Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: allicat ( )
Date: January 19, 2012 10:46PM

So I am 23 and just out of college, and I"m working in retail right now, and barely making ends meet. I know January is the end of the fiscal year for most retailers, but I haven't been put on the schedule for more than 4 hours in the past two weeks. I've tried e-mailing our general manager twice, and she assured me hours would be more bulky soon.

The problem is its my primary source of income and my rent is due. Does anyone know an effective strategy to negotiate for a shift? I've tried posting on our "shift swap/cover" board but since no one is getting hours, no one is letting go of them either.

I've posted my resume on several job search sites, applied to umpteen new jobs and even registered with the state's government jobs program. I have a bachelor's degree, and while I know the market is still recovering, I'm floundering. Its starting to feel hopeless.

And on top of that all my mormon issues

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: deco ( )
Date: January 19, 2012 10:54PM

Perhaps you might consider paying more in tithing, as many people reap blessings by giving more.

I also think you could use some of your ample nonworking time to clean up around the church, or perhaps doing some tracting to teach people about the gospel.

Date: January 19, 2012 11:06PM

LOL fat chance of that I"m lazy and its below zero out there.

At this point I'd clean the floor of the church with a toothbrush to get paid.

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: January 19, 2012 11:11PM

I worked in retail for years. January february and maybe march, suck! It's always been that way. You may be able to find a little extra work doing inventory somewhere.

Posted by: scarecrowfromoz ( )
Date: January 19, 2012 11:23PM

As someone who made the schedules, the first choice on the amount of hours went to the hardest working, most productive, most versatile workers.

All you can probably do is try to make yourself more valuable. Be more productive, ask to be taught other responsibilities so your boss views you as someone interested in the business, and not just as someone coming in and putting in their time to get a paycheck. Make yourself invaluable so that they want to give you more hours.

Above all, have a positive attitude while you're working. It shouldn't need to be said, but you would be surprised by the number of college age or just out of college people who have no clue as to what they do wrong at work.
1. Whining about "when do I get my break?" ten minutes after they arrive.
2. Taking personal phone calls, texting, etc.
3. General "bad attitude" of complaining about everything, whether it be their lack of money, lack of hours, the weather, their date last night, etc.
4. Gossiping.
5. Doing nothing during lulls. There is always something to do. If you don't know what to do, ask.

Date: January 19, 2012 11:26PM

Thanks!

I've been recognized at the company at least 5 times in corporate customer experience surveys (our customers call in and give us praise) and the CEO of the chain came to the store and complimented me..I definitely do all I can to be "present" at work, and don't call off work.

The problem is the store I work at has 200 workers (I work at a Gap store) so I don't even know who makes the schedule.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: January 20, 2012 12:05AM

Temporary employment agencies can expose you to a wide variety of jobs, and it's not unusual for workers to get job offers from their employers.

Substitute teaching is another idea. Check with local school districts and private schools. I worked most days when I was substituting. You may have to pay a fee for a background check.

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: January 20, 2012 12:29AM

You might try a ready labor service, until hours pick up. You can go in on one of the many days you don't have work, and they will find you a job ditch digging or something. Work is hard, pay is usually minimum wage, but if it comes down between that and keeping the power on and eviction notices away...

Posted by: msmom ( )
Date: January 20, 2012 10:05PM

I know a few people ranging in age from their 20s to some grandmothers who are on call nannies. Providing in home child care a few days a week or weekends. A nice way to pick up some extra cash and contacts. Sometimes they do light housekeeping as well.

Good luck pulling some $$ together

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.