Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: freshperspective ( )
Date: January 05, 2012 05:18PM

I forget if he is an apologetic mormon or if he is full fledged and pledged mormon or ex-mormon. If he is a supporting member, think I should I tell him to fuck off?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: January 05, 2012 05:25PM

Posted by: badseed ( )
Date: January 05, 2012 07:27PM

I think he's honest and has relatively pure motives. Just my take.

Posted by: Pil-Latté ( )
Date: January 05, 2012 05:31PM

When I had a FB account he was one of my friends. I enjoyed the links he would post.

JoD is right.. He's a good guy!

Date: January 05, 2012 05:51PM

hmmm ok. I think I remember him giving some talks about the psychology behind mormonism and he seemed pretty level headed, fair and reasonable. He may not like hearing or seeing some of my (as devout mormons would consider) "anti-mormon propoganda" even though I'm just sharing the truth once in a while. not all the time though. Just when I feel inspired or someone motivates me to speak up when I see they're not thinking clearly. I'm talking about the few facebook mormon friends I have left who I decided to keep as friends and they did as well, partly because they can handle open dialogue. I'm assuming John Dehlin can handle open dialogue as well? Can he handle critical thinking when it comes to the rhymes and reasons for mormon culture and teachings? If he can't I'd rather not deal with another headache.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/05/2012 05:52PM by freshperspective.

Posted by: jessica ( )
Date: January 05, 2012 06:00PM

Yes, he has interesting discussions on his FB page. He shows both sides pretty good lately I've seen more anti comments than for..

Date: January 05, 2012 06:10PM

hmmm, ok, thanks

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: January 05, 2012 06:54PM

Many of us here are FB friends with him. But we're not so important as you, and we had to apply to be HIS friend.

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: January 07, 2012 10:46AM

It is like having a mutant friend, you just keep staring. Methinks he enjoys being the religious bi guy because he definitely swings both ways.

Anagrammy

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: January 05, 2012 06:59PM

Accept and see how you like the posts. It's up to you. As with any post, if it's too far "off" my acceptable limit, I click: HIDE.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: January 05, 2012 07:16PM

I don't see how anyone can Stick in MoMism after studying it, there seems to be NO Evidence to support it, but rather a verifiable history - pattern of Lies, half-lies, obfuscation (I'll have to look that up sometime!)...

the Damage that's been done to families 'in the name of Good' seems to Far Outweigh any benefits, even just the 'earthly' ones.
Ask me, I'll tell you: my family is a MESS now because of the One-Size-Fits-All / Perfection syndrome, enforced in a Hateful, Deceitful manner, condoned-excused-ratified by ChurchCo.

there's little if any internal consistency in the way things work, let alone relationships with 'errant' members.

"Order"? Yeah, the way the Elders park cars at S.C. ... it's run by a bunch of neo-nazis. big whoop.

Date: January 05, 2012 07:27PM

He may have seen some of my past posts directed to the facebook page I created or my youtube channel or just saw my entry in the Mormon pop art contest then saw more of my art work and might have intrigued him, or he's just making his rounds adding as many friends regardless who they are. I find it kind of strange how a well known church member with thousands of friends already would approach me otherwise. There couldn't be any other ways or reasons he would have even seen or bumped into me on the internet.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/05/2012 07:29PM by freshperspective.

Date: January 06, 2012 03:33PM

Accoring to what Mormons think anti-mormon propaganda to be. I was going off on a couple of people in the Mormon Pop Art contest who continued making justifications as to why one of the art pieces with Barack Obama sitting in a chair in the temple with 666 written across his chest while all the other "wholesome Mormons and leaders" were in white.

How do I know this is why Mr. Dehlin couldn't handle hearing someone who chooses to have a voice and defend anyone of other races and backgrounds while slamming Mormonism and how they make themselves look like judgmental hypocrites? I noticed John Dehlin also is in that pop art group as of this morning, when I saw that he "liked" Mormon pop art shortly before he took himself off my friends list after he saw how I was going off on a few of these inconsiderate hypocrites in that group who were refusing to admit the racist undertone and slander of Barack Obama with 666 written across his chest portrayed as the devil or even son of cain in disguise.

He obviously can't handle the truth as he continues to justify his own position in the church and make excuses for others as he continues to support what they do in doors, out doors and behind closed doors.

Posted by: helemon ( )
Date: January 07, 2012 01:06AM

freshperspective Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> How do I know this is why Mr. Dehlin couldn't
> handle hearing someone who chooses to have a voice
> and defend anyone of other races and backgrounds
> while slamming Mormonism and how they make
> themselves look like judgmental hypocrites? I
> noticed John Dehlin also is in that pop art group
> as of this morning, when I saw that he "liked"
> Mormon pop art shortly before he took himself off
> my friends list after he saw how I was going off
> on a few of these inconsiderate hypocrites in that
> group who were refusing to admit the racist
> undertone and slander of Barack Obama with 666
> written across his chest portrayed as the devil or
> even son of cain in disguise.

I am with you on this. That sounds like a painting that should be criticized. Undertone? Those aren't undertones it is practically screaming bigotry, racism, and religious intolerance. If JD is a man who "does not tolerate disrespect" as a poster on this thread said, he should not tolerate that painting.

Date: January 07, 2012 11:56AM

helemon Wrote:
If JD is a man who "does not
> tolerate disrespect" as a poster on this thread
> said, he should not tolerate that painting.

But he obviousely did approve of it, so did the owner of the group including other jack asses justifying it's condensending tone.

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: January 06, 2012 05:59PM

His views towards the church have changed considerably over the last 3-4 years. He knows the truth but he doesn't rub it in the faces of Mormons. From his postion he can reach more people on the inside than anyone else I know.

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: January 06, 2012 09:19PM

The latest podcast on the Mormon Expressions website is an interview with John Dehlin. He is very open about what he believes and what he is trying to achieve.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: January 06, 2012 06:04PM

is good friends with JD and my therapist is very much exmormon and has been since his early 20s (he is about 52 now). IN fact, I think they go for walks, etc.

If my therapist--who is one of the smartest people I know--likes John, he must not be too bad of a guy.

Posted by: lazarus ( )
Date: January 06, 2012 09:27PM

Would you mind sharing who your therapist is? I have been looking for a good exmo therapist.

Posted by: Twinker ( )
Date: January 06, 2012 06:44PM

John Dehlin is the one who started it. I think this is how it went: (Correct me, folks if I'm wrong).

I believe someone took the painting of the prophets and inserted John Dehlin into the picture with photoshop. John found it funny and created the challenge, offering $100. for the best photoshopped picture, to be all in fun. I think the insertion of Barack Obama with the 666 was a not-so-subtle slam or satire against those right-wing whackos who criticize Obama. Certainly John does not have a racist or prejudiced bone in his body.

I have listened to John's Mormon Stories and have come to understand his goal as one of providing a safe place for people to explore doubts and troubling issues. It is not his goal to influence anyone either way to stay or leave the church. I have enormous respect for his integrity. He will not tolerate dis-respect but there is no issue related to the church that he will not explore.

I imagine you were friended because you posted on the contest post which is in fact his page.

Hope that helps.

Date: January 07, 2012 12:13AM

Twinker Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> John Dehlin is the one who started it. I think
> this is how it went: (Correct me, folks if I'm
> wrong).
>
> He will
> not tolerate dis-respect but there is no issue
> related to the church that he will not explore.
>
> I imagine you were friended because you posted on
> the contest post which is in fact his page.
>
> Hope that helps.

If he is the one who started the mormon pop art page, then why on earth did I see him "like" the page this morning? If he is the one who started the group and he does not tolerate dis-respect, then he's a freaking hypocrite as I pointed out to the owner of that group this morning, based on all the justifications for placing 666 across Obama's chest for one, and the owner of that group insulted me in more than one way, so I insulted him back. I imagine he friended me because he saw I posted on that contest as well, but that may not necessarily mean he runs that group. just the contest.

Posted by: Taddlywog ( )
Date: January 07, 2012 12:59AM

I am the one who posted the RuPaul and George Carlin picture. He is paying the award.

He does not tollerate disrespect in debate it verges on censorship, but he does cut a wide swath. It creates an interesting noman's land for latterday saints and yesterday saints to interact. It's not something everyone wants to engage in.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: January 06, 2012 07:58PM

A nice thing about John's link is that it gives you the opportunity to voice an opinion to both believers and non-believers alike. He will only remove it (I think) if it's offensive, but not for opinion content.

Posted by: jebus ( )
Date: January 06, 2012 10:20PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZQJc5SxnVs

John's youtube "Why people leave the Church" is a good one. It is pretty factual about a lot of the issues, but is tame enough that TBM's might be willing to watch it. John knows whats up but plays the middle ground. He functions as sort of a referee between our side and the deluded masses. John has enough credibility and influence among the believing crowd that he can expose people to ideas and issues that they otherwise would shut out.

John has done more to enlighten Mormons than the vast majority of Formons who are engaged in the effort.

I had dinner with John a while back. He is as oriented to reality as anyone.

Posted by: Exmogal ( )
Date: January 07, 2012 10:09AM

Who cares about John Dehlin?

I mean seriously. I am not impressed with the guy's trying to hold onto strands of Mormonism.

Posted by: Taddlywog ( )
Date: January 07, 2012 11:49AM

He can come off as self important and I sometimes question his motive. I think that is my residual communist Mormon response....cant you try to be just like everyone else?

Overall he assumes risks that a lot of folks rather not take and if he has found a way of benefit that works for him I think he will continue, that must be the capitalist side of me piping in.

For me his approach would be like living a half life, keeping halfway into the church. And I surely do not have the passion or the interest in drawing that much attention to myself to do what he does. He's got hutzpa. If he can wake up introspection in droning Mormon masses, I am for it. Sun Tzsu would dig it too. Although it seems disengenuine to engage in areas you are opposed it is a good strategy for understanding and opponent and planing your next move.

The odd ball of the crowd for me is the Joanna lady who trys to reimagine what Mormonism is. Her effort seems really delusional to me sometimes.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.