Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: January 24, 2012 01:30PM

Today on The View, Barbara Walters pointed out the millions of dollars that Mitt Romney gives to the Mormon Church and Ms. Hasselbeck indignantly replied "Who CARES what charity he donates his money to? I'm sure Obama gives a tithe to his church too."

Get a clue, Lizzie. Not all charities are created equal. Before you donate to any charity, you should try and see how much of your donation actually goes to those in need. In Mormonism, most of the tithing money received goes to buying land and building on that land. Giving money to the developers of a new Disneyland would be as charitable as giving to the LDS church. The Mormon church doesn't disclose how it spends the money it's members donate, but from what little they have said, they give as much of their annual income to actually helping others - to helping the needy - as Walmart or any other major corporation. That is to say, a very small percentage.

Secondly, do you really believe Obama gives 10 percent of his gross income to tithing at his church? Because not all church donations are created equal, are defined equally and most definitely are not used equally. Not all churches extort that tithe out of their members by threatening to take away their family for eternity.

The media flipped out when Romney said "Corporations are people" but giving your money to a corporation and calling it charity isn't cool either. Ms. Hasselbeck needs to be informed about what is and isn't charity before she proclaims "who cares".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/24/2012 01:31PM by CA girl.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: godesstogodless ( )
Date: January 24, 2012 01:56PM

She has climbed on the Mitt wagon I think a little to quickly. She definately isn't the smartest one of the bunch. I like to see it when Joy goes head to head with her. She is a quaterback wife - a trophy wife - she belongs on FOX news in my opinion.

Posted by: rj ( )
Date: January 24, 2012 02:00PM

I find it hilarious that THIS is the issue that has you crying for a wake up call. Maybe you don't watch the view much. This isn't even on the list of silliest things that woman has said.

Date: January 24, 2012 02:35PM

I'm usually working by that time. But I believe what you say about Hasselbeck. If all her comments are similar, she must be good entertainment for those who like dumb blonde jokes.

Posted by: helemon ( )
Date: January 24, 2012 09:32PM

She is playing her role as the voice of the conservative female on the show. Just like how Alan Combs played the liberal role on Fox. Her whole purpose seems to be to provide some semblence of an opposing viewpoint to the other women. I doubt she would stay on the show if she held the same political viewpoint as the other women. Walters is the respectable intellectual journalist, Whoopie the funny black woman, Behar the mouthy liberal New Yorker. They need somebody to appeal to the conservative white midwestern rural women.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: January 24, 2012 02:07PM

Hasselbeck needs another beating by Bill Maher.

Posted by: deco ( )
Date: January 24, 2012 02:39PM

Dave the Atheist Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hasselbeck needs another beating by Bill Maher.

+100

It would be nice if someone were to forward some of BKP's better quotes to Mahar. He enjoys all things mormon.

Posted by: helamonster ( )
Date: January 24, 2012 02:09PM

Seriously, the woman must have the IQ of a potato. I can actually feel my own intelligence dropping whenever I watch her.

Posted by: Ex-CultMember ( )
Date: January 24, 2012 02:18PM

She's dumb, but I don't actually blame her for assuming a church, even LDS Inc, is a "charity."

We are one of the few who actually understands that LDS Inc is a piss poor charity, if we can even call it that. Most Mo's and never-Mo's just assume its going to "help people." Only ex-Mo's know most of this money goes to malls, marketing, real estate and very expensive and exclusive temples.

Posted by: Ex-CultMember ( )
Date: January 24, 2012 02:21PM

To add, Mormonism's 10% "tithing" is NOT used for the poor or helping people. That's what the separate "fast offering fund" is for, which I'm sure is pretty paltry since Most Mo's probably stop at the 10%.

Date: January 24, 2012 02:33PM

That she can't just say "who CARES" what charity money is given to. That's so irresponsible. What if Mitt gave to Bobby's House, which is a cover for the KKK or something? Then would we all be entitled to care? I agree that it's her naive belief that all church's are created equal or the Mormon whitewashing machine doing their job or something. But the whole idea we aren't supposed to care about where money goes, as long as the group calls itself a charity is ridiculous.

Posted by: fubecona ( )
Date: January 24, 2012 03:18PM

I agree that the church shouldn't be called a charity but Hasselbeck is just parroting what most of the conservative TV and radio pundits are saying. I've heard lots of them refer to Romney's tithing payments as "donations to charity." Is she wrong? Yeah but is she stupid? I don't think that's fair to say. I mean, she's no less informed than most of the American public is about the reality of what the LDS church does with it's tithing dollars. And for that matter, no less informed than most MEMBERS are about what the church does with tithing dollars. The real problem, like you said, is that the church is not forthcoming about how it spends that money and that it misrepresents itself as a charitable organization.

Posted by: Glo ( )
Date: January 24, 2012 03:27PM

Hasslebitch is such a tool.

But no matter, Romney is dropping steadily in the polls because right-wingers prefer an adulterer to a Mormon.

How can that be? LOL

Posted by: honestone ( )
Date: January 24, 2012 09:09PM

Hey there....I am a conservative on most things and I DO prefer an adulterer to a Mormon. Just don't prefer an adulterer as my bed partner. Give these conservatives some slack....they pick a man whose morals have been far from stellar over some sleek guy who is in a cult. I say Horray!!!It proves they have some smarts, right?

Posted by: holistic ( )
Date: January 24, 2012 03:32PM

She represents the dumb conservatives out there. I think it's hilarious as well, thanks for bringing it to mind. She looks and acts like a typical Mormon lady...."Everything is great in Zion." blah blah blah....that's what they want you to believe hunny now take another one of your pills.

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: January 24, 2012 03:47PM

I'm amazed she's still showing her face...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11I5B9Y6awY

Edit: Should've been posted as a reply to Dave the Atheist...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/24/2012 03:48PM by SL Cabbie.

Posted by: doubleb ( )
Date: January 24, 2012 05:24PM

...and adding to both SL Cabbie and Dave the Atheist's posts, here's a YouTube clip of what Maher said on the View that got him in such hot water with Hasselbeck:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yg-uJkmkydU

Posted by: informer ( )
Date: January 25, 2012 09:27AM

It looks like Baba Wawa was WAY OVER Liz Assholeback's self-centered personal drama-trauma too. LOL!

Posted by: honestone ( )
Date: January 24, 2012 09:05PM

She is a loser on this one. She is just so ill informed about Mormonism like so many people. Guess some of you need to fill her in and maybe she will keep her trap shut. She tries to be nice and sticks foot in mouth. I certainly care how my financial donations are used. But in Mormonism no one knows. Well, not the little people.

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: January 25, 2012 04:02AM

For the sake of arguing, donating money to the church is not the same thing as donating money to build a new Disneyland. You are talking about an institution that brings happiness to millions of people, vs a large corporation that tells a bunch of far fetched stories, with questionable moral values, in order to separate the gullible from their pocket books. Wait, which one was which...OK, clearly Disneyland is the first example since it actually brings happiness. Glad I cleared that up.

Date: January 25, 2012 09:29AM

Posted by: anon for this ( )
Date: January 25, 2012 02:27PM

..... next to me! :)

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.