Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Exmosis ( )
Date: January 07, 2012 10:12AM

Don't you find it pretty funny that a billionaire chemical corporation prez got called as one of Jesus' modern day "12 Apostles?" (playing along with the idea of Jesus even existing)

That seems unspiritual that of all the men in the world, Jesus would pick a corporate billionaire as a spiritual leader!!!! LMAO

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: toto ( )
Date: January 07, 2012 10:49AM

He was in the seventy, and released a while back, but I don't remember him as an apostle.

And yes, I do know him. He was my neighbor and stake president when I went on a mission and released me when I returned. He's a decent guy who grew up without a lot of wealth and still recognizes that fact, unbelievably. In my release meeting with him, he showed me a Ballet West program and said, "Look! My company's in an ad in this program. Can you believe it?" I'll never forget that moment; it was like he was still a kid with big eyes who couldn't imagine he'd found his fortune.

He also gave a powerful devotional messages when I was in the singles ward in Salt Lake about "luck" in his life. He didn't think the Holy Spirit had guided his path to wealth; he felt it was the luck of the draw.

Mormons to me aren't black and white, especially those who've remained my friends since leaving the morg. I praise the few of my Mormon friends for sticking with me knowing I'm not returning. They like me for who I am. Huntsman isn't a "friend"; I haven't talked with him in decades, but like I said before, he's a decent guy. He's also one of the few Mormons who is outspoken against the majority Conservative legislature's decisions whether for education or business policy or other things.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/07/2012 10:49AM by toto.

Date: January 07, 2012 11:02AM

So Huntsman Sr. is no longer a Mormon apostle?

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: January 07, 2012 12:20PM

Sounds like my Dad...TBM, honest, kind and made his wealth through hard work and good management...the MORG was secondary to his family and business....

Posted by: Poppy ( )
Date: January 07, 2012 11:34AM

Huntsman Sr. and Marriott Jr. were both released as "Area Seventies" so they could pursue their obvious political goals in an election year.

Posted by: Crathes ( )
Date: January 07, 2012 12:30PM

Jon Huntsman, Sr WAS NEVER a Mormon Apostle. Never. He was a 70, now released.

Jon Jr is MINO (Mormon in name only).

Jon Jr's grandfather (Sr's FIL) was Mormon Apostle, David Haight.

Date: January 07, 2012 12:41PM

So a 70 is not an "Apostle?"

Wonder what he thinks of Mormonism these days, having been on the inside as a 70?

He hasn't called out his own son for being MINO. So does this mean he is not a true believer, either?

Posted by: regularguy ( )
Date: January 07, 2012 01:15PM

Jon Sr was my mission president back in the early 80s. A very decent man. He has given millions for cancer research. He has stated he would give his last penny if he knew for certain that it would produce a cure.

I've been out for a couple of years, but Jon Sr isn't and has never been an aposlte.

Why would you post that without doing a simple google search first?

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: January 09, 2012 06:52AM

Interesting that your Mission President was willing to support medical science to find a cure for cancer when he supposedly believes that he himself has the power to cure cancer.

Or do you think he knows enough not to rely on Priesthood Blessings?

Posted by: chimes ( )
Date: January 07, 2012 01:21PM

is NOT an apostle. An apostle is a member of the quorum of 12 Apostles. A 70 is considered a General Authority, but not an apostle...

Date: January 07, 2012 03:05PM

I assumed GA and apostles were the same, but now now differently.

Posted by: reinventinggrace ( )
Date: January 07, 2012 03:11PM

Exmosis --

Here's a summary of Huntsman Sr at "wikipedia.org".

"He is a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and served as an Area Seventy and as a member of the Fifth Quorum of the Seventy, until he was released during the Saturday Afternoon session of General Conference of the Church held October 1, 2011."
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jon_Huntsman,_Sr.

In the Mormon Church leadership, there's 12 Apostles, 3 members of "The First Presidency", and a couple hundred "Seventies". All are referred to as "General Authorities" and get folks's hearts aflutter when they open their mouths, but the Seventies are really small potatoes. It's just a step or two above Stake Prez , it's only for a couple years and you're released, and you'll never get to speak at General Conference or get featured in The Ensign.

LDS, Inc. Probable calls the Marriott and Huntsman types to Seventies not to actually get any work out of them, but to boost the church's standing in the eyes of the business world. Just a guess. Or to give these guys a pat on the back for dumping millions into the coffers every year.
Cheers, RG

Posted by: AnonForThis ( )
Date: January 07, 2012 03:15PM

I've known him most of my life, and he's a very nice, humble man. Always has been. Has met with the Pope and donated to Catholic charities, etc., not just LDS. He always has time to write a personal thank you note, and is worldy enough to know that he doesn't have all of the answers. I have never known him to treat anyone unkindly. The same goes for Jon Jr., such a good guy. They both make it a point to ask about YOU and your life, even if you only talk to them for a minute. My family and I are never-actives, and I married a Catholic. He has never brought up religion with us.

Posted by: Tedious ( )
Date: January 07, 2012 03:29PM

Huntsman Sr founded the Huntsman Cancer Institute which does stellar work and has a wonderful research reputation.

Arguably a more Christian thing than anything ever done by the Church

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: January 07, 2012 04:24PM

See some info on Huntsman SR here LINK:
http://www.google.com/#hl=en&cp=14&gs_id=1h&xhr=t&q=jon+huntsman+sr&pf=p&sclient=psy-ab&safe=off&source=hp&pbx=1&oq=jon+huntsman+s&aq=0&aqi=g4&aql=&gs_sm=&gs_upl=&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&fp=23bc058ba87a7947&biw=932&bih=623

SEE THIS LINK FOR HOW LDS LEADERSHIP is divided up. ONLY the 1st and 2nd Quorum of Seventy are considered General Authorities.
http://www.ldschurchnews.com/leaders/

General Authorities - October 2011

The First Presidency
The Quorum of the Twelve Apostles
The Presidency of the Seventy
The First Quorum of the Seventy
The Second Quorum of the Seventy
The Presiding Bishopric

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/07/2012 04:41PM by SusieQ#1.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.