Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: marco torres ( )
Date: January 19, 2012 07:11PM

So now that I am a grownup (mid 30's) I notice the young women I grew up with posting interesting stuff on facebook (gotta love it). The most recent one was Ambien or Lunesta? I was shocked to see how many of them were one one or the other. Add to that the anti-depressants and they are a small pharmacy. These same girls would rather put a bullet in their heads then take a sip of beer or wine but gobble down these pills like candy. I just don't get it but you would think a logical person would think jacking yourself up with pills to go to sleep might be more harmful then a nice glass of wine or beer with dinner. Hypocrosy at it's finest.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ronas ( )
Date: January 19, 2012 07:13PM

Here in Utah Valley I had to go to traffic school.

The main point they stressed in traffic school was that DUI is not limited to alcohol but being under the influence of any drug of any kind that impairs your driving.

Apparently there are lots of TBM DUIs here in happy valley.

Posted by: djmaciii ( )
Date: January 19, 2012 07:16PM

As a teen I always drank Vodka... The Bishops sons drank ROBO! (Robitussin)

Posted by: Tabula Rasa ( )
Date: January 20, 2012 10:37AM

ROBO is "Aunt Jemima" here.

Just sayin'...

Ron

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: January 19, 2012 08:01PM

The wow is so insane! It's full of loop holes. The best way around it is to abandon ship, get a life, go be who you are, and quit worrying yourself to death over such trivial rules that are more a mechanism of control than health. I am so sick of Mo's and their superior attitude. The self appointed God police. They think they can tell someones character by the liquid in their glass. That's so nonsensical it's embarrassing. If they weren't so afraid of people, they might find out that green tea doesn't make that little old lady the spawn of satan.

Posted by: Suckafoo ( )
Date: January 19, 2012 10:11PM

Matthew 15:11

King James Bible (Cambridge Ed.)
Not that which goeth into the mouth defileth a man; but that which cometh out of the mouth, this defileth a man.

Posted by: EssexExMo ( )
Date: January 20, 2012 06:15AM

to paraphrase
dont spit, swallow

Posted by: angelina5 ( )
Date: January 20, 2012 08:27AM

L O V E this!!!!

Posted by: angelina5 ( )
Date: January 20, 2012 09:43AM

Yoga and meditation di wonders for depression also.

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: January 20, 2012 01:32AM

Why would a religion that trivializes death, worry so much about prolonging health? I never understood this.

Posted by: bingoe4 ( )
Date: January 20, 2012 01:52AM

Ambien is a safe drug. I take it and my doctor says it is non-habit forming. He is not worried about me taking it long term. Of course I'd rather not take it, but for now it works. A single glass of wine or one beer is not going to make me fall asleep.

I have a little bit of a problem with people giving anyone on anti-depresants a bad time. Making it sound like they are: bad, a weakness, harmful to bodies, "jacking up their bodies."

These are MEDICATIONS. Depression is as real a medical condition as diabetes or high blood pressure. No one is ever given a hard time about taking medications to fix those problems. Lay off the people who take these to help with a real problem. If you want to blame it on TSCC that is fine. They have become imbalanced because of the strain they endure, or maybe it is a inherited thing that is rampant in Utah.

Posted by: No Mo ( )
Date: January 20, 2012 07:51AM

It helped kill my girlfriend, that and other prescription drugs!

Posted by: marco torres ( )
Date: January 20, 2012 08:31AM

If you look at the possible side affects of both ambien or lunesta (look at their website) they are much worse then alcohol. So a person taking ambien in moderation is a rung above somebody using alcohol in moderation. It just blows my mind how hypocritical this all is.

What's not so funny is that these women on anti-depressants and sleep medication are much less cautious about driving and other peoples safety as the guy who puts back a few after work.

Come on man!

Posted by: imalive ( )
Date: January 20, 2012 08:53AM

I have to take an antidepressent a day to keep my depression at bay. I have MDD (major depressive disorder) and my medicine is a godsend, especially in winter when light levels are low.

Posted by: ontheDownLow ( )
Date: January 20, 2012 01:58AM

I am drinking a wine cooler right now and relaxing to the fine posts on this forum. Thanks guys!

By the way, the biggest epidemic of our era is currently diabetes. All that sugar. Soda pop. Cakes. Candy. Even just the regular sugars in fruits and carbs. Its enough to make your pancreas explode.

So I guess the fat man sitting in the stake high council needs to repent?

So the fat old R.S. sister needs to repent?

So JS, BY, and John Taylor need to repent for their drinking?

Hypocrites!

Posted by: freeman ( )
Date: January 20, 2012 03:00AM

How to TBMs explain away that one?

Ah yes, "it wasn't a commandment back then!"

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: January 20, 2012 10:01AM

She takes Ambien but doesn't like the idea of having to FORCE her mind and body to shut down. She recently started using a breathing exercise and reports great results so far.

I don't know about other people, but when I can't sleep, it's because my brain won't stop mulling over things. I can see how that might be a big problem among Mormons, because the church puts so many things on your plate while demanding perfection in everything. I think that's especially true for LDS women. They could work 24/7 and still not achieve the perfect LDS family and home. How could they be so selfish and irresponsible as to sleep when there's so much left undone?

Posted by: westernwillows ( )
Date: January 20, 2012 10:10AM

I've had depression on and off (the worst being when I was TBM, the second worst being now) I've had it bad enough to the point of making suicide attempts when I was a teenager. Antidepressants can be a wonderful thing, and for many people are very very necessary.

However...

At least for me, lifestyle changes were the #1 thing that helped me overcome my depression. When I moved out of my parent's house and stopped attending church, my depression lifted dramatically! I would still have a down day here and there, but I filled my time with activities and people that I loved. Exercise is vitally important for my mental health, and I have to make sure I do something active every day. How many TBM women take the time to exercise daily? Take time for friends, just to hang out as girls (or with the boys), or sit and meditate for 15 minutes? Hard to do when you have four children under age 5 screaming for your attention. When I was 7, my TBM mom had a complete mental breakdown (3 kids was WAY too much for her) After that, every day, she left us in childcare at the gym for two hours while she exercised. It helped her immensely. It was her treat to herself. My depression now is caused by being in a place that I hate, with very few friends (and the ones that I have aren't close friends) and counting down the days until I get out of here. I do what I can to keep the depression at bay, but every day is a struggle. I would love to change my situation, but I realize in the long run being here is going to get me to a better place.

As far as not sleeping at night, how many TBM women are sucking down the sugar and caffeine all day, eating sugary cookies and sugary punch at evening meetings, feeding their kids processed white carbs? No kidding you're not going to sleep--your body has way too much energy! DH is a caffeine addict and wonders why he can't sleep--and I don't feel bad for him as long as he is drinking those energy drinks all full of sugar and caffeine and eating carbs all day long. A simple change in diet (fruits, veggies, protein) cut out the soda and add a little exercise and I bet the vast majority of these TBM women will be able to get off the antidepressants and sleeping pills.

Posted by: lostsoul ( )
Date: January 20, 2012 11:02AM

westernwillows Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I've had depression on and off (the worst being
> when I was TBM, the second worst being now) I've
> had it bad enough to the point of making suicide
> attempts when I was a teenager. Antidepressants
> can be a wonderful thing, and for many people are
> very very necessary.
>
> However...
>
> At least for me, lifestyle changes were the #1
> thing that helped me overcome my depression. When
> I moved out of my parent's house and stopped
> attending church, my depression lifted
> dramatically! I would still have a down day here
> and there, but I filled my time with activities
> and people that I loved. Exercise is vitally
> important for my mental health, and I have to make
> sure I do something active every day. How many
> TBM women take the time to exercise daily? Take
> time for friends, just to hang out as girls (or
> with the boys), or sit and meditate for 15
> minutes? Hard to do when you have four children
> under age 5 screaming for your attention. When I
> was 7, my TBM mom had a complete mental breakdown
> (3 kids was WAY too much for her) After that,
> every day, she left us in childcare at the gym for
> two hours while she exercised. It helped her
> immensely. It was her treat to herself. My
> depression now is caused by being in a place that
> I hate, with very few friends (and the ones that I
> have aren't close friends) and counting down the
> days until I get out of here. I do what I can to
> keep the depression at bay, but every day is a
> struggle. I would love to change my situation,
> but I realize in the long run being here is going
> to get me to a better place.
>
> As far as not sleeping at night, how many TBM
> women are sucking down the sugar and caffeine all
> day, eating sugary cookies and sugary punch at
> evening meetings, feeding their kids processed
> white carbs? No kidding you're not going to
> sleep--your body has way too much energy! DH is a
> caffeine addict and wonders why he can't
> sleep--and I don't feel bad for him as long as he
> is drinking those energy drinks all full of sugar
> and caffeine and eating carbs all day long. A
> simple change in diet (fruits, veggies, protein)
> cut out the soda and add a little exercise and I
> bet the vast majority of these TBM women will be
> able to get off the antidepressants and sleeping
> pills.

It is interesting that you mention this. I recently posted on another forum that for Mormons, sugar seems to be the drug of choice as opposed to alcohol.

I think that everything is done best in moderation. One glass of red wine at the end of the day is good for the heart, and a good source of anti oxidants that the body needs. A good diet of frutis, veggies, and proteins, as you said, also reinforces those things.

Kind of a funny story...My little brother has been inactive for years, and loves a good red wine. I ordered him a really great Cabernet off of wineshopper.com for Christmas. When he got it, he called me and said, "Hey, Sis, thanks for the booze! If I talk to one of your girls on Facebook, what am I supposed to say you sent me, chocolate milk?" LOL

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: January 20, 2012 10:33AM

but not things like klonopin, etc. My son has been on many of these "meds"--and when he was on Ambien, his doctor told him that when he takes it to immediately go to bed because it can cause hallucinations, etc. He was on this right after his wife left him. I used to sleep on his bedroom floor because of how he acted on Ambien--and he remembers none of it. It was also right after he got Ambien that he made his first suicide gesture.

Although trazodone can become a little wild (crazy colorful dreams)--it is a much safer drug. I take lorazepam now, but usually take 1/4 dose of Benadryl to get to sleep if I'm having a difficult time.

Posted by: imalive ( )
Date: January 21, 2012 07:32PM

I take Trazodone to keep me from getting depressed again and it's a good medicine to help you sleep as well.

Posted by: newme ( )
Date: January 20, 2012 11:04AM

So true! I also know dozens of TBMs who take caffeine pills daily (no doz). I used to when I was active too. So ridiculous.

Posted by: ontheDownLow ( )
Date: January 20, 2012 12:28PM

It doesn't say caffine in the WoW. It says hot drinks and it was interpreted as black tea and coffee.

Of course, it was all B.S. anyways, but I spent many a missionary days and LDS time debating with supposed TBM's who said Coke was forbidden.

My biggest come back to those supposed "self righteous finger pointers" regarding pepsi and coke with caffine was SUGAR. Do you have any idea how much sugar comes in a can of soda pop? It will blow your mind if you see it. Imagine all the sprite and 7-up being filled with that sugar and how it just makes your pancreas feel like its running a sprint, uphill, over rocks, in snow, at very high altitudes.

In other words, the caffine is the lesser of the problem with coke or sodas in general.

Posted by: Outcast ( )
Date: January 20, 2012 09:12PM

My doctor once told me to keep to a minimum anything that in its original state is a white crystal.

Posted by: James Wilmons ( )
Date: January 21, 2012 12:49PM

The biggest loophole in the WOW is the seemingly ignored health code. Why it's dreadful for me to drink a beer but the 350 lb bishop scarfing double cheeseburgers everyday is ok is the biggest loophole in the system. A few beers each week is surely Better for your health than making chicken McNuggets your sacrament bread.

Posted by: James Wilmons ( )
Date: January 21, 2012 12:54PM

The biggest loophole in the WOW is the seemingly ignored health code. Why it's dreadful for me to drink a beer but the 350 lb bishop scarfing double cheeseburgers everyday is ok is the biggest loophole in the system. A few beers each week is Better for your health than making chicken McNuggets your sacrament bread.

Posted by: rowan ( )
Date: January 21, 2012 05:12PM

One man's meat is another man's poison!

The WOW is just another power trip by JS, Jr. He was an ultimate control freak.

Once that I learned this:

"Those that cannot control themselves, seek to control others."

I have learned to spot these control freaks and defuse them before they can get their hooks into me. This took me quite some time to get the hang of.

Anytime, someone has tried to "control" me, I look for their "weak spot". Then I either turn their techniques back on them or just point blank tell them "We are not having this conversation." I have a co-worker that I have used the last one on, and it really sets his temper on fire. He likes to do "verbal battle". Take the battle away from him and he goes all ballastic--really makes a fool out of himself!

Can you imagine, if JS could not have gotten people to listen to him--just where would Mormonism be today?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.