Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: belperboy ( )
Date: January 16, 2012 08:00PM

Does anyone have any good suggestions on what to do with my Mormon book collection?

I have it all boxed up right now, no real major monetary value in any of it. I could sell it or give it away but I don't really want to be responsible for adding to the amount of 'faith promoting' Mormon garbage out there.
All I can think to do is trash it.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: allicat ( )
Date: January 16, 2012 08:03PM

Find a book recycling program in your area. They take the books and deconstruct them for paper recycling. You could also cut them up and recycle just the inner paper and throw out the covers. Much better than just trashing them :)

Posted by: checker of minor facts ( )
Date: January 16, 2012 08:03PM

Is there a paper recycler in your area?

Date: January 16, 2012 08:07PM

checker of minor facts Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Is there a paper recycler in your area?

Um...not that I know of...but I will definitely check into it. Good idea!

Posted by: AmIDarkNow? ( )
Date: January 16, 2012 08:09PM

Same some for proof. If you have the july or august 1993 ensign With Nelson talking about "A Treasured Testament" (looking at a rock in a hat) then I want it!

Doctrines of Salvation, JOD stuff. There are folks out there and maybe here that may want some of that history before they 1984 all of it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/16/2012 08:09PM by AmIDarkNow?.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: January 16, 2012 08:11PM

Sell them to a used book store. If you're in UT there are several that will buy used LDS books. First Editions can be quite valuable.

Or: give them to a Ward/Stake/Institute of Religion for their library.

OR: Sell them on ebay or Craigs list.

They may not have value to you, but they will to someone else.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: January 16, 2012 08:15PM

ask Sandra Tanner if she needs them...

Date: January 16, 2012 08:18PM

guynoirprivateeye Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ask Sandra Tanner if she needs them...

Lol...I'm also going to check once again and make sure they don't have any long lost poetry or letters authored by Martin Harris hidden in them.

Posted by: imgivingup ( )
Date: January 16, 2012 08:25PM

Make sure to check ebay and biblio.com to see if some of your titles have any monetary vaule. You might get some $$$.

After that, I think a bonfire is in order, complete with Pagan dances and fire jumping.

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: January 16, 2012 08:34PM

I gave all of mine to the church library (except for 1st editions) and wrote it off on my taxes as a donation.

Posted by: enoughenoch19 ( )
Date: January 17, 2012 01:57AM

Sell it on Ebay.....get some of your tithing money back.

Posted by: brian ( )
Date: January 17, 2012 03:35AM

The ones that really pissed me off, I threw in the trash. The others, I gave to members.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: January 17, 2012 05:24AM

Are they old and valuable? Sell them.

Do they have historical interest? Sometimes the teaching manuals are highly interesting after a few years after the church policies have changed.

Are they junk and drivel that might infect some unlikely garbage man who finds them in the trash or a vulnerable child who picks one up? Burn or mutilate them.

I seems counter productive to give them back to help grow the cult.

Posted by: lefthandedgoat ( )
Date: January 17, 2012 10:13AM

We have as an extension of our Amazon account a "book store" where we sell some of our old books and things and our old Mormon books have been some of our best sellers. Everything Mormon is far game including old institute manuals,Preach My Gospel (Missionary training guide), etc.

It was very tempting to just throw everything in the garbage so no one else would ever be subjected to that stuff again but some cash coming through the door isn't a bad idea either.

Posted by: RPackham ( )
Date: January 17, 2012 11:26AM

Many of us who write or maintain websites on Mormonism have a use for Mormon books.

Over the years, several people have been willing to let me have their libraries, and it has been invaluable.

Please, before you dump them or give them to members, consider offering them to me or some other exmormon researchers. I would be willing to pay a reasonable price for them and of course shipping.

Contact me privately and let me know what you have: packham AT teleport dot com

Posted by: beansandbrews ( )
Date: January 17, 2012 11:32AM

You can look them up on Amazon., Most books don't sell for much, but for some reason some of the church books do. I sold some mo-tab cd's that were a neighbor gift a few years back.

Sure wish I could smuggle my folks church collection out and sell. Hand them the money.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: January 17, 2012 02:33PM

I finally sent a bunch of B of M's, bibles and other religious publications to the landfill...no regrets...

Posted by: ronas ( )
Date: January 17, 2012 02:34PM

Send them to DI to sit on their shelves for all eternity.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.