: beeblequix ( )
Date: December 29, 2011 10:38AM

William Shunn wrote a fabulous piece illustrating just how special we all are and even includes this bit about our planet being the most wicked in all Creation. It's a MUST READ. Return & report (I report that I'M SPESHULL!).

http://www.shunn.net/korihor/1997/08/im_special.html

Posted by: Anony ( )
Date: December 29, 2011 11:14AM

Wow...haahhaah love it

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.