Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: silhouette ( )
Date: November 18, 2010 07:56PM

Now that I am done with the church, I would like to continue food storage (since the wife stole it all!). Anyone know a good place to order canned goods for long term food storage?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: silhouette ( )
Date: November 18, 2010 08:20PM

Found this website...got any other recommendations?

http://www.beprepared.com/

Posted by: paintinginthewin ( )
Date: November 18, 2010 08:36PM

Nope. I just go to Winco or Smart n Final or R & N Market, and buy what me & Dan actually eat. I work & he works, and sometimes one of us coaches so won't be home to cook or shop much so I also like to have say a month of meals fast to cook ready on a shelf. But I use parts from a normal store.

Dan prefers Dinty Moore Stew- he loves it (& I hate it) so I buy him several cases this time of year so he can eat it at lunch.
He also loves corn Niblets, he'll eat them cold or hot. So I get a few flats for him to snack off.

This time of year Dan will start baking bread. He uses a BREADMAN machine. He keeps it in the middle of the kitchen. I put a 5 gallon food service canister from Smart and Finale of high gluten flour for him under his BREADMAN machine, next to olive oil, his yeast, my molasses & his sugar. His measuring cup is in the flour but the measuring spoons are in a drawer at the base of his BREADMAN machine. so its easy. I keep a coffee grinder for milling whole wheat, which I keep under the counter in a 2 quart holder for when I make bread instead. I keep 20 pounds of raisins & dates in the refrigerator for making great cinnamon buns when its late at night & the fog rolls in on us. You can store cubes of real butter in the bottom of your frig door, its right across from Dan's BREADMAN machine convenient for when he uses his bread knife from his knife block, which he keeps by the dish strainer now- right at his bread board. So he serves the bread when its done.
Thats how it is Dan does it you can serve yourself fresh bread too with your own BREADMAN machine & everything. I don't know what I'd do without him.

I love making tomatoe sauce from little tiny cans of tomatoe paste- adding seasoning, sautee onions, add crushed garlic or garlic powder- its so good. So I get a few boxes or a flat of these. I love ortega diced chilis, not hot, for casa dias so I love having a handful of half sized cans on my shelf.

For a while I like salmon lots so I got flats of that. You have to choose what you actually eat now.
I found these great beans from Pacific Food and Grain company up highway 99 from me. I got 61 2 cup packages of different types of beans, then I realized they had their employees climb 2 ton shipping containers on ladders making each bag for me. It took a year to taste them. Now I keep cannisters of my favorite beans & bean blends from them arrayed in a cupboard to choose from for fast beans, soups, chili and stuff. I love their giant Lima blend with Peruvian Limas, I love Ancestor Beans, I love the Yellow Eyed Steuben. The price drops when you buy lots, so I got lots & bagged them into parts for each of my daughters.

Can you find out what to eat, what meets your needs, what you want to eat, adn what you need? You're making your own life style everyone's comfort food tastes a different way, or may find comfort in foods in a different array.

Good luck finding what works for you. oh & Ghiradelli chocolate powder- their cocoa mix- is the best it fits in a 5 gallon food service container out of the bag & you can bake with it, drink it with hot water, or coffee, mix it with cream for chocolate mousse- almost anything. Dan loves his chocolate chips in cookies, as well as straight from a container while he's reading in the bath. So I wouldn't want less than say a 5 pound container of chocolate chips- unless it was the end of the world.

I don't want them for the end of the world I want them to feel good & enjoy my life right now. Eat chocolate & Dan's fresh made bread using his BREADMAN machine with butter. I feel so good when he pads across the kitchen, walks past the weight machine, and brings bread & butter to me even more than when he drives out running errands.

GET a BREADMAN bread maker of your own. You will love it! I know I do at least most of the time.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.