Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: helpmegetout ( )
Date: December 28, 2011 11:45PM

In one of my erlier threads i had talked about hating seminary and not wanting to go on a mission. I had latent TB a few years ago. Will that be enough to make me fail tye health test for a mission? Because of tue meds i will

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: December 28, 2011 11:49PM

Like i was saying,i will always test positive for tb. Will that make me fail?that would be a lot more convenient than telling my overprotective mormon fanatic parents that i wont go on a mission. Way better actually. They have prayed for me to serve an honorable full time mission as long as i can remember.

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: December 29, 2011 12:02AM

I don't know if it will. The only disease that keeps you off a mission for sure is AIDs. You only have to take the medication for TB for a year or two right? So how about this, tell your parents that you feel you should wait for a year or two before going on your mission because of the TB. (You know God might want you to go to Africa or something, something) Use it to buy time until you are comfortable talking to your parents about your true feelings.

Personally, you are going to eventually have to man up, and tell them the truth, but I understand that is really hard at your age. Especially since you are probably still living under their roof. A couple of years, especially if you away from home at college might do wonders to help you gain the independence you need to talk to them.

Date: December 29, 2011 12:07AM

The meds had some side affects. Mostly just shaky hands but i need to be kinda careful when i eat bannanas or sour cream. Supposedly it messes with my blood pressure.(which has been pretty wacky when i go for physicals.)

Posted by: lazarus ( )
Date: December 29, 2011 12:29AM

Nope, it will just keep you stateside. I have a family member with on a mission right now that tested positive for TB.

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: December 29, 2011 12:32AM

But again, you can always use the line that you feel God wants you to serve overseas, so you need to put off your mission for a few years until you get your health back.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: December 29, 2011 01:15AM

The eventual conversation might go something like this -- "Mom, Dad, I know that this will come as a great disappointment to you. I know that you have prayed for, and wanted me to go on a mission for a very long time. But I am not going to go on a mission. It is not how I want to spend the next two years of my life.

I love you with all my heart. You did a great job raising me. Yet I am an adult now, and it is time for me to decide the course of my life. You're not going to like or agree with every decision that I make. Few parents do. However when you look at the man that I am becoming and will become, I think that in time you will come to be very proud of me."

How do you picture yourself breaking the news to them? -- in person, by phone, or by email? How will they likely react? How will you deal with their reaction to your news?

Posted by: Inverso ( )
Date: December 29, 2011 07:01AM

I don't know what the morg policy is, but I can tell you that I test positive now for TB too BECAUSE of my mission. I had to get tests and x-rays and then take meds for a year after I returned from Mexico.

In my day, once you completed prophylaxis you got a card indicating that you were compliant, you're not infectious, and exempting you from future TB testing requirements. I've never had to use the card with any physician, employer, etc.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.