Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Mormon?Really? ( )
Date: January 10, 2012 03:37AM

This ad which comes from a Huntsman supporter seriously attacks Mitt Romney for his Mormon racist past.

http://tiny.cc/9vj2k

I wonder if the guy who made it realized that Huntsman is a Mormon too?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: January 10, 2012 06:19AM

I'll bet this one comes down in a hurry, and the reason is that "I'm Jon Huntsman" sound bite at the end...

Huntsman isn't that stupid...

I'm guessing this one was put up by a Gingrich follower myself...

Comes down from YouTube that is... I have no idea whether this thread will remain, and that doesn't bother me an iota...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/10/2012 06:21AM by SL Cabbie.

Posted by: alex71ut ( )
Date: January 10, 2012 08:03AM

Huntman's Mormonism (or should I say "exmormonism") is a topic we've discussed many times here. He's a RM who quite obviously is NOT a TBM. So why is he no longer TBM? Was he offended? Did he just want to be a sinner? Or *GASP* did he figure out that the church is NOT what it claims to be? Perhaps his name is still on the records. But so are so many of the regulars here on RfM.

Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: January 10, 2012 08:43AM

Seems the church did not like his support of the Civil Rights movemant, and even warns him of impending personal disater by relating the horrible death of a non-member who questioned the Lords commandment regarding the race issues. Apostle Stapley goes to some length to express the wrongness of Georges attitude.

Just google George Romney Delbert Stapley.

Posted by: munchybotaz ( )
Date: January 10, 2012 10:09PM

and, bonus, it's a shit sandwich:

http://mormonmatters.org/wp-content/uploads/2008/01/delbert_stapley.pdf

Question about the video: Is it true that black people couldn't go to the temple, or get married in the temple? Anyone?

Date: January 10, 2012 10:21PM

If you don't have the Priesthood, you can not go. Black women could not get married in the temple because their husbands were denied the Priesthood.

Posted by: kimball ( )
Date: January 11, 2012 08:38AM

Read Paternoster's most recent blog post. Black women couldn't go to the temple even if their husband was white.

So much for the curse only being about the priesthood. But, I believe Brigham said that black people could get into celestial kingdom somehow, albeit only as servants to the other folk there.

Posted by: anon for this ( )
Date: January 11, 2012 09:06AM

Is that why Spencer W. Kimball discouraged interracial marriage? He said that 90 percent of temple marriages did not end in divorce. A black wife could not be married in the temple to a white male. Maybe he was worried that the marriage would fail because it did not have temple blessings?

He gave the talk in 1976, before the priesthood ban was lifted.
http://speeches.byu.edu/reader/reader.php?id=6136

"We are grateful that this one survey reveals that about 90 percent of the temple marriages hold fast. Because of this, we recommend that people marry those who are of the same racial background generally, and of somewhat the same economic and social and educational background (some of those are not an absolute necessity, but preferred), and above all, the same religious background, without question."

Posted by: helemon ( )
Date: January 10, 2012 10:30PM

Don't you love all the veiled threats in there! Gag! Makes you wonder if those were really "accidents."

Posted by: alex71ut ( )
Date: January 11, 2012 08:27AM

Hey Munch,

Don't forget that in the temple that the patrons (even the Sisters) wear the robes of the holy priesthood. Thus before 1978 the Black sisters weren't allowed to enter the temple. Can you imagine how Brigham Young would feel today to see a daughter of Cain wearing the holy robes of the priesthood? He'd be after Monson fast and excommunicated promptly by the Q12 for conduct unbecoming a church member. However in 1978 God decided to partially give up racism. Of course the most correct book on earth as God's holy prophet Benson reiterated over and over again is still a racism promoting book. If people were wicked then dark skin is a curse put on them. If they repent then the scales of darkness fall and they become white. White is associated with delightsomeness and wholesomeness. Dark skin is associated with laziness, filthiness, and loathsomeness. That's why in order for me to ever get my testimony back in Mormonism I have to gain a testimony that God is still a racist and that these doctrines of racism in the Book of Mormon are true and part of this glorious most correct book on Earth. Thus in the meantime as my TBM relatives would say "he's lost his way". Maybe they're right. Maybe God is a flaming racist. But I'm not betting my life on it anymore ;)

Posted by: 3X ( )
Date: January 11, 2012 05:36PM

Were blacks denied the blessings of tithing as well, or did the church in its humanity allow them that one concession?

Date: January 11, 2012 08:59AM

He says that the ban was in place since the church was founded.

He should have clarified that the ban was in place since the UTAH church wasfounded...Brigham took away what Joseph had given.

Posted by: upsidedown ( )
Date: January 10, 2012 10:28AM

Racist and Bigot and Hate should all be words that the world thinks of when they think of the MOrmon Church.

I hope this election coverage in the media brings that all into focus.

Posted by: PtLoma ( )
Date: January 10, 2012 11:52AM

I knew that Stanford was the first school to enact a school-wide boycott against BYU athletics in the late 1960s, but I didn't know about the earlier protests, such as fifteen members of the Univ of Wyoming football team who were booted for protesting against LDS racial policies. Given that Wyoming has a sizable LDS population, there must have been quite a bit of political pressure against saying anything bad about BYU (from the Legislature, the alumni, etc.), so I'd say those fifteen guys were pretty brave. And they certainly stood up for their principles.

Here's more:

http://uwacadweb.uwyo.edu/robertshistory/fired_by_conscience.htm

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/10/2012 11:54AM by PtLoma.

Posted by: Kentish ( )
Date: January 10, 2012 06:50PM

Saw Huntsman's wife interviewed on TV today and the interviewer mentioned that she had been reared as an Episcopalian but had converted to Mormonism on marrying her husband. With that as a basis the interviewer asked her how important a role her faith played in her life. Mrs. Huntsman proceeded to ignore the question explaining that their two sons had gone to Catholic schools and that one was married in the National Cathedral but they were a very spiritual family. Huntsman has not kept his Mormon background a secret but I think Mrs. Huntsman's answer gives a clear insight into just where they are in relation to Mormonism.

Posted by: PtLoma ( )
Date: January 10, 2012 07:15PM

Ann Romney's family were nominal Episcopalians. She likewise converted to marry Mitt.

Posted by: ExmoDad ( )
Date: January 10, 2012 09:22PM

It bugs me because they know talking about being Mormon is a liability, so instead, they are trying to play up their non-Mormon-ness! Hilarious!

Posted by: axeldc ( )
Date: January 10, 2012 09:27PM

Huntsman, like many RMs, figured out that the church is bs long ago. He keeps up appearances because you can't afford to offend Mormons in Utah, but otherwise he has little interest in Mormonism.

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: January 11, 2012 02:59PM

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/politics/51804534-90/church-define-faith-huntsman.html.csp

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/700164223/Jon-Huntsman-Jr-stands-by-his-Mormon-religion.html

My view is Huntsman is being "very Mormon" with his "shell game," and he resembles LDS historians who try to offer up a simplistic assessment of say, the church stance on evolution...

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.