Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: kolobian ( )
Date: December 28, 2011 02:52PM

I'm interested in hearing stories about times you broke mission rules, if you got in trouble, what was your punishment, how you were perceived by the others, etc.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: dthenonreligious ( )
Date: December 28, 2011 03:02PM

I got to live in the mission mansion for the last couple months. I liked to smoke and drink, alot.

Most of the missionaries thought I was fun. There were a few that hated me and felt I was hindering the Lord's work. I was blame multiple times as the reason the mission did not meet it baptismal goals.

I was also known as the guy that knew too much about the church for his own good. Meh, it was a interesting time.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/28/2011 03:04PM by dthenonreligious.

Posted by: Ex-CultMember ( )
Date: December 28, 2011 08:51PM

Your mission story sounds like it would be quite an interesting read. You should post it sometime.

Posted by: kimball ( )
Date: December 29, 2011 02:45PM

There was one missionary in our mission who was known as the one most hated by the mission president. He once made a really snide remark from the audience in the middle of a talk by the mission president during zone conference. I heard that the president later said that he wanted nothing more in that moment than to jump over the pulpit and knock his lights out.

This missionary was known for frequently watching PG-13 movies in members' houses and going swimming in pools and lakes with LDS girls present in bathing suits. He never called anybody by anything but their first names, including missionaries. I presonally enjoyed him calling me by my first name - I thought it was quite the break, and it was my name after all. He was also somewhat free with his vocabulary, and supposedly travelled way outside of his area boundaries without permission. He also carried a constant swath of scruff.

While I never actually served with this missionary, I got to know and like him pretty well. I was a straight arrow, but I could see his sincerity. He replaced me after I left one area, and managed to baptize a convert I had been working on. At the baptism, which I was allowed to return to attend, this missionary pulled me aside and told me about another investigator who had fallen through. He explained everything about what happened, and said that some people had blamed him. He didn't want me to think he was responsible, because he knew I was close to this investigator. Of course I didn't blame him.

This missionary went on to lead the mission in baptisms, and not by a small margin. He baptized several entire families, which was remarkable for our European mission in which it was rare to baptize a single individual. The mission president hated him with a passion, and perhaps that was compounded by his immense success, despite his flagrant rebellion. Ironically, the least successful missionaries were always the zone leaders and assistants to the president.

This missionary was single-handedly responsible for me beginning to question the principle of obedience, and the validity of priesthood authority. I owe him a lot.

Posted by: jackol ( )
Date: December 29, 2011 03:04PM

My mission had the same thing. There were a couple missionaries that broke basically every rule, but the 3 of them together baptized more people then the rest of the mission combined so the President just let their indiscretions slide.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/29/2011 03:05PM by jackol.

Posted by: map ( )
Date: December 29, 2011 03:07PM

Posted by: kimball ( )
Date: December 29, 2011 03:08PM

Italy. Padova mission first half, Milan second half after Padova closed.

Posted by: brett ( )
Date: December 29, 2011 03:15PM

I was probably labeled apostate, although not to my face.

I went to the occasional movie. Got caught once and had to repent to the mission pres. who of course made me feel like I had done something close to murder by going to a movie.

I also had a girlfriend for about half my mission. She was one of the things that got me through. Fortunately I was able to keep her a secret or I would have definitely been labeled apostate.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.