Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: January 07, 2012 08:33PM

I was looking up the section on "Races of Men" so I could copy it somewhere, and my eyes passed over the section on Rape. It says "See SEX IMMORALITY." So, my interest was piqued to see what McConkie had to say about rape in the section on Sex Immorality. I flipped to that section, and the only mention is the following paragraph:

"Virtue may be lost by degrees; and chastity may be destroyed a step at a time. Immodesty, necking, and petting, themselves a form of sex immorality, frequently lead to much grosser offenses. Every degree and type of lewdness, lasciviousness, and licentiousness; of concupiscence, prostitution, and whoredoms; of sodomy, onanism, and homosexuality; of masturbation, incontinence, and perversion; of rape, seduction, and infidelity; of adultery, fornication, and uncleanness — all these things, as well as many others, are condemned by divine edict and are among Lucifer's chief means of leading souls to hell. Fine distinctions between them are of no particular moment and are not necessary to observance of the divine laws involved. Counsel in the field of chastity is simply: Be Chaste!"

So, avoid rape like you would other forms of sex immorality, m'kay? Unbelievable.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: nowI'mfound ( )
Date: January 09, 2012 07:44AM

I think in this context, he means the perpetrator not the victim, right? Although, I don't think being guilty of masturbation and being guilty of raping someone should fall into the same category either.

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: January 09, 2012 11:41AM

It could very well mean the victim, because LDS Church leaders used to teach that it was better to die than to be raped. I think it's deliberately vague.

Posted by: caedmon ( )
Date: January 09, 2012 10:16AM

Incontinence? What does an overactive bladder have to do with sexual immorality?

Posted by: imaworkinonit ( )
Date: January 09, 2012 10:25AM

I wonder how many women who have had too many babies and old people are guilty of that one?

And by the way, it kind of seemed like he was getting off on coming up with the most possible ways to sin.

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: January 09, 2012 03:01PM

Sounds like he was getting off on being a pretentious b@stard.

Posted by: hello ( )
Date: January 09, 2012 08:53PM

Some people use "incontinence" to refer to seminal emission, as in wet dream.

So don't do that, M'kay?

Posted by: deco ( )
Date: January 09, 2012 11:34AM

I can't wait for Mitt to explain that one to the media.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: January 09, 2012 11:50AM

points up two factors:

- a lot of LDS sayings are ambiguous. It's like they (even previous) went to the GBH school of PR

- (Bible based) the LDS believe that any sin, no matter how minor, will keep one out of the CK; 'the Lord can't look upon sin with the least degree of allowance', etc.

Posted by: grubbygert ( )
Date: January 09, 2012 12:50PM

word of the day: onanism

seriously, i'm gonna try to work that one into a conversation...

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: January 09, 2012 02:57PM

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: January 09, 2012 09:05PM

I'm laughing so hard that incontinence may become a problem. Maybe that's what was meant. Don't laugh at us so hard that you might wet yourself!

Maybe that's why you have to swear to no loud laughter. They don't want anyone laughing so hard in the temple that they pee their pants.

Just a couple of thoughts I've had.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.