Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: January 14, 2012 11:19AM

Haven't had much luck in doing so, but I am really understanding about why people do things that seem weird to outsiders.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/14/2012 11:20AM by forbiddencokedrinker.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: jpt ( )
Date: January 14, 2012 11:37AM

Yes, the unintended benefit is certainly worth it. Mormonism becomes "just another man-made religion" when one gets a more open/world/historical view of humanity's belief systems.

This is usually my approach to mormons who try to get me to come back -- "why is your religion better than all the others?," as opposed to using any of the plethora of anti-mormon stuff. Mormons usually know nothing about such things.

Comparative world religions, mythology, anthropology... good stuff.

Posted by: Boomer ( )
Date: January 14, 2012 02:43PM

If you actually do find a group weirder than Mormons, please let us know. I hear New Guinea has some primitive tribes with strange ideas. Also some of the Amazon tribes.

Good luck in your search!

Posted by: jaredsotherbrother ( )
Date: January 14, 2012 03:32PM

The only extant religious group I've found weirder than LDS is FLDS.

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: January 14, 2012 04:02PM

I have always wanted to do a monument wall with all religions posted on it with a brief synopsis of their beliefs and their legacies of damage carved in granite. It would be a very long wall.

Starting with earliest cave men worshipping the sun,followed by every religion thereafter---from every great civilization, the Greeks, the Romans, the Egyptians,the Aztecs and on and on right down to present day evangelicals and southern baptists, with the mormons right at the end, taking their rightful place as....

....just one more.

Just as ridiculous, just as lacking in credibility, and a blank space on the wall after them ready for the next one to be carved in---or, in a perfect world, left blank forever.

The Wall of Perspective.

Posted by: forestpal ( )
Date: January 14, 2012 04:17PM

It is quite an adjustment to go from being proud of our polygamous Mormon pioneer heritage, to being bitterly ASHAMED of it.

Having it carved into a granite wall would be effective. I keep slipping back into the old subjugated female Mormon role: "Hmmmm. This man seems to have the answers, has nice hair, a solid, square jaw, he's spiritual--maybe I should vote for him. Hey! Wake up! He's an idiot!"

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.