Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: lily ( )
Date: January 06, 2012 01:29AM

I have this bizarre autistic-like obsession with the temple. I'd love to go through once before I die- it's on my bucket list. (Not enough to actually go through the process of being baptized and being Mo, but ya know, I'd like to find a way...)

I have actually gone to the Denver temple and wandered around the grounds. I just find the whole idea... intriguing. Not sure why.

I just saw that they have announced a temple in Fort Fun! While I'm shocked that they are going to do it (I really don't think Colorado is very Mo-heavy at all), I'm thrilled to have one close so I can go to an open house.

I considered going to the Oquirrh open house, but it was way too far. I know this is a while away, but I can go to this one without any trouble at all!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: westernwillows ( )
Date: January 06, 2012 09:50AM

I grew up in Colorado Springs, and the Church has owned a piece of property there for years (at least 20 that I can remember) that is supposed to be for a temple someday. COS is VERY heavily Mormon (surprisingly) Colorado seems to be where the Mormons go that can't hack it in Utah. Being a college town I don't think Fort Collins has quite the Mormon influence that Colorado Springs does, but its definitly there.

Posted by: Flyer ( )
Date: January 07, 2012 10:15AM

Where are they getting all the money from for so many temples, with membership declining?

LDS Inc. must have a ton of wealth.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: January 07, 2012 10:25AM

I was looking at a list of temples, and it dawned on me what a building spree the church has been on in the last thirty years or so. Old-timers talk about the golden age of the church, back in the 60's and 70's, when there were tons of fun activities for the members. Correlation clamped down on that, but I also think that the church made the decision to start diverting funds to temple construction.

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: January 07, 2012 11:18AM

+1- The Springs has a large Mormon population. What suprises me is that a temple wasn't built there instead of Ft Collins.

It doesn't make sense to me that they would build it in a partying college town rather than where their members are more concentrated 2 hours down I-25, but then again, when has TSCC ever used common sense?

Posted by: RichardtheBad (not logged in) ( )
Date: January 07, 2012 11:24AM

That surprises me too. The only explanation I can think of is that they are looking to bring in all the members along the northern I-25 corridor. Basically from Billings, Mt. south. And parts of Nebraska.

Date: January 07, 2012 11:26AM

My memory is fuzzy on that, but I remember the Springs as being about an hour away from Denver, with Ft. Collins being closer to two hours away. Also my bet is that the Ft. Collins temple will also pull in members from Wyoming.

Posted by: bignevermo ( )
Date: January 07, 2012 11:33AM

they are about equidistant...both about an hour..Fort Fun...i like that... i have been there a few times...Denver more...brutal winds sometimes!! :)

Date: January 07, 2012 11:52AM

I lived in Boulder many years ago, and went up to Ft. Collins a few times. It seemed further away than that to me. Further away in attitude if not in distance, I guess!

Ft. Collins struck me as being an average Colorado town, with Boulder being more socially liberal and the Springs, more socially conservative. Denver was...Denver.

Posted by: bignevermo ( )
Date: January 07, 2012 11:55AM

Fort Collins was for drinking and throwing darts! :)
last time i was there(Denver) a woman and i tried to get to Estes park but the wind started a massive wildfire...anyway... COS would seem a more logical fit... unless as someone suggested that is is for the Wyoming peeps too...

Date: January 07, 2012 11:59AM

Since the church owns land there, I guess a temple will be in the works one day. One thing for sure -- the church will *never* build a temple in Boulder! Ha ha!

Date: January 07, 2012 04:34PM

And thank GOD for that.

Although I can't imagine Boulder letting them even if they tried. Space is a premium there, and a McTemple wouldn't fit in visually.

Posted by: Pista ( )
Date: January 07, 2012 04:45PM

FtCo and CoSp are approximately equi-distant from Denver proper, but the Denver temple is actually in Littleton, which is the far south side of Denver metro and much closer to the Springs.

Posted by: xMo ( )
Date: January 07, 2012 07:17PM

They're building so many now if they keep up the pace they will have to start popping up much closer together, like Meridian-Boise (10 miles) and Gilbert-Mesa. So I wouldn't rule out a ColSprings temple in the future.

Posted by: BoulderResidentSince 1987 ( )
Date: January 07, 2012 04:14PM

Hahaha... yes, never! That's one great thing about living here. I love Boulder. They have one LDS church here, and it looks as if it hasn't been touched since 1970. Needs new shingles. Go Buffs. Anyone looking for a great NoMo place to live? This is the place.

Date: January 07, 2012 04:38PM

I love Boulder. And I know which ward house you're talking about. On the other hand, there is one on South Boulder Road on the way into Louisville/Lafayette that is packed almost every Sunday. The lot is always filled with higher end SUV vehicles. I went to a F&T meeting there once for a religion class. The sanctuary looked like a funeral home.

Posted by: BoulderResidentSince 1987 ( )
Date: January 07, 2012 05:39PM

Yes, that one has a Louisville address, it's the one I was invited to this Christmas for the annual Ward Christmas Party... (and no, I did not go, LOL). I always pass the old one on Table Mesa while driving to my kids' high school. It seems to blend into its surroundings -- kind of like Boulder swallowed it up.

Date: January 07, 2012 07:14PM

I was there when they put in the downtown pedestrian mall. I lived on Pine St. and used to zip over to the mall all the time. I walked everywhere in Boulder. I'd still love to go back for a month or so one of these summers.

Posted by: reinventinggrace ( )
Date: January 07, 2012 07:07PM

lily wrote:
"I'm thrilled to have one close so I can go to an open house."

I took a bunch of my peeps on an 8 hour train trip to go to the Vancouver BC temple open house. It was very enlightening for all. I highly recommend it.

Best to go with friends. Try to bring an exmo who has been through the temple to answer all your questions.

Plan for quite a bit of time. To do it right, you'll want to go on the tour twice -- once to take it in, then go outside and debrief, and whoever has been through an active temple can answer questions and tell folks what he/she saw that wasn't pointed out, then go through another tour.

We went to a bar for at least 3 hours afterwards to answer questions. It was a real hoot.

RG

Posted by: nowI'mfound ( )
Date: January 07, 2012 07:46PM

I live in Fort Collins about five minutes from the temple site. This place is the new morridor. I blame the fact that HP hires out of BYU. At least 30% of DH's co-workers are members. It's a little much for us.

Posted by: nowI'mfound ( )
Date: January 07, 2012 07:52PM

Also, this temple is meant to serve parts of Wyoming--the border is only 40 minutes from here. DH says I should also specify that HP is Hewlett-Packard not High Priests, LOL. There are several big companies here (HP, Intel, AMD, etc.) and they recruit out of BYU. Fort Collins' morg population is pretty high. Wish we'd have known that before we moved here.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.