Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: angelina5 ( )
Date: January 16, 2012 11:46AM

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: January 16, 2012 11:50AM

Congregations don't all share the same ideas about Jesus or any other religious figure.

Posted by: janebond462 ( )
Date: January 16, 2012 11:54AM

There is a group called Biblical Unitarians that believe Jesus is the Son of God. However, they don't believe that Jesus is God in the same sense as those folks who believe in the Trinity.

Most Unitarians believe Jesus was a great man & a prophet but not divine nor the son of God.

Posted by: blackholesun ( )
Date: January 16, 2012 12:01PM

If you believe that Jesus is the son of god in the sense that most christians do then the Unitarian church may not be the best fit. But I think you would be welcomed there regardless of what you believe.

Posted by: blackholesun ( )
Date: January 16, 2012 12:04PM

You could also check out the Episcopal church which can be pretty liberal in its views.

Date: January 16, 2012 12:13PM

Thank you! I believe that Jesus was the Son of God but I never want any religion or men to tell me how to live my beliefs. I would like to find a place that is pretty liberals and that just seeks to apply the basic principles taught by Christ maybe? I am still not 100% sure of what I want.

Date: January 16, 2012 12:22PM

Look in the Yellow Pages or on line and make a list of churches in your area which you could attend each Sunday. After a year or so you'll know more than enough to select the best fit for you.

Prsbyterian, Methodist, Congregational and some "Community Christian" Churches might be acceptable.

Church of God, Assembly of God, Nazarine churches are very dogmatic and controlling.

Date: January 16, 2012 12:24PM

Thank you. What do you think of the United Church of Christ? It seems to be the simple religious meeting place I might be looking for?

Date: January 16, 2012 12:29PM

Date: January 16, 2012 12:44PM

The Methodist might seems too rigid for me at this time. They seem to have rules and commandments. I want to get away from that religious dogma.

Posted by: serena ( )
Date: January 16, 2012 12:27PM

Of course no one will interview the members or hold their feet to the fire, but they are one of the few denominations that allow openly gay priests/ministers to serve. A good friend from my childhood is married to an Episcopal Dean - both women, btw.

Date: January 16, 2012 12:54PM

I did virtual church-shopping before I visited a church. I didn't want to spend an enormous amt of time visiting churches so I used Google & Yahoo local to find churches in a reasonable driving distance. Most churches, even small ones, have a website that will have their statement of beliefs. I was able to eliminate some churches I'd originally thought were good choices because their doctrine/views weren't in line with mine.

When I found one that I agreed with, I'd visit to see if the atmosphere, programs and people were a good fit for DD & me.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/16/2012 12:55PM by janebond462.

Date: January 16, 2012 12:59PM

Can I ask you which church do you attend now?

Date: January 16, 2012 01:11PM

I'm a never-mo. I just find Mormonism fascinating and reading this site for 4 years has been quite an eye-opener! I attend a non-denominational Bible church. Non-denominational churches run the gamut from very strict fundamentalist to "Church of Believe Whatever the H*** You Want".

In my church tour, DD & I attended a church that I call the Drive-Thru Jesus church. A sermon was more like Oprah with some bible verses thrown in. Tasty like a Big Mac but ultimately unfulfilling. The thing that put me over the edge was when the praise band (knotheadusc knows of my deep and abiding "love" for them!) played Under Pressure by Queen/David Bowie. I love the song but not in church!

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: January 16, 2012 01:02PM

I'd suggest you attend a large variety of churches and take it one more step and talk with a minister/pastor about their specific beliefs. Get well informed before spending a lot of time in something you may not like, after all.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.