Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: notmo ( )
Date: January 11, 2012 08:16PM

just an observation...

notmo

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: January 11, 2012 08:49PM

who were never Mormons.

Very few at American Atheists were Mormon. The most fameous ones were not either.

Posted by: Nevermodoc ( )
Date: January 11, 2012 08:55PM

I am a never Mormon atheist, previously a liberal UCC Protestant, but it was my investigation of Mormonism and many an exmormon poster, as well as others, which helped start me on my path of enlightenment.

Posted by: Rebeckah ( )
Date: January 11, 2012 10:11PM

Howdy! I was a born again Christian until I researched Mormonism -- and here I am too. :)

(I love this place...)

Posted by: asparagus ( )
Date: January 11, 2012 10:05PM

Mormonism provides a short circuit to atheism. It is so incredibly easy to prove it false. Then, it just seems to follow naturally that you see every other religion as false as well.

Posted by: trufflelily ( )
Date: January 12, 2012 03:11AM

I agree with asparagus. First, Mormon dogma is pretty outlandish and unbelievable when one thinks about it--gold plates, polygamy, seer stones. Then when one considers DNA evidence, errors in book of moron, and the multiple changes and corrections in revelation, scripture and theology, along with all of the other nonsense, it becomes increasingly obvious that if there were a god out there he sure would not have created this mess.

My atheistic world is comfortable and brings me peace. I am free to do, or not do, my own good works.

Posted by: darth jesus ( )
Date: January 13, 2012 06:27PM

@trufflelily - yeah, not to mention that the gods themselves would have "fixed" the mistakes ages ago too.

Posted by: mtnmdwcookiemonster ( )
Date: January 12, 2012 12:50AM

Because we are cool & smart

Posted by: Regan ( )
Date: January 12, 2012 02:19AM

At first as I was having inclings toward atheism I felt guilty. Like Satan was leading me astray for disowning the mormon belief system. I had always been brought up to despise atheists. They were surely living in satanic darkness and were gods fallen. It is so difficult to overcome this programing that we were exposed to from a young age. Once you you see that Mormonism is false all other religions can't hold up to the scrutiny either.

Posted by: Earth Wind and Fire ( )
Date: January 12, 2012 03:23AM

I agree! Tearing the veil of Mormonism to shreds is one of the best decisions I have ever made.

Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: January 12, 2012 06:49AM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/2012 06:49AM by steve benson.

Posted by: axeldc ( )
Date: January 12, 2012 06:56AM

I've noticed that people born and raised in the church become jaded about Christianity and religion in general. Since the only religious training you've had comes from LDS, Inc., and you discover LDS Inc. is a fraud, it stands to reason that all religion is fraudulent.

Converts who have religious apriori religious traditions are more likely to fall back on those traditions when they leave Mormonism. BIC Exmos have nothing to fall back on but their own logic, that is based in Mormon training.

Date: January 12, 2012 07:01AM

In fact, Mormonism does not teach logic.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/2012 07:03AM by steve benson.

Date: January 13, 2012 03:15PM

Mormons think that if Mormonism isn't true then nothing else CAN be true.

Posted by: kolobian ( )
Date: January 13, 2012 03:17PM

It's because of that arrogance that leads them to do such a good job showing how every other religion is false. They just forget to talk about how theirs is false, too..

Posted by: EssexExMo ( )
Date: January 12, 2012 07:09AM

Christians who converted (like myself) were, first of all told how the last 1900 years of christianity has all been a lie..... which is basically true.
protestantism is a lie, catholicism is a lie

when you leave, you find that a lot of the bridges back, have been burned

Date: January 13, 2012 06:32PM

Date: January 13, 2012 06:34PM

so I don't think this claim holds water.

Most exmos I've met do not understand the Christian gospel at all.

Posted by: helamonster ( )
Date: January 13, 2012 06:36PM

Then I have a bridge I'd like to sell you.

Posted by: ronas ( )
Date: January 13, 2012 06:39PM

Um which orthodox Christion theology - you have a lot to pick from?

Date: January 17, 2012 12:39PM

Date: January 17, 2012 01:01PM

It's not complicated?

Ok, when did jesus begin to exist? Did jesus always exist alongside the father? Or did the father create jesus at some arbitrary point?

How about the holy ghost? Did the holy ghost always exist? Or was the holy ghost created at some arbitrary point by the father?

If the father, the son, and the holy ghost ALWAYS existed independent of one another, then they are truly 3 gods since one is not dependent on the other for its existence.

If the father existed alone, and then created the son and holy ghost later on, then they are simply clones and god is a schizophrenic.

If the son always existed alongside the father, there's really no point in calling one a son and one a father since neither came out of the other.

Please clear this up for me. Do you believe in one god or three?

Date: January 17, 2012 01:02PM

Posted by: atheist&happy:-) ( )
Date: January 17, 2012 01:11PM

and it became orthodox by suppression of other cults through violence, and discriminatory laws. Even so, it is only one version of "orthodox" xstianity.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/17/2012 01:12PM by atheist&happy:-).

Date: January 17, 2012 01:13PM

So the Catholic version of Christian Orthodoxy?

The Nicene creed isn't necessarily complex, but it is certainly illogical and self-contradictory. It basically falls back to we have no idea what god is, so we're making up some ethereal mystical thing that completely contradicts the message of god as Jesus presents it in the New Testament.

Catholicism is one of the more ridiculous versions of Christianity, frankly.

1) The history of Catholicism is more rife with non-Christian actions by it's leaders than any other Christian religion on the books. It arguably is the largest contributor to what history now calls the Dark Ages. It's history contains a whole lot of evil.

2) The whole patron saints as gods thing basically throws true Orthodox Christianity out the windows. Catholicism isn't even a monotheistic religion in practice - it's more like a Greek or Roman religion where you pray to the saint of choice to get the miracle you want.

I don't know of any other mainstream Christian religion who takes the Nicene creed at face value. (Just because I don't know of them doesn't mean they don't exist - educate me.)

Posted by: jaredsotherbrother ( )
Date: January 12, 2012 04:07PM

After burning my bars and compasses I fully planned to remain a (non-denominational) Christian, that plan changed to uncaring agnosticism within the year. It actually took me about 20 years to admit to myself that I was an athiest. Probably because so many athiests treat their lack of faith as a religion and I don't give enough of a shit to care either way. Funnily enough, it was that great missionary, Christopher Hitchens who pushed me off the fencetop.

Posted by: jaredsotherbrother ( )
Date: January 12, 2012 04:10PM

@Steve Benson, not strictly true, if you include circular logic as logic.

Date: January 12, 2012 08:38PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/2012 02:36AM by steve benson.

Posted by: freeman ( )
Date: January 13, 2012 06:03PM

Others have said why Mormons become atheists.

I don't think Mormons make particularly "GREAT" atheists, it's just easier to become one.

Date: January 13, 2012 06:28PM

Date: January 17, 2012 12:42PM

which, granted is a stretch since unless you live in the corridor, you would never get this many people who've even HEARD about Mormonism in one place-then I disagree. For one thing, I've never met so many atheists who were so missionary-minded; the atheists are like white-on-rice when it comes to tracking down and attacking anyone on this board who expresses even a hint of being a Christian.

And we can't forget Mr. Benson who practically has made a full time job of composing jaunty subject lines for posts that are largely anti-Christian in content.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 01/17/2012 12:45PM by notmo.

Date: January 17, 2012 01:00PM

"There is nothing new under the sun." to quote Ecclesiastes.

And you come to a board for people recovering from a sect of xstianity to cry persecution? Really?

Date: January 17, 2012 01:26PM

where is the cry-as you put it- of persecution?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/17/2012 01:26PM by notmo.

Date: January 17, 2012 01:29PM

> the atheists are like white-on-rice when it comes to tracking down and
> attacking anyone on this board who expresses even a hint of being a Christian.

Posted by: mo2atheist ( )
Date: January 13, 2012 07:53PM

I was a TBM for 45 years. BIC of course. Served a mission, was in two branch presidencies, two Bishoprics, EQP, years of temple assignments and taught a lot of classes in Sunday School.

After I left the church, I did a profound study of Theology. The old and new testament, the Quran, the Bhagavad Gita and Buddhism. I have a good knowledge of the history of the world and I see very little correlation between the religions of the world and the world history.

Three years after leaving the church, I felt as if I was Agnostic. After learning that around 20,000 children die of starvation every day, I became militant Atheist.

I love the theory of evolution. Darwin was a genius. Richard Dawkins is brilliant.

My life, my marriage, and my relationship with my children is so much better than it was when I was a TBM.

I have been able to shed the fear, guilt and false promises of a brainwashing cult.

I love being Atheist.

Date: January 17, 2012 12:48PM

mo2atheist Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

>
> I have a good
> knowledge of the history of the world and I see
> very little correlation between the religions of
> the world and the world history.

Are you kidding me? I must be misinterpreting the above statement of yours. I don't think you'd find a historian of any ilk-especially a college professor (even a very liberal one) who would agree with this statement.

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: January 13, 2012 07:54PM

Mormonism taught me that all other religions were false.

Then I found out about Mormonism.

Date: January 13, 2012 07:56PM

Yeah that's what I keep thinking about the TBMs around me.

We agree on all of the other religions.

The only difference is you are arrogant to somehow think your religion is the exception.

Date: January 17, 2012 01:28PM

would there be any point in that really?

Date: January 17, 2012 01:32PM

Social networking?

Peer pressure?

Fear of death?

Cultural indoctrination?

Posted by: Ha! ( )
Date: January 13, 2012 09:16PM

The ones on RFM, at least, never seem to have lost their missionary zeal; they've just changed the content of their preaching. These are the atheists that annoy the crap out of every living being they come into contact with.

Posted by: blackholesun ( )
Date: January 13, 2012 09:56PM

What exactly is a 'great' atheist? Someone who really really really doesn't believe in any god(s)? Is there some sort of atheist code of conduct that we can use to judge how good of an atheist someone is? Maybe how many books one has read by Dawkins, Hitchens, and crew?

Date: January 17, 2012 01:30PM

is usually an indication of sincere devotion.

Proselytizing atheists=good atheists of course.

Posted by: AmIDarkNow? ( )
Date: January 17, 2012 01:18PM

"One of the most amazing things about blind faith is the manner in which today, in the
most enlightened and wealthy places on the globe, it can still function so as to insulate
large groups of human beings from the information necessary to grasp their surrounding
reality. The font of this harmful behavior is ignorance, uncertainty, and the fear they
cause. In order to maintain control, many religions (including Mormonism) sustain this
crippling teaching in spite of the negative effect that it has on their individual
members. The perspective of people within the grasp of this type of ideology is so
limited that they cannot see what is happening to them.

Blind faith builds walls of incredible imperviousness. I am proud to do what I can in my
little corner of the world, in my humble way, to chip away at the walls of this type that a
short time ago contained me. Such walls will not come tumbling down. But, when I look
back a few hundred years, I see walls much higher than those that surrounded me.

I have faith that as a result of the little bit I will do, and the little bit that will be done by
many others, the world in which my children will live will be more enlightened, and in
that sense better, than my world. And that several hundred years from now, perhaps
one of my progeny will even read something I wrote, like this, marvel at how far
mankind has progressed, feel gratitude for the little bit I did, and commit themselves to do much more. May you also find all the freedoms that all humans have a right to. Keep your mind open, hold true to what you actually know, and question everything. This is my hope. In this I have faith.” Bob Mcue

A great Atheist?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/17/2012 01:19PM by AmIDarkNow?.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.