Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Socrates2 ( )
Date: January 15, 2012 12:22AM

that a black person in the early 60's needed to stand up to racism but, my god, I could have written some of the lines in that movie. I totally get the fear of standing up to family, friends, co-workers. I get the uncertainty. I get the worry for your kids, your job, your acceptance at work and in the community. I get what fear does to the soul and the pride of facing those fears and standing up for what's right.

At the end of the day there is no way of getting around it. It takes courage. I get it.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Glo ( )
Date: January 15, 2012 12:49PM

It is an interesting movie about a turbulent time in our nation's history.

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: January 15, 2012 12:50PM

Good post. For a country that started out with the phrase, "All men are created equal", we have sure made a lot of people fight for their rights.

I think in most peoples minds, it was really "all white men are created equal." Blacks and women needed to be kept in their place and indians, well we all know the disgusting phase about the only good indian being a.....can't say it, makes me cry.

And while they fought for the same rights as the rest, they were made by many to look like greedy, ungrateful, troublemakers who were a threat to society.

The Mormons and christian right still do this. They have put down the guns and nooses and there are no separate drinking fountains, but with prop 8 we see the same smug entitlement to rights on their part has only become a wolf in sheep's clothing, just their "right to their opinion". Not every bigot has a white cone hat, some wear baker's hats and green aprons. Same thing.

And the same underlying bigotry is there for those who leave the church. No problem splitting a family, no problem keeping you out of your children's wedding, no problem ostracizing you for masturbation, healthy sex, homosexuality, failure to pay a full tithe or, get this, having a cup of tea.

If you don't align yourself with the big old white 15, you might just find that now you are now the "greedy ungrateful trouble maker who is a threat."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/15/2012 12:54PM by blueorchid.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.