Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: student ( )
Date: January 07, 2012 11:05AM

I found a rubber stamp on ebay that looks exactly like the USPS stamp with the image of a hand pointing and the check boxes to indicate the reason for the return.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RETURN-SENDER-Self-Inking-Rubber-Stamp-Red-/370261419389?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item56354ce57d

I couldn't find one with the middle finger extended, so I guess I'll go with this one...

Seriously, my question is has anyone ever done this and are there any legal/moral/ethical issues with this or unintended consequences?

Just so tired of the continued mailing of cards and gifts years after very clearly wanting no more contact.

Thanks for being the best board ever.

Student.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: summer ( )
Date: January 07, 2012 11:21AM

I used to get a lot of mail for other people at my address. What I would do is cross out the address and write, "Not at this address -- return to sender" on the envelope and then drop in it the nearest mailbox. It took a couple of years but it eventually worked. I don't get anyone else's mail now.

I'm not sure how it works in terms of doing it for yourself. You might try asking your postal carrier.

Posted by: student ( )
Date: January 07, 2012 12:03PM

if there are any specific filters that can be put on snail mail. Is there an option to immediately shred any wedding (I mean reception) invitation addressed to me that consists of a glossy postcard with 5-10 cheezy photos of people too young to get married fondeling each other next to a mormon temple?

The advantage of the stamp would be that they won't see my handwriting and think that I've communicated with them in some way.

I'd rather it have the anonymity of a generic stamp. And they would think the post office did it, not me. And I think I would check the "addressee unknown" rather than "moved left no address." Which communicates even less information.

Is this lying/being a chicken s*$T? Am I being ridiculous about this whole thing?

Student.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: January 07, 2012 12:48PM

I've learned several useful things about mail delivery by chatting with my mail carrier on occasion.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: January 07, 2012 11:52AM

It doesn't need to look like a US Mail stamp unless that's important to you.

Posted by: nonamekid ( )
Date: January 07, 2012 05:18PM

get a prohibitory order from the post office.
How? See my post in this thread:

http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,367634,367678#msg-367678

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/07/2012 05:18PM by nonamekid.

Posted by: athreehourbore ( )
Date: January 07, 2012 05:21PM

I used to open two junk mail envelopes, take out the contents of each, and put the one company's literature inside the postage-prepaid envelope provided by the other, and vice versa.

Put both pre-paid envelopes in the mail and wala! Each junk mail advertiser foots the bill to re-ship their crap back to each other.

I heard about a guy doing this daily, who got in the news about it somehow and credit card companies were trying to get him to stop.

[Evil laugh]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/07/2012 05:22PM by athreehourbore.

Posted by: 3X ( )
Date: January 09, 2012 10:22AM

"Each junk mail advertiser foots the bill to re-ship their crap back to each other."
<snort>

I know of a case in which a bulk-mail vendor received one of its postage-guaranteed postcards back with a brick attached. (I've seen the brick.)

I'm a little surprised that the P.O. accepted the return "ensemble" - but they did ...

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.