Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: angelina5 ( )
Date: January 06, 2012 12:10PM

I am learning to trust myself, trust my own principles, instincts, without automatically measuring my thoughts and desires with the Church teachings. It's hard to trust you are moral enough to make decision without the suppoort of the Church's teachings. But I must say that as diffiult as it is, it is oh so invigorating!!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: January 06, 2012 01:13PM

Some people clearly do need an outside authority telling them right and wrong, but I don't buy into the claim that we are ALL sinners, that we're ALL doomed unless we do what religious leaders tell us to do.

Even when I was a good Mormon, I didn't figure out why so many of my fellow believers kept using church standards to measure every single decision, action, or whatever. Didn't they have any standards of their own? Didn't they trust their own instincts?

Then I figured it out. The church had trained them not to believe in themselves. Because the more people believed in themselves, the less they needed the church. The church NEVER wants you not needing the church, because then the church becomes irrelevant. What good then are leaders with no followers?

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: January 06, 2012 01:22PM

Do the police come to your house on such frequency that they know you by name? Is your IQ below 65? Are you an inmate inside a mental health facility (not counting ones designed to cure homosexuality)? Do you fashion furniture out of the body parts of dead women? If you answered no to all these important questions, then you probably don't need an outside force guiding your every decision. It's called being a responsible adult. Enjoy it.

Posted by: blackholesun ( )
Date: January 06, 2012 01:39PM

Damn! I answered Yes to more than one of your questions. Now what? Go back to school, get rid of the meth lab in my kitchen, and buy all new furniture?

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: January 06, 2012 01:26PM

YES!! Trust yourself. That was a biggie for me. Everything I learned about the LDS Church in my examination of "what's wrong with this picture" reaffirmed that I could trust myself and I was correct to do so all along!!

Never allow anyone to discard your own innate trust of yourself.

The whole point of religion it seems, is to make you reliant on them for everything you even think about.

There is a great freedom in being responsible for your own thoughts, knowing you can change your mind, knowing you are the captain of your ship !

The more you trust yourself, the easier it gets.

Posted by: angelina5 ( )
Date: January 06, 2012 01:37PM

Thanks everyone for your words. Slowly but surely I will conquer!

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: January 06, 2012 03:08PM

I love paradigm shifts! It means you've made a discovery. There will be changes. Usually for the better. Learning something new when I thought I already had it figured out. It's like moving to a new town, without actually moving. It most likely will bring some very interesting people in your life.

Posted by: nebularry ( )
Date: January 06, 2012 03:09PM

I once heard that the definition of being an adult is being able to give yourself permission.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.