Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: allicat ( )
Date: January 16, 2012 07:57PM

So I have been chatting with a 17 year old TBM who posted on my blog awhile back and is trying to "save" me from officially leaving the church. I expressed to her some of my concerns, besides crazy doctrinal stuff, was that women are treated as second class citizens in the church. Specifically, it bothers me that education and independence are frowned upon so much, and that women in the priesthood is disallowed.

She told me that her views are that women are just "different" from men and are incapable of handling the stress of the priesthood, despite their level of intelligence or knowledge of doctrine. She said that she didn't plan on going to college and instead was going to jump right into YSA. She also told me that she feels that she must have a child "within two years or less" or be seen as unfit as a woman. I told her I thought she should value her worth a little more than as a baby oven, but she disagreed.

It makes me sad that young women are raised basically to believe they're an incubator and housekeeper. I wonder what the statistic of TBM women who graduate college actually use their degree.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: fallenangela ( )
Date: January 16, 2012 08:27PM

I'm not sure what's worse: the depressing POV this girl has been taught - "...women are just 'different' from men and are incapable of handling the stress of the priesthood, despite their level of intelligence or knowledge of doctrine."

Or...

the patronizing explanation I remember being given: Women are inherently more spiritual and so don't need an additional motivator (the priesthood) like men do.

So, what? Men are spiritually weak yet given the authority over the home? What kind of sense is that? Oh, right. None.

Posted by: Regulargal ( )
Date: January 16, 2012 08:33PM

Where can I read more on your blog allicat. It sounds interesting.

Date: January 16, 2012 08:38PM

mormonmusings.tumblr.com It started out very pro mormon, and has taken a dramatic turn recently lol

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: January 16, 2012 08:38PM

I can't believe that parents aren't encouraging their daughters to get an education...
I know i did.

Date: January 16, 2012 08:40PM

My parents, who are nevermos, were insistent that I went to college and got a job. I've been working in retail since I was 18 (now 23) and gained a lot of independence..It makes me sad to think she will never experience that/has been trained not to think for herself.

Posted by: Just browsing ( )
Date: January 16, 2012 10:06PM

Bumper sticker humour

""WOMEN WHO THINK --SCARE MEN WHO DON'T""

jb

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.