Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: intellectualfeminist ( )
Date: January 17, 2012 03:42PM

I can't post on your original thread because it's closed. I know you were upset because you took the quiz and are still 100% Mormon. But to quote a popular campaign: IT GETS BETTER.

I first took that quiz when I was disaffected and on my way out. Even then, Mormonism wasn't at the top of my belief matches, but it was fairly high up there. Mainstream liberal Protestant was my highest match at the time, if I remember correctly.
But time went on, and something happened. I began to find my own way, my own beliefs, my own truths. In short......I began to find myself. And as I did, taking the same quiz again many months later revealed some rather different results. I think over the past few years I've taken the quiz maybe three times, once seriously, and twice just to see how things had changed.
I've gone from being a "Mainstream Liberal Protestant" to being a Liberal Quaker at the top, along with Unitarian, Natural/new-agy (I've always been a nature girl!), liberal Protestant (again) and something else a bit farther down that was kind of unexpected, Reform Jewish, or some eastern philosophy......can't recall off the top of my head anymore.
The one religion I'm still nominally affiliated with, Catholicism, is about smack dab in the middle. Not a great match, but not the worst one either.
What's changed the most are the more rigid, orthodox beliefs that I used to accept as being simply a part of my personal spiritual make-up and belief system. Some of my worst religious match-ups now, at the bottom of the list:
Jehovah's Witness
Mormonism
Scientology
Seventh Day Adventist

I guess what I most wanted to say is, I know it's a terribly confusing, frustrating time. I too left the Mormon church, and I had to 'rebuild' myself like most of us here. It does come, with time and perspective. Take that test in about another year, angelina5, and you might be pleasantly surprised by the results ;)

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: freeman ( )
Date: January 17, 2012 03:44PM

Where is this test?

Posted by: ElGuapo ( )
Date: January 17, 2012 03:57PM

Here: http://www.beliefnet.com/Entertainment/Quizzes/BeliefOMatic.aspx

One hint, you have to supply a real email address if you want to see the complete list at the end. Love the Belief-O-Matic!

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: January 17, 2012 08:36PM

Nothing says it has to be your email address. I supply them contact email from people and orgs that I don't like.

Posted by: freeman ( )
Date: January 17, 2012 04:12PM

1. Nontheist (100%)
2. Theravada Buddhism (100%)
3. Secular Humanism (91%)

Posted by: LCMc ( )
Date: January 17, 2012 04:23PM

1. Secular Humanism (100%)
2. Unitarian Universalism (92%)
3. Liberal Quakers (83%)

Posted by: JamesL ( )
Date: January 17, 2012 08:25PM

The quiz got mine right. Don't know about numbers 2 and 3, but #1 is completely accurate.

1. Neo-Pagan (100%)
2. Unitarian Universalism (73%)
3. Mahayana Buddhism (72%)

Posted by: angelina5 ( )
Date: January 17, 2012 08:44PM

Wow thank you for taking the time to write this!!
The thing is, I believed in God and Christ beofre I joined the Church and I think that I always will so that might have veered the quiz a certain way. Also, as I am learning about buddhism and mediation, I am finding a lot of peace.
I love this quote from buddha: "Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it. Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumored by many. Do not believe in anything simply because it is found written in your religious books. Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders. Do not believe in traditions because they have been handed down for many generations. But after observation and analysis, when you find that anything agrees with reason and is conducive to the good and benefit of one and all, then accept it and live up to it".
I look forward to taking the test again in a few months and see the results!!!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.