Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: barney ( )
Date: January 07, 2012 12:33PM

I just wondered what the Huntsman story is. Is he TBM like Romney? I gather that he is a bigwig in the west, but relatively unheard of here in the northeast.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ExmoMom ( )
Date: January 07, 2012 03:03PM

His Dad is a self made billionaire, who was raised by Jack Mormons, but due to his father's alcoholism problems, decided he wanted to live the Mormon lifestyle himself and raised his kids as TBMs.

He married Apostle David B. Haight's daughter Karen (I think) and they raised their kids as TBMs.

But, Jon seems quite liberal. He married a woman who wasn't raised Mormon, but later converted. Although he served a mission, he doesn't seem too interested in Mormonism, but he may be trying to underply his Mormonism so he can get elected.

I wish I knew for sure which it was. One of his kids married outside the church. He says he's teaching his two adopted kids about their own roots, but that doesn't mean they aren't still taking their kids to church each week.

Posted by: sargon ( )
Date: January 07, 2012 03:29PM

He's a bit "soft," as Fortune magazine put it, and he says he's not overly religious. He's raising his Indian girl as a Hindu.

Posted by: AnonForThis ( )
Date: January 07, 2012 03:36PM

http://www.newyorker.com/talk/2011/11/14/111114ta_talk_lizza

Jack-Mos. See link above. Article in The New Yorker... daughters drink wine and iced tea (Liddy is diabetic and probably doesn't drink much alcohol). Jon often expresses his belief in science.

Posted by: grubbygert ( )
Date: January 07, 2012 04:01PM

on other forums i read he's not really known as a mormon

"huntsman... he's the one with the hot daughters, right?"

that's how i suspect most of the country thinks of him...

Posted by: Exmosis ( )
Date: January 07, 2012 04:23PM

http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,386281,386376#msg-386376

He may have liberal kids but that doesn't mean he still isn't TBM inside.

He says he's a Mormon in this interview. But I remember being Mormon myself and admitting to it, but not being thrilled about it. Is this his true feeling, or is he saying this to get elected?

His repeating the standard Mo PR line that there are 13 million members worldwide tells me he isn't a closet exmo. Or at least, hasn't done enough thinking or research to realize that's a PR ploy.

Posted by: Lucky ( )
Date: January 07, 2012 05:19PM

barney Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I just wondered what the Huntsman story is. Is he
> TBM like Romney? I gather that he is a bigwig in
> the west, but relatively unheard of here in the
> northeast.

The Huntsman story......

Jon Jr. is ONLY viable/ credible because of the boost he got from his father Jon Sr. Jon Sr.was a member of the Nixon administration/ exec cabinet. Perhaps you have heard of Richard Nixon, H.R.Haldeman, E.Howard Hunt, G.Gordon Liddy,and Watergate even in the North East ? Jon Sr. was one of only two of the cabinet who wasnt indicted in the Watergate blow out. Perhaps thats why you have not heard of him. It seems that Water gate News came out of the North East, but Washington DC isnt really in the North East, its just the National Capital.... and really close to the North East. Granted this happened a long time ago, but not as long ago as the Joe Smith Gold Plates hoax that MORmONISM is based on, and the subsequent TBMism that you were wondering about. .

Jon Sr. has enough money/financial clout that Wall street types, as in Wall street as in New York, definitely know who Huntsman is. I heard that New York might be considered part of the North Eastern United States. I even heard that some ppl consider New York to be part of the country colloquially known as New England, colloquially because, after all, England doesnt really have colonies in the U.S. anymore.

Most of Huntman's business operating was based in Louisiana & Texas in the petrol polymer chemical belt. which is actually located in the South, instead of the west, despite what many Texans would like to say about the matter. Huntsman was criticized for this, by ppl ( idiots) in Utah who felt he should be doing a lot more bussiness in MORmON Zion (Utah).
Huntsman explained that Utah really wasnt that big of a player in the polymer business/ industry, even if it is the current headquarters for Zion & the best darn place on earth according to many MORmONS who live there. Despite all this trouble and turmoil Jon Sr. was allowed to retain his position as designate home teacher for the LDS President, and to have his son become Utah governor.

Most of all, the Huntsman fortune is based on a huge pile of styrene egg cartons & big Mac hamburger boxes, which seemed like such a good idea at the time but have now been replaced, ironically, with paper -which is superior once all the negative environmental factors of using styrene for disposable packaging have fully factored in. (I heard they had egg cartons & some McDonalds even in the North East ?)

as far as TBMism goes, its doubtful that either Romney or Huntsman Jr really believe much of the LDS crap, despite Romney's adamantly professed allegiance to it. Huntsman even less so than Romney apparently. Romney ala his Olympic experience is a proven stooge for LDS Inc to the extent of wearing a shock collar that is controled by "THE" church.
Romney's (laughable) insistence that this isnt so given everything else in Romney's MORmON centered existence goes to prove the point that he is a MORmON stooge much more than dispelling the notion. Romney has never seen an LDS Inc hoop that he wont jump through with glee, what ever it may be at the time, even while he is insisting that isnt what he's really doing.

Posted by: 3X ( )
Date: January 09, 2012 09:26AM

What's with the stupid, adolescent dig at the op's comment that Huntsman isn't well known in the Northeast.

Drop the crap.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: January 09, 2012 10:01AM

If the Huntsman name were better known in New England and the mid-Atlantic, he'd be doing better in the polls. I agree with the OP that he's off the radar in those areas. Wall Street is a world unto itself and no one remembers some obscure player in a distant administration.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/09/2012 10:01AM by summer.

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: January 07, 2012 05:28PM

I think him, and before him Owen Hatch, are a couple of politicians that have figured out that there is a lot of money to be made as "no-chance-in-hell" candidates. It's a lot like David Duke or Ron Paul. They stir up a lot of emotions within a small part of the population, and then raise a ton of money, only a small percent they actually spend on their campaign. According to campaign finance laws, after they retire, any money left in their war chests becomes their own. Some guys like David Duke used to "retire" after every lost election, then come out of retirement before the next. It's a glaring oversight that the politicians in Washington just haven't seemed to notice. Maybe they are too busy looking over their 401Ks.

Posted by: hello ( )
Date: January 07, 2012 08:46PM

I can see you accusing Mr. Cain for the trick of campaigning for personal profit, but I challenge you to show proofs of same regarding Ron Paul.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: January 07, 2012 08:38PM

I see him as a cultural Mormon only. Not that it much matters. He is clearly not TBM.

Huntsman isn't campaigning for the money. He's already got more money than he will ever be able to spend. He wants to be POTUS, and he is standing in line to get his number for 2016. He figures by then a moderate will look good to most people. Stay tuned.

Posted by: barney ( )
Date: January 07, 2012 08:56PM

Thanks. While I live in upstate NY, I don't keep close tabs on the business/political scene. Thanks to Lucky for pointing out my ignorance. And thanks to all for the info!

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: January 09, 2012 10:05AM

The Salt Lake Tribune had a funny cartoon on Friday. It depicts Romney and Huntsman as missionary companions:

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/opinion/53247919-82/bagley-cartoon-elders-facebook.html.csp

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.