Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: helamonster ( )
Date: January 25, 2012 04:35PM

I've based much of this post on a comment I saw a stand-up comedienne deliver once. So if any of this seems familiar, that's why.

There are very few "cool kids" in the world. Most of us are dorks. Yet, we dorks spend most of our lives trying to SEEM like we're cool kids.

That's where the morg fits in. It's a giant club of dorks, that tries to convince its members that they are actually cool. The results are frequently hilarious, and sometimes downright tragic.

True peace of mind and happiness come from embracing our inner dorkitude. I am dork; hear me roar!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: January 25, 2012 04:46PM

or nerdy, or geeky. Certainly better than acting like a tool or a d-bag who's "cool."

Posted by: helamonster ( )
Date: January 25, 2012 04:50PM

about what others think of you.

But when you find those who truly care about you (instead of "assigned firends"), they embrace that side of you which is dorky, nerdy, geeky.

Posted by: Helen ( )
Date: February 06, 2012 09:48AM

helamonster Wrote:
------------------------------------------------------->
> But when you find those who truly care about you
> (instead of "assigned firends"), they embrace that
> side of you which is dorky, nerdy, geeky.

Posted by: AKA Alma ( )
Date: January 25, 2012 04:53PM

I've embraced my introverted nature... When I was a low level drone I was always a secretary of some nature, and was always treated like there was something wrong with me because I wasn't as outgoing and chatty as the other men.

Turns out that nothing is actually wrong with me, they were just all terrible conversationalists.

Posted by: Timothy ( )
Date: January 25, 2012 05:06PM

"Turns out that nothing is actually wrong with me, they were just all terrible conversationalists."

There you have it in a nutshell!

Brilliant observation, strivingforbalance!

Timothy

Posted by: spencerljensen ( )
Date: February 06, 2012 08:33AM

Posted by: Raptor Jesus ( )
Date: January 25, 2012 06:02PM

I love heavy metal and comic books.

Mormonism has hated my kind since before we began to roam the earth.

It just took me 25 years to say to the church, "Wait a minute, I know you hate me and you want me to hate me. But I don't hate me....I HATE YOU!"

And my heart has never been so full of love since.

Posted by: jaredsotherbrother ( )
Date: January 25, 2012 06:06PM

I think the biggest thing that has helped me in all aspects of life has been my ability to laugh at myself, and damn near everything else.

The Church is a joke, church is a joke, life is a joke. Have fun with it.

Posted by: forestpal ( )
Date: January 25, 2012 06:17PM

How do you define "dorkiness?" I grew up as a semi-introvert (by Mormon standards, that is) in a university neighborhood, in a family of PhD's. I NEVER thought doctors, economists, researchers, psychologists, geologists, astronomers, and the like were "dorky." I could listen to their ramblings, lectures, slide-shows, silly science puns all night--and often did!

I love strivingforbalance's comment! So true! Who can make scintillating conversations out of subjects like the BOM, church callings, General Conference talks, boring meeting, petty ward gossip. And they call us introverts, because reading a book is more interesting than to listening to these dorks.

Helamonster, just going by your posts, I would never in a million years classify you as a "dork."

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: January 26, 2012 10:22AM

Learning to like yourself for who you are is a big part of recovery. Only accepting real friends who like you for who you are is another.

Posted by: Pil-Latté ( )
Date: February 06, 2012 09:13AM

The church wants women to have certain talents that I tried for years to have and I never quite developed them...and it's okay!!

Posted by: hobblecreek ( )
Date: February 06, 2012 09:14AM

Modern day mormonism is all about fitting in. At the individual level that means dressing liker other members do, living like other members do, thinking like other members do. At the church level it means mainstream acceptance as just another Christian denomination full of normal people (which just happens to be the only true and living church on the face of the earth).

Posted by: hobblecreek ( )
Date: February 06, 2012 10:18AM

I was a dork as a mormon, a loner, never really part of the church club, never a good fit for the mormon culture. As an exmormon I still feel like an outsider since I am still religious and exmormon boards like this one are generally full of atheists. But I also do not feel comfortable with the bible thumping crowd. I guess I'll just continue to go my own way as I've always done.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: February 06, 2012 09:51AM

...you get to be like Duckie Dale in "Pretty in Pink" -- King of the Nerds. Such an aspiration.

I think understanding and accepting ourselves is part of maturing. The people who are still trying to be someone else, still seeking approval, probably haven't matured.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/06/2012 09:51AM by Stray Mutt.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.