Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: msmom ( )
Date: November 20, 2010 12:45PM

Those of us who have had the opportunity to think about career opportunities have likely been advised to have an "elevator speech" in case we meet someone who might be in a position to advise us about careers or better yet, hire us into something new and exciting (ok, or ANYTHING!).

This is a one or two minute explanation of what our skills are and what we can offer to a potential employer.

I was speaking with a woman who teaches the high school class in our Unitarian Universalist congregation. Class members are working on an elevator speech to explain their religious beliefs quickly and succinctly.

Not that anyone NEEDS a religiously oriented elevator speech, but if you and I were on an elevator in a context where it was appropriate for me to say, "Tell me about your religious beliefs," what would you say?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: axeldc ( )
Date: November 20, 2010 12:55PM

I don't know and neither does anyone else.

Posted by: MJ ( )
Date: November 20, 2010 01:02PM

I would say something like "I'm a God loving Atheist" and let the nosy creep[something to ponder as I leave the elevator.

My religious beliefs are usually not talked about until I know someone well enough that "elevator speeches" are no longer required or appropriate.

Date: November 20, 2010 01:10PM

And when using logic or reason, the general assumption would be that the people making the claim that there is something, be it a tea pot orbiting around Mars, a Pepsi machine on Pluto, or that a God or Gods exists, needs to provide the evidence to show that such a thing actually does exist. Without the verifiable evidence, the assumption is, such things do not exist.

I will put God right next to Santa, a Pepsi machine on Pluto, or the teapot around Mars, until you can show me that they exist, I will assume they do not.

Date: November 20, 2010 01:03PM

I would say something like "I'm a God loving Atheist" and give the nosy creep something to ponder as I leave the elevator.

My religious beliefs are usually not talked about until I know someone well enough that "elevator speeches" are no longer required or appropriate.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/20/2010 01:35PM by MJ.

Posted by: No Mo ( )
Date: November 20, 2010 01:13PM

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: November 20, 2010 01:31PM

"Most religions are an attempt to control people using fear. I believe there is a personal spiritual experience to be accessed. There are many witnesses to the ability of people to live more fully by accessing a spiritual paradigm. That seems to be highly personal exactly that means to an individual.

I consider myself on that path of transition from organizational religion to personal spirituality. I expect to be always learning and growing in my understanding of what the word spirituality means to me."

Anagrammy

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: November 20, 2010 01:42PM

I would make sure that he/she was a TBM, and then I would say"I believe everbody needs something to believe in, so I believe I will have another beer!" LOL

Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: November 20, 2010 01:45PM

I was born and raised Mormon, and that was a good illustration of how wrong a religion can get. I came to the conclusion they are all man made, and do as much (or more) harm than good. I find I live a much more ethical moral life without guidance from a religion.

I don't find the Christian God any more convincing than than Zeus or Thor.

(I'm completely comfortable discussing religion with strangers. There aren't too many Mormons around here, and most people probably agree with my rejection of it, so it's a good way to get some credibility.)

Posted by: Human ( )
Date: November 20, 2010 01:56PM

Typically I reverse such a question, for example:

"Tell me about your religious beliefs,"

I haven't any, in particular anyway. How about you?

I usuallly like to hear others talk rather than talk myself. It's more interesting.

So, how does your speech go?

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: November 20, 2010 02:49PM

I like a lot of ideas - mostly universal ones.

Posted by: BadGirl ( )
Date: November 20, 2010 03:07PM

Posted by: Charley ( )
Date: November 20, 2010 06:11PM

I think Pan the goat god is where it's at and I try to follow his example in all ways.

That ought to shut 'em up.

Posted by: msmom ( )
Date: November 20, 2010 07:30PM

I harbor a vision of saying just the perfect thing that will make a mormon stop and think, but I have no idea what that would be.

There are 2 times when I am called upon for a quick speech in explanation of my beliefs. One is when a mormon, having discovered BYU on my resume, asks me what ward I am in. My short answer is "I'm not LDS." But I usually want them to know more so I add, "I used to be, but I resigned. It was just not for me and my husband and I chose not to raise our children that way." Whatever mormon I am speaking with remains friendly, but never asks more info.

Then there are the people who are not lds who see BYU on the resume and ask, "Why did you go to a mormon school?" Pretty cool that no one seems to think I was ever a mormon. So I give them the same answer. They don't usually ask more, but give me a nod and smile that says, "I hear ya, I couldn't be a mormon either."

Posted by: imaworkinonit ( )
Date: November 20, 2010 09:04PM

I believe we have one lifetime, one chance to do whatever it is we want to do. Live it.

I was going to write some other stuff, but it sounded preachy, so I'm done.

Posted by: forestpal ( )
Date: November 20, 2010 09:17PM

but I escaped and became a Christian. I have no problem believing in God and in Science at the same time."

I had time to carefully choose the words "cult" for the Mormon church, and "escape" in reference to resigning from the Mormon cult.

I also wanted to get the point across that Mormons are NOT christians.

I wanted to let these people know that I believe in MORE than just a religion.

I like what Annagrammy said.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/20/2010 09:18PM by forestpal.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: November 20, 2010 09:44PM

I don't discuss religion with much of anyone. I do somewhat with those really close to me, but not very often. I have always felt my religious beliefs were very personal--even as a mormon. I could never understand testimony bearing or even having to pray in front of others.

Posted by: Helen ( )
Date: November 20, 2010 10:22PM

I live in the present moment. There is no central headquarters, no marketing budget, no three-year plan and no PR firm to promote it.

:-)

Posted by: Athena ( )
Date: November 21, 2010 12:32AM

"I'm not a churchgoer, but I'm familiar with many religions and I believe that they all have some worthwhile lessons for mankind. I believe in a higher power and I try to be a good person."

(In other words: raised Christian, briefly Mormon, closet Pagan.)

Posted by: resipsaloquitur ( )
Date: November 21, 2010 12:38AM

"I'll tell you about my religious beliefs after you explain your masturbatory habits."

Posted by: stationarytraveler ( )
Date: November 21, 2010 12:40AM

I AM GOD!!!!

ST

Posted by: jafnhar ( )
Date: November 21, 2010 12:43AM

If god has something to tell me, he should know where to find me.

Posted by: LehiExMo ( )
Date: November 21, 2010 01:01AM

I talk fast, so, um, read fast...

The concern with religion isn't that it exists or that people devote their lives to its various practices. The concern is that such beliefs demand they be inflicted on others who suffer needlessly because of it. Least of whom are children, who do not yet posses the capacity to refute the claims made and expose them as the emotional arguments devoid of any rational foundation that they are. If you want to follow your savior's best advice (or was it Pink Floyd?): leave those kids alone! {doors of elevator open, step out}

Posted by: motherwhoknows ( )
Date: November 21, 2010 03:48AM

I would embarrass my dates:

"Stop that! Keep your hands to yourself!"

"You aren't going to cry again, are you? That get's so old."

"Only Fifty dollars? That would get you about 5 minutes."

My cousin was a very beautiful head-turner, and when we would run into guys on campus, she and I would be locked into a serious, heated discussion about the Urim and Thumim vs the seer stone, or if the City of Enoch is near Kolob, or something really ridiculous and out there, and they would usually leave us alone.

Posted by: Peter ( )
Date: November 21, 2010 04:01AM

I was raised in a very religious family, but now I am not very religious.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.