Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: tensolator ( )
Date: January 15, 2012 09:58PM

Some of you may remember the gem "Worthy Music Worthy Thoughts" by he who is never happy, B.K. Packer. I remember it being in book/pamphlet form. Of course it mentioned every band I ever listened to in high school, and honestly, still do.

I remember he had a particular issue with The Who. I about died a couple of years ago, while watching a BYU basketball game, when someone from the film department did vignettes on each player. The bumper music for each biopic was "Who Are You?" by...The Who.

Apparently this talented film student hand't read that most important work by B.K.P.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: January 15, 2012 10:28PM

Don't you know unworthy music becomes worthy after about ten years? It's kind of like a newspaper. If you handle a newspaper in the morning, your hands are going to get all ink stained. However, you touch that same newspaper at night, and they are OK. Just takes a while for the dirty spirits in the song to dry out.

In case anyone was wondering, that was sarcasm.

Posted by: Don Bagley ( )
Date: January 15, 2012 10:30PM

Oh Boyd! A stiff like Packer has opinions on contemporary music? Might as well ask a blind man about his favorite color.

Posted by: Yeah right! ( )
Date: June 22, 2012 12:12PM

Tensolator- come on dude! In neither the talk nor pamphlet, did Elder Packer mention any bands by name. You saying that it did can only lead to two conclusions: a) His talk struck a cord with you and you were taught by a higher power, or b) you are a lier. Either one ought to cause you pause. Good luck!

Posted by: xyz ( )
Date: June 22, 2012 12:23PM

Well that little General Conference Gem came along too late for me.
http://www.lds.org/ldsorg/v/index.jsp?vgnextoid=2354fccf2b7db010VgnVCM1000004d82620aRCRD&locale=0&sourceId=42b4d2b9ae76b010VgnVCM1000004d82620a____&hideNav=1

You should have seen my mother go through the roof when I brouught home The Doors' Riders on the Storm...my god, she sounded just like an angry Bette Davis: "The NERF! We RAISE him in our beLIEFFs and he goes and DEFIES the Gos! Pel!"

Posted by: flyboy21 ( )
Date: June 22, 2012 12:35PM

It's when I read garbage like this that I question how I EVER could want to be associated with these bunch of weirdos.

Posted by: jaredsotherbrother ( )
Date: June 22, 2012 03:54PM

I remember this, and I remember laughing at it. The only thing that changed in my life as a result of this idiocy, is that I had to hide my AC/DC and Van Halen albums from the parents. They seemed ok with Rush and Jethro Tull album covers.

Posted by: The Oncoming Storm - bc ( )
Date: June 22, 2012 04:16PM

I feel that Nine Inch Nails, Closer is an excellent treatise on coming closer to God.

Posted by: The Oncoming Storm - bc ( )
Date: June 22, 2012 04:18PM

I remember Michael Ballam speaking at education week about how pop music is of the devil. He then used the music from Les Miserables as a counter example of great music. Then I listened to the song "lovely ladies" shortly thereafter..,

Posted by: flyboy21 ( )
Date: June 22, 2012 05:16PM

Hahaha I met him when I lived in Logan. Then I got to the temple and... SURPRISE!

Posted by: fidget ( )
Date: June 22, 2012 04:18PM

+1

Posted by: jezebel2mishies ( )
Date: June 22, 2012 05:20PM

+1000

Posted by: rationalguy ( )
Date: June 22, 2012 04:16PM

The fact that TSCC always felt the need to tell me what to read and what music to listen to has always been something I strongly reacted against internally.

I never took their prohibitions seriously. I came of age in the 60's. The anti-authoritarianism of that time may have rubbed off on me.

I'm 61 years old and enjoy listening to all kinds of music, depending on my mood. Last night I listened to my rap/hip-hop playlist, which is small. "Gin and Juice" by Snoop, and
"99 Problems" by Jay-Z. Later it was "Black Water" by the Doobie Brothers, some Chicago, then some Rodney Carrington and some stand-up from Mitch Hedberg, Louis CK and Bill Burr. And yes, I occasionally even enjoy some LDS hymns, if not for the message, at least for the spirit. "Strength of the Hills" comes to mind.

Screw anybody who wants to limit my freedom of choice. I'm a free agent and Free thinker.

TSCC has always been an authoritarian system of mind control that I react strongly against. I tried to incorporate it into my life at the recommendation of others and to please loved ones. It just didn't work for me.

Posted by: sillysally ( )
Date: June 22, 2012 05:00PM

This is the best Boyd Talk EVER! Why? Because in this talk, Boyd finally admits to the church's use of brainwashing and mind control ... Here's the quote: (see sentence at the end in capital letters)

“We may not, under our duty, provide or tolerate an unwholesome amusement on the theory that if we do not provide it the youth will go elsewhere to get it. We could hardly set up a roulette table in the Church amusement hall for gambling purposes, with the excuse that if we do not provide it the youth would go to a gambling hall to gamble. We can never really hold our youth thus. OUR TASK IS TO HELP THE HOME TO PLANT BETTER STANDARDS IN THE MINDS OF THE YOUTH."

You see that? Wow, PLANT in the MINDS. I don't care whether this PLANTING is for good or bad reasons ...the fact is that he is willing to do whatever is necessary to control human beings and remove from them their freewill. I don't believe in God, but if I did, then I'd hope that Bodyd burns in hell.

Okay, back to a happy day and a happy life!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.