Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: They don't want me back ( )
Date: January 02, 2012 10:49AM

it will also cure sinus infections, ear aches, and any other medical or mental disorders that you may have.

Long story short, any problem in life can be solved with at testimony that the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Staints is the one true church on earth today, once you know that, all will be well.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: newfreedom ( )
Date: January 02, 2012 11:04AM

Having a strong testimony is the reason for depression.

When I was active, I was always depressed. Trying to keep up with the pace of everything that I was 'supposed' to be doing was exhausting.

Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: January 02, 2012 11:07AM

Really? Then Utah, being the state with the highest use of anti-depressants must mean most of the folks DON'T have a testimony? I KNEW it!

Posted by: The Motrix ( )
Date: January 02, 2012 11:18AM

Here's a short true story:
When doing some of my studies at Utah State (didn't stay long) the EQP got up and said that his mom was RS pres for many years and she KNEW that depression was only caused by living a sinful life and that was the result of losing the spirit and having guilt. He knew it by extension.
The sad part was, this EQP was finishing up his last semester with a PhD in science. With credentials like that, and an ability to ignore science, this douche is probably a stake president somewhere.

Posted by: Holbrook ( )
Date: January 02, 2012 11:36AM

I have heard numerous talks and lessons that have used the Book of Mormon to support that view. The favorite scripture seems to be:

"despair cometh because of iniquity." Moroni 10:22

One of my bishops liked to use that scripture. He claimed, among other things, that masturbation would lead to depression because it drove the spirit away and led to despair.

Posted by: nonmo_1 ( )
Date: January 03, 2012 05:16PM

"One of my bishops liked to use that scripture. He claimed, among other things, that masturbation would lead to depression because it drove the spirit away and led to despair."

Any mormons/ex mormons here ever wonder why "The Spirit" was so fleeting, weak, and anal-retentive? I mean, so many have prayed, and prayed, and prayed, waiting for "The Spirit". They may have have even received that burning in the bosom...only to piss it all away for masturbation....never to get "The Spirit" again....

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: January 02, 2012 01:57PM

Well, that's not medically sound advice, is it?
It was my understanding that the members were to use sound medical advice and blessings for healing that they worked together. That's how we lived it and how we were instructed even in those blessings. They usually had something to say about blessing the surgeon, etc. and doctors to find the problem and fix it.
Of course, now, I skip the blessings for healing and stick to sound medical advice.

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: January 02, 2012 02:09PM

Keep up the facade. It wouldn't do for a mormon to be anything less that pollyanna perfect. So if one of their own is down, it can't be that the church and it's wonderful gospel aren't working, no. It has to be that the person is committing some horrible sin, like using their brain. And that is why they are depressed.

Could claiming to have a testimony when you really don't cause depression? Denying your own brain permission to function is probably not the most healthy thing to do mentally.

Posted by: untarded ( )
Date: January 02, 2012 03:32PM

And today I have no depression.

Posted by: Rebeckah ( )
Date: January 02, 2012 05:35PM

Oh, and vitamins -- those are supposed to cure everything too.

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: January 02, 2012 05:38PM

Typical bizarro logic from the morg.

Posted by: another guy ( )
Date: January 03, 2012 05:33PM

That only works for LDS Corp, not for the people 'giving' their hard-earned money to that blood-sucking company.

Posted by: Just browsing ( )
Date: January 02, 2012 08:10PM

If you believe strongly about anything --Classical Music --Vikings Football -- TCOJCOLDS -- Knitting -- Running --Yoga , or any other item that generates interest, that occupies your mind and you body, and gives you reason to take up an activity -- then the possibility of removing your depression has a far better chance of succeeding..

Replace Negative with Positive

JB

Posted by: quatermass ( )
Date: January 03, 2012 12:57AM

Full-on clinical depression is a dreadful, debilitating disease. A *disease*.

Comparing it with being down is like comparing cancer with a bit of a cold.

It is utterly ridiculous to suggest a testimony can 'cure it'. One may just as well suggest having a testimony can heal a broken leg!

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: January 03, 2012 01:19AM

It works, just as long as your testimony is in the power of pharmaceuticals to effect chemical balances in ones brain. For depression, I don't think prescription drugs are always a good long term solution, but they are an excellent stop gap while you try to figure out what is going on. There is nothing wrong with stop gaps.

Posted by: imalive ( )
Date: January 03, 2012 12:57PM

For me, taking one antidepressent as a preventative measure, along with monthly counseling and working out, helps keep my depression at bay. So I use a variety of methods.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: January 03, 2012 07:45AM

Posted by: They don't want me back ( )
Date: January 03, 2012 01:04PM

and that the Church is right, and follow the prophet!

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: January 03, 2012 09:32AM

You just ignore fact and push feelings down inside you. It's good for the short-term, in any case. You abdicate your personal judgment and responsibility to someone else, study only from the approved list, and press on regardless. I'm sure some people are fine with it.

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: January 03, 2012 09:36AM

Why is it OK to take prescribed medication to help with a tooth ache, but not with emotional pain? When combined with proper counseling and used responsibly, anti-depression medications are a godsend for people who suffer very real pain.

I would point out something. As disgusted as Mormon members get about psychological medications, even though their own church says such medicine is OK, Utah is number one in the number of state citizens who are on some type of psychological medication. Google it.

Posted by: Uncle Max ( )
Date: January 03, 2012 10:08AM

Bet which ever bright spark came up with that one, wasn't depressed.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: January 03, 2012 10:28AM

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: January 03, 2012 03:15PM

I have an exmo friend with Crohn's disease. It's an incurable malady of the intestines which makes life miserable.

His parents are TBM. I attended the funeral of a neighbor of his parents (and of mine--same neighborhood) who was a faithful TBM all his days but spent the last 15 years of his life bedridden with pain and disease while his TBM wife treated him like dirt until death mercifully took him.

The father of my exmo friend says to him (the exmo friend), "We learned that in the Book of Mormon if you have enough faith you will have perfect health."

Now this was while we were in town for the funeral of a faithful TBM who spent the final 15 years of his life in horrible health.

What they say has no need for a connection to reality.

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: January 03, 2012 10:56PM

I've had people say that stupid shit to me. It's so cruel its beyond belief.

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: January 03, 2012 10:59PM

I have a very strong testimony
The Mormon church is NOT true.

The depression has lifted.

Posted by: untarded ( )
Date: January 03, 2012 06:21PM

....The more I believe Mormons are the most Stupidly superstitous idiots on Mother Earth.

"Superstition is the religion of feeble minds."
Burke, Edmund

Posted by: Don Bagley ( )
Date: January 03, 2012 10:13PM

unfortunately, it's fatal to the patient.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.