Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: exmollymo ( )
Date: December 31, 2011 09:13AM

As I was drinking my morning coffee out and about this morning a few things came to mind.

My disposable 7-11 cup is the same whether you get hot chocolate or a cappuccino. I of course was drinking the latter, but a TBM could get away with the former. That's where the "appearance of evil" comes in.

TBMs have a warped sense of "evil".

Evil is (just to name a few) - protecting child molesters, murder, cheating, stealing, lying, etc.

Evil is NOT a cup of coffee, bare shoulders, playing outside on a Sunday, hanging out with apostates, reading both sides of church history.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: derrida ( )
Date: December 31, 2011 09:40AM

Jesus did not avoid the appearance of evil when he scourged the money lenders in the temple or when he sought out publicans, or I guess when he made wine. I suppose his supposedly long hair in more modern representations of him would not be avoiding the Mormon concept of the appearance of evil. Be like the savior Mormons. Lulz.

Funny how Joseph Smith, some sort of emblematic Mormon, certainly did not avoid the appearance of evil.

Posted by: They don't want me back ( )
Date: December 31, 2011 09:47AM

Con-artist 101--Don't look evil while doing evil acts

That's why the instructions to membership, it's important for members to play their rolls well, to look the part, because they're an important part of the con.

Posted by: Just browsing ( )
Date: December 31, 2011 09:59AM

In my apostate condition , I was the "APPEARANCE OF EVIL" that everyone was told to avoid. (Actually the Stake president stood up and announced that).

When a person is at the same level as every other member of the stake ,, there is nothing to avoid ..However when someone has read the majority of early church history books , like the Journal of Discourses, Times and Seasons, The Seer,etc. then I became the source of everything *EVIL* to the TBMs in the surrounding areas.

JB

Posted by: They don't want me back ( )
Date: December 31, 2011 03:55PM

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: December 31, 2011 05:10PM

My response to that comment is "Judging other people by appearances IS evil. Why should I try to avoid appearing evil in order to impress people who actually ARE evil?" I've only gotten to use it once but the TBM who I told it to actually thought is was a good comeback.

Posted by: exmollymo ( )
Date: December 31, 2011 05:16PM

I'm totally using that comeback next time I hear that out of a TBM! Thanks!

Off topic CA girl, but where in Cali are you from (if you don't mind answering)? I'm originally from the Riverside area, but left at 18 to go to BYU and have only went back to visit family.

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: December 31, 2011 05:32PM

I grew up in Northern California - it's a pretty small town so I won't mention the name but in more recent years I lived in the Sacramento area. That's my favorite part of the state because absolutely everything I love to do is a day trip away - skiing in the Sierras, San Francisco, Malibu, shopping in So. Cal, places to sail, camping on the coast, Oregon, decent produce and seafood... well, you get the idea.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/31/2011 05:32PM by CA girl.

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: December 31, 2011 06:00PM

And lol, I hate it down there. Too hot and dry for me. Maybe that is from growing up in Utah. LOVED living in No. Cal and no matter where I live I will always be a 49er/Raiders fan!

Posted by: WiserWomanNow ( )
Date: December 31, 2011 05:47PM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.