Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: SEcular Priest ( )
Date: December 29, 2011 11:52PM

I had a great walk around the Ogden Temple. Too bad the site was not open but it was interesteing to see what is happening.

They had to put new footings in for the new temple. The old temple was not earth quake proof. They are building a hugh underground parking garage. Moving the Museum too. All I could see was a pile of money being spent for this project.

The missionary couple at the Ogden Temple told me that people in Ogden had mixed feeling about their tabernacle and temple being torn apart and re-created. People from the area can not get into temple sessions in Logan or Bountiful due to this temple being closed.My step kids are pissed they can not get into a session.

I think they closed this temple to take the people's minds off the mall and members can see the Church spending money on temples.

What impressed me was how much land around the temple is now open fields. They have cleared the land in two directions for at least a block. North and east. Nothing is being built. Interesting that the lots vacant.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: xMo ( )
Date: December 30, 2011 12:59AM

They're calling it a renovation, but it looks to be a whole new temple for all intents and purposes. I wonder if they'll eventually do this to Provo too.

http://www.ldschurchtemples.com/ogden/

http://www.ldschurchtemples.com/ogden/construction/

Posted by: xMo ( )
Date: December 30, 2011 01:04AM

Click through the slideshow on the second link to photo #20 which is labeled to show the different jobs they are doing on site at this time. For instance they're moving the Daughters of Utah Pioneers museum.

Posted by: Vern ( )
Date: January 27, 2012 01:25PM

What a wonderful building this will be. The new exterior is
beautiful (from the Picture). and the interior from what was explained by the missionaries at the sight about the improvements on the inside it will better be able to the work that is performed
when it is completed in 2114. having been an officiator prior to
its closing I am looking forward to its opening. It will help make
its use more effective

Posted by: reinventinggrace ( )
Date: January 27, 2012 01:55PM

Vern -- in what ways was the original building "less effective". Layout? Mechanicals? Aesthetics? Just curious. RG

Posted by: Levi ( )
Date: January 29, 2012 11:38PM

Did the original building have a fubar foundation? (heh - irony)

Were the walls cracked? Was it unsafe? or did it not look as good as others?

There were 6 so-called "endowment" rooms, so it would seem it would be quite efficient.

I'll bet that after the new temple in Provo is completed, they do a monster build on the old provo building.

Extreme Makeover Jebus Edition.

Posted by: helemone ( )
Date: January 29, 2012 11:59PM

Seemed effective enough to me. Now all those Ogdenites are unable to attend the temple. Might as well stop paying tithing. If only there was a temple in Roy and Layton.

Posted by: Elohim ( )
Date: January 28, 2012 10:52AM

Completed in 2114? Wow, 102 years of construction!

Posted by: no-mo-mo ( )
Date: January 29, 2012 11:51PM

I think 2014 was meant.

Posted by: lulu ( )
Date: January 28, 2012 11:03AM

more non-existant dead people will exercise their dead free will to accept their temple ordinances.

Posted by: no-mo-mo ( )
Date: January 29, 2012 11:53PM

"Wonderful" is a bit much ... call it functional, it will be similar to many other recent cubical temples. And I wouldn't think of calling a spiritual edifice "more effective" -- makes it sound like a factory assembly line.

Posted by: a nonny mouse ( )
Date: December 30, 2011 12:21PM

Is this the original location? I grew up near there, but haven't been back in a long time. It was in a kind of run down part of town, near what used to be the Ogden City Mall. I don't recognize anything there.

Posted by: Sperco ( )
Date: January 27, 2012 01:34PM

Yes it is in the original location. That part of town is all cleaned up and is actually pretty decent. As an exmormon who is always quick to find fault with the church, I can't complain about the money they have poured into Ogden. It's slowing turning into a nice place. But I don't pay tithing, so why should I care how they use their money?

Posted by: rowan ( )
Date: December 30, 2011 05:30AM

Just who owns the construction company(s) and sub-contractors that are doing all this work?

Who is selling them the building supplies?

Who owned the vacant lots before the Church bought them?

It's about the money, boys and girls! Follow the money and you will find your answer!

Posted by: peregrine ( )
Date: December 30, 2011 07:24AM

So let me get this straight. The church can strip bare several acres of downtown property. Move entire buildings from one side of the property to the other, completely disassemble a temple and the foundation, rebuilding it looking nothing like the original and get away with calling it a renovation?
I guess when people ask me why I don’t come to church any more I can just tell them my testimony is under renovation.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/30/2011 07:24AM by peregrine.

Posted by: sd ( )
Date: December 30, 2011 12:30PM

is a couple of blocks away and the reconstruction is an enormous waste of money. But on the other hand, anything that helps revitalize downtown Ogden is a good thing. The River Walk development north of the temple site will be fabulous.

Posted by: imalive ( )
Date: December 30, 2011 12:33PM

More tithing money going down the drain. No wonder I barely tithe anymore. >:-(

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: January 28, 2012 01:21PM

would tithing barely be any better?

inquiring minds...Want to know.

Posted by: ozpoof ( )
Date: January 28, 2012 12:52PM

back to concrete blocks painted white like London and New Zealand temples.

Posted by: fetching49 ( )
Date: January 28, 2012 02:11PM

I heard that they kicked out many residents from the Ogden Lodge hotel on Christmas Eve because of "demolition" then let it sit for months on end until they got around to destroying it. This was heard second-hand so it very well could be a 3-Nephites story of anti-mo proportions.

Posted by: Sperco ( )
Date: January 30, 2012 11:54AM

They didn't kick them out on christmas eve. That was a crack hotel anyway and I was SO glad to see it demolished. When they did the news story about how sad it was that people were getting kicked out of their "home" the longest resident they could dig up to talk to had been there about 6 months.

Like I said in a previous post, I can't be mad at the mormon church for what they are doing to Ogden. It's a major improvement.

Posted by: deco ( )
Date: January 30, 2012 02:03AM

Is there a sign up sheet for second annointings???

Might be kind of fun to put up an Obama 2012 sign in front for a pic.......Better be fast I dont think it would stay up long.

Posted by: Outcast ( )
Date: January 30, 2012 12:13PM

Tools for the continued manipulation and extortion of the sheeple by the inner circle.

Consider that to obtain "Temple blessings", one must pay a full tithe.

How is this different from the Catholic church selling "indulgences" in the Middle Ages?

It's all about the money.

Posted by: paylayale ( )
Date: January 30, 2012 05:29PM

good point

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.