Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: cricket ( )
Date: January 16, 2012 10:01AM

Harris nails Romney on spiritual flip floppiness.

http://www.samharris.org/blog/item/your-god-is-my-god

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: angsty ( )
Date: January 16, 2012 10:10AM

and it hits hard-- really hard.

Unfortunately, some people will read that and not understand what the issue is.

Posted by: Suckafoo ( )
Date: January 16, 2012 10:21AM

Free to make the "right" choice. That is an interesting way to describe "free agency". He is a master with play on words. No doubt about that.

Posted by: OnceMore ( )
Date: January 16, 2012 11:36AM

"Free to make the right choice" is giving the mormons too much credit. It's more like, "We will pretend that you are free to make your own choices while we pressure you relentlessly to make mormon choices, and while we tirelessly work to change the laws of this land to favor mormon choices."

I like this paragraph in Sam Harris's essay:

"On abortion—some say I have changed my views. It is true that I once described myself as “pro-choice.” But again, ask yourselves, what did I mean? I meant that every woman should be free to make the right choice. What is the right choice? To have as many children as God bestows. I once visited the great nation of Nigeria and a met woman who was blessed to have had 24 children—fully two-thirds of which survived beyond the age of five. The power of God is beyond our understanding. And this woman’s faith was a sight to behold."

Posted by: tiptoes ( )
Date: January 16, 2012 12:54PM

Went to dinner last week with some old college buddies (both nevermo). One of them was my roommate after college for a year, while I was TBM. She said she could not vote for a president who thought she would not make it to heaven because she will never be a Mormon. The only thing I find interesting about elections (do not get politics or economics) is the reasons why people do not vote for certain people. The reasons are vast and many. I have to confess that some of my reasoning in the past has been laughable.

Posted by: OnceMore ( )
Date: January 16, 2012 12:56PM

Sam Harris for President.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.