Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: serena ( )
Date: January 15, 2012 02:21PM

The Mormon organization is, at its core, a bullying, patriarchal organization.

The whole quote, in context, from the book "Restoring the Goddess" by Barbara G. Walker, p. 169.

"It has been commonly claimed in patriarchal societies that women who live in abject obedience to men will be treated well, both in this life and in the next, whereas women of rebellious spirit will be severely punished. In practice, of course, nothing works quite that way. Abject obedience to a bully only escalates the bullying, as many battered wives have learned to their sorrow. During the medieval period when European women were almost completely enslaved, the all-male church's bullying of them escalated to amazing heights of cruelty..."

The ongoing argument on this site of whether to give in politely to bullies vs. fighting back, has been bothering me, because I see the same kind of issues all over with hard-core fundamentalist xtians and non-believers. To hell with them, I'm not quietly going to let them assume by what's seen as tacet consent, that I agree with them. I don't, and I'm going to say so.

When they say outrageous, offensive things, ignoring it gives them tacit permission to continue, that they're right. It doesn't work. If your intent is to encourage the kind of behavior you don't like, or feel threatened by, then please, go ahead and let them continue to walk on you. When we let such BS continue unopposed, we have no one to blame but ourselves.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: theGleep ( )
Date: January 16, 2012 02:36PM

I would say this is a "law" (maybe more a "rule of thumb"?) that applies to international politics every bit as well as to families or organizations.

Options: ReplyQuote
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.