Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: quebec ( )
Date: January 20, 2012 11:28AM

If any of you have aver been at the MFA in Boston, could you give me your general impressions? (ex. did you feel welcome there, did they have a lot of activities going on, etc)
I'd like to find out if the impressions I get from their sites (and others) are right.
It's for a paper I'm doing for school.
Thanks for your time

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/20/2012 11:28AM by quebec.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: maiki ( )
Date: January 20, 2012 12:12PM

Hi, I'm a nevermormon, but I've been several times (Boston resident). I've been to a concert in the courtyard, it was nice and very chill (small icelandic band). The museum itself is like many big, overarching museums -- it has rooms with different themes, from egyptian pottery to contemporary photography to european classical art and everything else. Halls are decorated to fit the themes occasionally -- the Asian rooms are nice. Personnel is friendly and courteous, but not chatty. I get emails from them every once in a while for new temporary exhibits and one-night-only events. Museum is clean and spacious and very large.

Date: January 20, 2012 12:16PM

Thank you so much for the feeback! I truely appreciate it ; )

Posted by: kestrafinn (not logged in) ( )
Date: January 20, 2012 12:40PM

Many times, and I love it. They recently did a new expansion for an American art wing and did some nice renovations to the general services provided around the museum.

It has a little bit of everything for everyone, and many of the exhibits rotate out so there's always something new to see.

Absolutely felt welcome there - I'm not an "art snob" by any means, and not well educated on the Masters, although I'd recognize names if you mentioned them.

Wednesday nights are free to the public - they request donations, but it's a "pay what you can" night, which is great. I generally go on those nights, and there's usually a great mix of people there - all nationalities and ages.

Posted by: kestrafinn (not logged in) ( )
Date: January 20, 2012 12:41PM

Many times, and I love it. They recently did a new expansion for an American art wing and did some nice renovations to the general services provided around the museum.

It has a little bit of everything for everyone, and many of the exhibits rotate out so there's always something new to see.

Absolutely felt welcome there - I'm not an "art snob" by any means, and not well educated on the Masters, although I'd recognize names if you mentioned them. I didn't feel like I was out of place in any way.

Wednesday nights are free to the public - they request donations, but it's a "pay what you can" night, which is great. I generally go on those nights, and there's usually a great mix of people there - all nationalities and ages.

Posted by: bignevermo ( )
Date: January 20, 2012 12:47PM

9 am and wont be able to check in to the hotel till later!! glad i saw this!! :)

Posted by: en passant ( )
Date: January 20, 2012 12:49PM

I didn't have enough time to see it all and I would love to go back. It's a wonderful place--world class, stuffed with centuries worth of great artworks.

And if you're in DC, the National Gallery is probably even more impressive--and it's free.

Date: January 20, 2012 01:06PM

Thank you so much guys.
The course I'm taking this semester is about the aspects of public, services and education in museums and we had to chose one that was not around our area and somehow I ended up on the Boston's MFA website and decided to do my work on it but since I can not go there (at least not at this time) I wanted to get some feedback from people and not just what I found on the internet.

Posted by: EssexExMo ( )
Date: January 20, 2012 03:20PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/20/2012 03:21PM by EssexExMo.

Posted by: msmom ( )
Date: January 20, 2012 09:52PM

My mom is a member there and she wanted to see an exhibit that is leaving February 2 - Degas Nudes. Mom usually only has about one hours worth of museum energy so we pick one thing and go see that, then get a snack and head home.

It is always a nice place to be, but expensive admission. Mom had 2 free tickets with her membership so she brought me and a mutual friend today.

There were quite a few school groups, high school on down in age. All seemed interested and engaged.

Posted by: xMo ( )
Date: January 21, 2012 12:02AM

It's one of the best on the east coast. Great ancient Egyptian wing, probably the best outside of NYC.

Posted by: jf ( )
Date: January 21, 2012 11:43PM

Good to hear so many nice comments about the MFA. My uncle was Curator there for 29 years.

Posted by: Anono ( )
Date: January 22, 2012 11:57AM

The Boston MFA is an excellent comprehensive museum -- it would take a long time to really see everything on exhibit. It also presents many special shows and exhibitions -- I first visited the museum to see a wonderful show comparing Titian, Tintoretto and Veronese. It does however have a rather high admission charge

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.