Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: imalive ( )
Date: January 12, 2012 12:01PM

at this sweeping pronouncement of TSCC apologetics:

http://ldsmag.com/church/article/9191?ac=1

"Mormonism is a tactile religion as much as a spiritual one. Its history records real gold plates(BBBBBBBUUUUUULLLLLLLLL) that many witnesses hefted and examined (ONLY IN THEIR DELUSIONAL MINDS), deities with tangible bodies of flesh and bone, and angels that would rather reach out and shake our hand than wax mysterious in sermon. The urim and thummim, seer stones, Egyptian mummies, ancient papyri, and other physical artifacts (MY ASS!) rivet the Mormon mind to the reality of it all. Reality is a word that sums up the object of our religious quest."

FACEPALM!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: January 12, 2012 12:15PM

Only mormons will buy this crap.

Posted by: jon1 ( )
Date: January 12, 2012 12:20PM

The sad part is I'm pretty sure the author really thinks he is providing good points, and is proving tscc to be true. What utter nonsense!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/2012 12:24PM by jon1.

Posted by: Chicken'N'Backpacks ( )
Date: January 12, 2012 12:34PM

I hear that Joseph Smith liked to get tactile around the lady folk--they should add that to the list...

Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: January 12, 2012 12:45PM

Reality is a word that sums up the object of our religious quest.

Yes reality is why I had to leave the mormon church and begin a religious quest.

Posted by: Outcast ( )
Date: January 12, 2012 12:48PM

That dude is way over the cliff so proud of believing in a bunch of made up stuff...sad.

Posted by: Outcast ( )
Date: January 12, 2012 12:51PM

Mummies play into this how??

Posted by: imalive ( )
Date: January 12, 2012 12:54PM

Book of Abraham

Posted by: kookoo4kokaubeam ( )
Date: January 12, 2012 12:50PM

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: January 12, 2012 05:04PM

imalive Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> at this sweeping pronouncement of TSCC
> apologetics:
>
> http://ldsmag.com/church/article/9191?ac=1

> deities with tangible bodies of flesh and
> bone, and angels that would rather reach out and
> shake our hand than wax mysterious in sermon.

Stand up in F&T meeting and tell of an angel that appeared to you and that you shook its hand. Then poll the congregation to see how many of them think you are insane. Mormons SAY they believe in this kind of $h1t but in reality (ah, that word again) they don't.

Posted by: ginger ( )
Date: January 12, 2012 05:39PM

Then go on to say, "See guys, you can't bullsh!t a bullsh!tter." ;)

Posted by: Martin Harris ( )
Date: January 12, 2012 05:52PM

I saw those plates with my spiritual eyes and they contain a record of the ancestors of the Native Americans.

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: January 12, 2012 06:00PM

Really?

Show us!!!

Show us the gold plates, the deities with tangible bodies of flesh and bone, and the angels. Let us look at the urim and thummim, explain why the seer stones look like ordinary river rocks, show us what makes the Egyptian mummies special to Mormonism, remind us what the expert translations of the ancient papyri say again, and what exactly ARE the other physical artifacts?

If it's a tactile religion, if it's based in reality then let us touch and see these things. Otherwise, it's just as much an imaginary religion as any of the ones the author is mocking.

Posted by: Don Bagley ( )
Date: January 12, 2012 09:24PM

Mormonism is "arguably the least mystical of religious traditions?" Are you kidding me?

These people pray about car keys and burnt dinners! They have priesthood "powers!" Prophecies and premonitions!

And (drum roll, please) magic underwear. I'm laughing on the outside and crying on the inside. About half of my family is captive to this nonsense.

Posted by: jon1 ( )
Date: January 13, 2012 10:43AM

Don Bagley Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm
> laughing on the outside and crying on the inside.
> About half of my family is captive to this
> nonsense.

I WISH it was jus half of my family...

Posted by: Charley ( )
Date: January 13, 2012 07:24PM

+1.

Posted by: dogzilla ( )
Date: January 13, 2012 12:27PM

You know, when you go to Washington, D.C., if you want to look at the original Constitution document or the Declaration of Independence -- the two documents upon which our country was founded -- you have to stand in line for a long time. They keep those documents in clear, but bulletproof and theftproof lucite boxes, which slide down into the floor each night, protecting them from any possible harm.

One would *think* that, if the mormon story was real, the best argument for credibility would be to treat the alleged golden plates in the same way. Think how many converts one might get from all those investigators trotting through the visitor's center on temple square. If they could just SEE the golden plates for themselves, they would obviously feel the spirit and beg to be dunked.

So why claim they are in deep storage under some mountain in Utah somewhere? Why not bring 'em on out and let people have a look?

(Hint: Because they never existed in the first place. If they did, they wouldn't have been hidden in the mountain all that time. Someone, somewhere, somehow, would have found them, perhaps captured an image, mentioned it in a journal. "Oh, I was prowling around in Brother Brigham's attic, looking for some scrap calico I'd used to make a dress for little Sarah, our 13th child, and I came across this heavy box. I opened it to see what was inside and lo, and behold..." But no. Nothing like that has ever happened.)

Posted by: dressclothes ( )
Date: January 13, 2012 12:53PM

I posed this very question to my mother once. Her response: "But physical proof would eliminate the need for faith!"

That SHOULD HAVE BEEN my first clue (and I'm sure that in a way it was).

Posted by: Rebeckah ( )
Date: January 13, 2012 04:04PM

Posted by: AmIDarkNow? ( )
Date: January 13, 2012 04:14PM

Like Tal Bachman taught us. If one religeous belief torpedoes another then its all BS and certainly not of an intelligent deity.

calling it reality, kills faith. OOOOOOOPPPSSS!

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: January 13, 2012 12:58PM

supernatural, visionary, etc. Nothing new here.
The idea is that God wants you to prove your faith, he is not going to give you everything!

Mormonism follows the same pattern of the need for faith in the supernatural, any other religion. No surprise !
That's why it took off in the beginning, why Joseph Smith Jr used these religious beliefs (right out of Christianity & the Bible in many cases). The people were all ready primed for these kinds of beliefs in anything spiritually based. Works every time!

If you want facts, then most religions are not for you. If faith is what you want, that spiritual witness is important, then factual evidences are not even considered.
What one claimed to see with their "spiritual eye" is, in the mind of the religious faith based believer, even more valuable than anything physical.

Posted by: jaredsotherbrother ( )
Date: January 13, 2012 04:11PM

"Joseph Smith once remarked that facts are stubborn things"

So Brother Joseph plagiarized John Adams as well as all the others?

Posted by: enoughenoch19 ( )
Date: January 13, 2012 05:06PM

WAIT! Didn't they just find another earthlike planet? Once they get a better picture of it from the Hubble, I'm sure it will say "KOLOB" on it in big letters and "God Lives Here," Or maybe it will be more Syfi-ish and say KOBOL on it.............we can keep our fingers crossed.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.