Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: allicat ( )
Date: January 15, 2012 09:41PM

I saw a topic on atheism after leaving the TSCC, but is anyone else still religious? I was raised baptist and have found myself kind of back into that again, but I am open to going to a Unitarian church sometime in the future.

I guess they didn't sour me on religion? I feel like perhaps that a minority of exmos are still religious.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Calypso ( )
Date: January 15, 2012 09:45PM

Not religious, but definitely spiritual:) I really love the Buddhist beliefs...I kinda take what I like from several different groups/religions and just apply the good stuff to my life

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/15/2012 09:45PM by ajhart.

Posted by: honestone ( )
Date: January 15, 2012 09:55PM

I would think that if you had a good foundation in your first faith (If your parents took you to a church) you would be inclined to go back once you left the Mormons- that is if you have no real beefs about it. I doubt most converts to Mormonism really disliked their Protestant upbringing if they were involved in it a lot and did things with their youth grp. etc.

I think most leave when they get to the age of graduation, form some new friendships and fall in love. Some convert out of a sad experience in their life and the Mormons swoon in to make it all better. For those of us who lost our child to a Mormon, who they married, it is very perplexing since they never complained about going to their church. It took Mormons 7 yrs. to convert my daughter but it did happen. She struggled with the decision I am sure. My hope is she will return to her senses one day soon.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/16/2012 02:33AM by honestone.

Posted by: AlmostFell ( )
Date: January 15, 2012 10:47PM

I was unhappy with my church (Baptist) and I wanted to see what kind of belief system my friend had gotten himself into because I had heard a lot of bad stuff about Mormonism. I wasn't unhappy with my beliefs. The Mormons really put on a good show for investigators and I considered converting. I didn't because arbitrary rules tend to make me rebellious and because I was getting nothing out of any of the church services I went to. Because the ward I visited met at noon, I could still attend a Baptist church in the morning and I could see that it was a much better fit for me. I ultimately chose a different Baptist church to attend. Like I said, I wasnt' unhappy with my beliefs, just with the church I attended.

Posted by: allicat ( )
Date: January 15, 2012 11:01PM

Thats basically been my situation. I went to a new church today and liked it a lot

Posted by: kentish ( )
Date: January 15, 2012 10:48PM

I think there are plenty of people here who have retained a religious belief or,if they were converts to Mormonism, have returned to their former faith. In my own case, I found an orthodox Christian faith while I was Mormon and it was that which precipitated my exit from Mormonism. A reading of the board over time will show you who those people are and generally I think you will find them less "evangelical" than those who from various positions attack the faith position.

Posted by: Laura ( )
Date: January 15, 2012 11:23PM

Was yanked out of the Methodist church as a grade schooler. I remember crying when my mom said we were going to a different church. Methodist SS was fun, normal and I had lots of friends and neighbor kids there. You know, I never DID like any of the Mormon kids except for one convert kid who felt like I did. After I resigned, I returned to my Protestant roots. My hubby was Presbyterian, so it was a nice fit for me.

Posted by: polymath ( )
Date: January 15, 2012 11:36PM

I was raised in the church, and I classify myself as "spiritual not religious" - I too take some beliefs from Buddhism.

I'm definitely not Christian in the sense that I believe that Christ was my savior.

I'd like to attend a church, but haven't yet quite figured out how to feel comfortable as I've never attended any other type of worship service than Mormon. I've tried a couple of times, but it just feels really weird to me and sometimes I feel like I integrated the teaching that "all other religions are evil" too well.

Posted by: matilda ( )
Date: January 16, 2012 01:40AM

I licked my wounds for a year then felt like I needed a community. When you leave the church after decades and find yourself friendless you have to plan. Sporting no good, clubs and pubs no good so I went back to good works and hymn singing. Boring maybe but I am happy back in the Methodist church in which I was raised. It is known as Uniting and has the best theology going. If had enough time would become a minister but too old now. Even after confronting the Jesus myths I still believe in christology as it is a good way to live and generally gives peace.

Posted by: forestpal ( )
Date: January 16, 2012 03:27AM

I was BIC, and raised "in the field" in a ward and stake that had the reputation of being "liberal." My mother read us Bible stories, growing up, and I was naturally drawn to Christianity. I did not like the shock of moving to Utah, and discovering a very different, superstitious, cultish Mormon church. Some of the Joseph Smith/D&C teachings I felt were actually anti-Christian. There was no love. My children were abused. We left first, then found out on RFM that everything was a hoax.

Because of our experiences, we realized that the Mormon church had nothing to do with God or Christ. It was just a bunch of narcissistic, power-hungry, money grabbing old men. We decided to not let these buffoons ruin our faith. We still go to the Lutheran church, and sometimes to the Methodist, and the boys became Eagle Scouts in a troop that was Lutheran, Methodist, Presbyterian, and non-denominational. I need Christ in my life.

Posted by: blackholesun ( )
Date: January 16, 2012 10:14AM

I was born and raised in the church and spent 30+ years as a member. I am still religious. I'm not going to let the cult of a 19th century conman sour me on all religion.

Posted by: blindmag ( )
Date: January 16, 2012 10:30AM

I was rased in the field. Some of my first memories were of people saying odd things like someone calling me a changling child or farie child. I was drawn to the older relegions when Mormonism was stripped away.

Posted by: angelina5 ( )
Date: January 16, 2012 10:39AM

I am looking into the Unitarian Church as it welcomes diverse beliefs and promotes a free and responsible search for truth and meaning.

Posted by: blackholesun ( )
Date: January 16, 2012 10:54AM

Its interesting to me how some exmormons are drawn towards religions that are very different from the LDS church, like the Unitarian church, while others are drawn to very dogmatic and organized churches, like the Catholic church, while still others move towards the loosely organized yet conservative religion that one finds in many Evangelical churches.

Posted by: tiptoes ( )
Date: January 16, 2012 12:33PM

It is a work in progress for me. I joined the Methodist church after disaffecting from Mormonism. I have experienced a ton of negativity from day one with religion. I will never abandon who I think JC was (world perceived by tiptoes). When I left th church a little over a year ago, I attended both Catholic and Methodist church each Sunday for a while, partly because I wanted the Mormon church to realize people leave for doctrinal reasons not the standard: I wanted to sin, my trials were too heavy or broke me, or that I lost the spirit. I am still happy with my choice to attend and be a part of the Methodist church. But I have been on a fast track of learning the origins of Christianity and the bible...which in some aspects lead me further away. Most people who know me, know my love of people supersedes any belief. If I had to give it a label ( which I am very anti-label but realize it is a part of language and how the brain categorizes the information it perceives): I am a hopeful human being who attends a Christian church (and loves it), who loves Buddhism with its practical insight on how humans behave, who leans slightly to agnosticism. BUT no labels to me are the best.

The world according to Tiptoes: Labels prevent. The sad thing is, I love language and I have become cynical towards it. For a forty something, I am having to do a lot of rewiring.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.